Notices

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by wazza747 View Post
hi all.

have managed to get rdesktop working with my home wifi but cant seem to get the setting correct with my 3 data connection. have read this whole thread but cant seem to find the answer. can someone please assist? thanks in advance.
how do you access your home network from your mobile data connection?

you have to set up proper rules on your router / firewall so RDP (the network protocol for rdesktop) is accessible from the outside.

i wouldn't recommend that though, it's a big, BIG security risk.

The Following User Says Thank You to SubCore For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SubCore View Post
how do you access your home network from your mobile data connection?

you have to set up proper rules on your router / firewall so RDP (the network protocol for rdesktop) is accessible from the outside.

i wouldn't recommend that though, it's a big, BIG security risk.
Thanks SubCore.

I have actually got it working but as my ip is not static with my ISP it will change my access point each time I reboot the router. I assume this makes it a little more safe but I have changed the standard access port for RDC and am using that for the access from my N900...it was more of a playing around thing more than anything else. If I know I want to use it. I will now be able to switch it on and off as needed before I leave the house each day.

for those who're interested - the latest GUI version (1.7-maemo3) is usable both as a GUI (when launched from the app icon or a shortcut) but also as a command line version - by calling rdesktop directly from xterm.

In 1.7-maemo1, doing that would just pop up the GUI but with 1.7-maemo3, it will give the same help screen ad rdesktop-cli 1.6.0 does.

If you run 1.7-maemo3 with parameters, it therfore runs just as rdesktop-cli does, and accepts all the same parameters.

There is however also a special case which I discovered lurking in the hildon desktop file. Call it as follows from xterm:

rdesktop empty-server-arg

and the GUI will pop up.

So far, so what you say? Well, I need to connect to two separate servers that are behind firewalls & the f/w only lets through RDP traffic originating from my home static IP. So when I'm out & about I set up a ssh dynamic proxy from n900 back to my home PC. I then tsocks into an rdesktop-cli session so that the RDP goes to the target server via my home PC (thereby presenting my home static IP to the f/w). That solved my remote access problem, but left me reliant on the cli variant (i.e. full screen only, no right click etc.).

With the new GUI, I can change the script called by my existing desktop shortcut (which kicks off the ssh and then calls rdesktop-cli via tsocks) so that it calls rdesktop instead of rdesktop-cli. That means I get the full functionality (with right click and the ability to minimise/restore rdesktop mid-session).

Many thanks to the authors for their contnued work on this life saving app. The above is probably of limited interest to most, who'll just be using the GUI , but for anyone like me it's very cmonvenient :-)

ps: there was an old query on this thread abuot why the MyDocs folder sharing option didn't work in the GUI ... I've recently sussed that it does work, but the target host must be W2K3 or newer,, it doesn't work with W2K server

pps: I guess the same CLI enablement probably applies equally to 1.7-maemo2 but I skipped that install so not sure.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pigro For This Useful Post:
It seems thad Domain name cannot be bigger than 15 characters (including dots).
I have 16 characters domain name and logging in to win2008 server it said incorrect username or password. And if I looked the username on screen there was one letter missing in the end of domain name.

As an example domain name is: ad.fourdomain.ee
After incorrect password message the username in win2008 server shows ad.forudomain.e\administrator. One "e" is missing.
Of cource I can change the username after that on server screen and then log in, but it takes time everytime.

Originally Posted by ZeeD View Post
Do you know are there any plans to implement "virtual" resolution like native windows RDP client has?
Like "mstsc host /w:1600 /h:1200"
We don't have plans like that.

Juha

Last edited by juaalto; 2010-03-18 at 19:50.

The Following User Says Thank You to juaalto For This Useful Post:
I have just tried Rdesktop 1.7-maemo3 but does not seems to work for me. Some more info:

1. VNC is working on my N900
2. I enter my local IP address, my windows 7 (64bit) username and password
3. My "Allow remote assistance connections to this computer" is checked in Win7
4. My error message with GUI version: "RDesktop cannot connect"
5. My error message with command line version:
EINPROGRESS in connect() - selecting
Timeout in select() - Cancelling!
6. Connecting both my phone and laptop via WIFI
7. I leave domain field empty...
8. I'm using the very latest maemo: 3.2010.02-8.203-1

Can you please help me? :-)

Tried rdesktop-cli 1.6.3 but got the same error message.
Do I need further windows 7 or router configuration? (VNC works, I am using UltraVNC on windows)

have you opened your firewall? RDP uses port 3389 by default (IIRC - google to confirm)

also if possible check you can connect to the target fron a machine other than n900.

Pigro: thank you very much for your answer, you asked the right question: I wasn't able to connect from other PC.

The problem was that I was trying to connect via RDP to Windows 7 Home Premium and it is supported only by Professional, Business, and Ultimate versions.

Anyway, RDP is cool, it can use the native resolution of the client screen, in this case 800x480, so I don't need to scroll the screen. I was using VNC before, and I didn't find this solution before, so for googlers: (sorry for the offtopic)

- How can I use 800x480 on N900 through VNC or change windows resolution to 800x480 using virtual video drivers?
- There are virtual drivers but are only available for WinXP. I recommend using RDP (Remote Desktop Connection) (rdesktop on N900 in maemos-devel repository) it will log-on in 800x480 to Windows. Also, RDP is faster than VNC.

Last edited by accord; 2010-04-05 at 18:35.

1.7 maemo 3 seems to solve alot of the problems I was having, but there's still a few niggling issues.

1) scrolling down a window in windowed mode doesn't refresh the screen, I just get white space until i force something to refresh. Strange, cause scrolling up works just fine. Also happens in fullscreen with the bottom right button button making a white trail on the right side of the screen.

2) speaking of the button, is there a way to get rid of it? perhaps a toggleable option to have it not show up? its really unsightly as it is, and there are ways to get back to desktop without it (ctrl backspace, proximityD). if its possible to add a menu to rdesktop (tap the toolbar at top when in windowed), could put the fullscreen option there.

3) When i run the program by itself, the volume up and down keys will trigger hildon's volume control once and take rdesktop out of fullscreen (subsequent presses will correctly pass to the remote machine). this can be remedied by connecting to the server via rdesktop's command line, but it will sometimes still occur if you bring rdesktop out of fullscreen manually and go back to fullscreen. what's going on here? I want the keys (F7 and F8) to properly transmit to the remote session without sending to Hildon

4) is there really no better way for right click to be implemented? half the time i get stuck in fn-lock or something and i have to push the ctrl or fn key multiple times to get it unstuck. much better than not having a right click at all, compared to the old cli version, but there has to be a better way.

Despite these issues I'm getting, everything else seems to work great! Thanks for updating the program, the ability to change window on the N900 during an rdp session is great! if these above issues are worked out I can finally stop carrying around my N810 as an rdp client (still has the perk of having more hardware buttons, though. *sigh* can't have everything in this world).

The Following User Says Thank You to IcyAirs For This Useful Post:
Has anyone managed to get remote desktop working on Windows Home Premium 64 bit?

I tried to use termsrv but it seems it doesn't work with the 64bit version