Active Topics

After rebooting, the only menu item displayed when pressing the power button is "Phone"..

I read that there's something wrong with my "<!--"s but I don't know what I did wrong since I followed the instructions precisely.

edit:

attached an image of what my systemui.xml looks like
Attached Images

Last edited by brog; 2010-04-04 at 17:00.

The <!-- and --> entries act to comment out certain items. These surround the thing that you don't want to be in the menu. So if you want the just the reboot button to appear you need to make sure that the <!-- is after the <menuitem that has details for rebooting.

The Following User Says Thank You to codeMonkey For This Useful Post:
From what I can see in that image things look correct there, so the problem is probably somewhere higher up. If you made a copy of the systemui.xml as per the first post you should be able to copy this over your existing file to at least get back to how you started and try again.

The Following User Says Thank You to codeMonkey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 436 | Thanked: 298 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ England
Hi brog, i think codemonkey is correct.
im really sorry but i dont know how you use the copy you made to restore your original?

what i will do though is if you create screenshots of the whole text file from top to bottom i will compare it to mine on my N900 and let you know where the differences are.

perhaps this is where this leafpad program could come in useful

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fraaaaanka For This Useful Post:
I restored the original as follows:
Code:
/home/user # cd /etc/systemui
/etc/systemui # rm systemui.xml
/etc/systemui # mv systemui.xml.bak systemui.xml
/etc/systemui # reboot
After the reboot everything was back to normal.

I repeated the steps in your tutorial and got it working!
I have no clue what went wrong. Maybe I accidentaly deleted something somewhere in the xml

Thanks for your help

Last edited by brog; 2010-04-04 at 18:09.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to brog For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by brog View Post
I repeated the steps in your tutorial and it works now. I have no clue, what went wrong. Maybe I accidentaly deleted something somewhere in the xml

Thanks for your help
excellent, glad its sorted!

Well as it turned out it was my inability to follow even the simplest guidelines
Thanks for the nice guide. Already love the reboot button. Makes everything so much easier.

Posts: 188 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Just a quick note: you don't need to reboot to change powerkeymenu contents, just
Code:
killall systemui
to restart systemui and trigger reloading of systemui.xml. Much faster than rebooting the device!

cell-modem-ui: home | packages - status: 0.5.1-1 in Extras
nowplayingd: home | packages - status: 0.1-2 in extras-devel
custom-pwkmenu: home - no packages yet.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tuminoid For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tuminoid View Post
Just a quick note: you don't need to reboot to change powerkeymenu contents, just
Code:
killall systemui
to restart systemui and trigger reloading of systemui.xml. Much faster than rebooting the device!
thanks tuminoid, edited my description and added your suggestion is as 16a

Posts: 60 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Oregon
Thanks OP. Been wanting to do this since I found out about it but have been putting it off since I don't have the basic knowledge to even navigate x-term