Active Topics

One thing I've found with my 770 is I am using it as an ipod much more than I had expected. It plays music well and I also have a lot of music videos that I can play on it. Right now I have a 1 GB card, but was wondering if I had more than one, say one with music on it and one with videos on it, can I simply "hot-swap" them or do I have to power down to switch cards?

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
RSMMC cards can be removed/inserted, with a dialogue box saying "Memory Card Inserted". The 770 will also automatically umount/mount the card.

*Edit: I wouldn't feel comfortable doing this while the 770 is accessing the card, just in case (ie playing an MP3, video, etc)

I've hot swapped a card while FBReader had an e-book open from the RS-MMC card. While I had the card out, I actually replaced the e-book text with a new version and then popped the card back in. It didn't seem to have any ill effects, but I didn't play around with it for too long. I switched back to the library index view, then tapped the same book, and the new version came up with my latest changes. No crashes. Like Hedgecore says, though, it's probably different with something like an MP3 file.

Neil, where did you get your 1gb card? They don't seem widely available. I ordered one through eBay but have yet to receive it.

The Following User Says Thank You to rr0123 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
I think the device knows when the door is opened and unmounts the card before the card is actually removed. The "card removed" thing shows when the door is opened, NOT when it's actually removed. Anyone with more tech knowledge on the subject want to volunteer to dissect it?

Amazon has them for $78 (sandisk):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...onics&v=glance

I also found 1Gb cards on Kingston's and Trancend's sites (~$80). I've had better luck with these two companies vs. Sandisk, but that's that's just a personal pref. And I've been able to swap cards with the unit running with no problems whatsoever.

-j

I bought a 1gig sandisk from buy.com for $79.95 and a sandisk usb sd,mini sd, mmc, rs mmc, transflash card reader/writer for $13. It's working great. I wanted to store some pdf on there....pdf reader is a big disappointment. My nokia 9290 does pdf much better than the 770. At this rate I don't think I'll be using the pdf reader.

The weird thing is that I'm having problems reading the 64 meg nokia card that came with the 770. The nokia card have 2 rows of contatcs on it and my rs-mmc that I bought only have one. My regular mmc card on my phones have 1 row of contacts also. I have no problems with them. The 64meg mmc that came with the nokia keeps on disappearing and reappearing and I have problem opening it from my memory card reader. It doesn't have any problem on the 770. Keeps telling me it's corrupted. Is this mmc-mobile or rs-mmc? Aren't they backward compatible?

the card that comes with is a dual voltage card. it shouldn't have a problem with a card reader unless the card reader doesn't support the dv cards for some reason. i have several of the cards from different Nokia phones including the one from the 770 and none of them give me any trouble when i use the card reader built into my laptop or my belkin card reader i have on the other computer.