Active Topics

Poll: Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!
Poll Options
Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel.
Originally Posted by tidusuk123 View Post
Hi guys. Sorry for the double post but can anyone help me on this? Thanks.
To permanently fix the limit edit the scaling_max_freq setting in /etc/pmconfig (using vi).
"vi" - File editor that is apart of almost every linux distribution,
among those is the one on the n900.
vi uses some odd keyboard shortcuts to get around, the advantage is that when you get used to it, it's far superior than notepad.

You need to edit a file called pmconfig, which is located in side /etc
to do that, go tp applications on your phone : (make sure you have rootsh installed 1st)
1. Start X Terminal
2. Type : sudo gainroot
2.5. Backup your file, "cp /etc/pmconfig /etc/pmconfig.old"
2.8. To restore : "cp /etc/pmconfig.old /etc/pmconfig"
3. Type : vi /etc/pmconfig - you can now move around with the arrow keys, but you cannot edit the text yet.
4. Locate the cursor where you want to insert text, press "i".
5. You are now in edit mode, be careful in what you are doing - you can type in new letter, and delete with backspace and delete, write in what you need, press ESC.
6. You are not out of edit mode, make sure you did what you needed to do, to save and exit the file you press : ":wq" (with the ":") and ENTER.

It's not "code" just bash commands, like you had batch commands in DOS.
| DonateMe - If you feel I helped you in a very good way, feel free to donate |

The Following User Says Thank You to eitama For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
OC observations after 2 days at 800mhz kernel (no DSP OC)

1. Conky is our friend, since provides us insight
2. Built in media player is a resource hog (50 to 60% playing 160kb MP3?!)
3. Canola has better volume and folder options for media, but takes 60 to 70% cpu (bleh)
4. Played Duke Nukem several times (longest one hour). No heat issues compared to 600mhz- seems the same.
5. Helps PSX4ALL and MAME a bunch
6. Nice bridge for Flash until 10.1 is released (I may go down to the 700 mhz when it is).

Of course, for all good things, there tends to be bad things. Battery drains quicker for a device that already is battery life challenged. Wifi on, playing Duke N, playing a few Flash games, watching a few Flash vids and browsing the web- less than three hours before needed a recharge.

All said, it would be better for Nokia to release a more efficient version of the OS, Flash 10.1 beta and better audio and video drivers, rather than tweet about not OC the N900. Most of us simply want the device to perform as it does when OC'd.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rushmore For This Useful Post:
Posts: 263 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ wales
just reflashed firmware and emmc and refashed kernel with 800. jesus i thought it flew before, its supersonic when ur phone is clean

The Following User Says Thank You to dscobsct For This Useful Post:
Posts: 46 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Makati, Philippines
Hi guys. Sorry for the double post but can anyone help me on this? Thanks.
You need to edit /etc/pmconfig (pmconfig is a file) using a text editor, such as vi.

If you don't know how to use vi (it's not necessarily as easy as pie -- or notepad -- I needed to use a cheat sheet to get the hang of it! lol), you can try leafpad -- it's on Extras, I think.

When you edit pmconfig, you'll see:

Code:
scaling_max_freq 600000
Just change 600000 to the frequency you want.

Edit: eitama, you beat me to it! lol

The Following User Says Thank You to JMacalinao For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
OC observations after 2 days at 800mhz kernel (no DSP OC)

1. Conky is our friend, since provides us insight
2. Built in media player is a resource hog (50 to 60% playing 160kb MP3?!)
3. Canola has better volume and folder options for media, but takes 60 to 70% cpu (bleh)
4. Played Duke Nukem several times (longest one hour). No heat issues compared to 600mhz- seems the same.
5. Helps PSX4ALL and MAME a bunch
6. Nice bridge for Flash until 10.1 is released (I may go down to the 700 mhz when it is).

Of course, for all good things, there tends to be bad things. Battery drains quicker for a device that already is battery life challenged. Wifi on, playing Duke N, playing a few Flash games, watching a few Flash vids and browsing the web- less than three hours before needed a recharge.

All said, it would be better for Nokia to release a more efficient version of the OS, Flash 10.1 beta and better audio and video drivers, rather than tweet about not OC the N900. Most of us simply want the device to perform as it does when OC'd.
Just food for thought, after (hypothetically) they make the device so it runs @ 600MHz like it runs now @ 800 MHz, will you be tempted to OC it again to 800 and post the exact same thing? (;

(Don't get angry I can relate to your post 100%, I am just kidding).

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by eitama View Post
Just food for thought, after (hypothetically) they make the device so it runs @ 600MHz like it runs now @ 800 MHz, will you be tempted to OC it again to 800 and post the exact same thing? (;

(Don't get angry I can relate to your post 100%, I am just kidding).
You do have a point, in that EVERYTHING is relative

I do know that the interface and Flash content was laggy and now it is not. Tested at 600mhz again just to check for placebo effect- no sugar pills here!

Added

Interesting to see what happens with OS 1.2, since I wonder if Nokia delay releasing to add code to try and stop the OC efforts?

Whatever they do, PLEASE fix pulseaudio and it's resource & battery draining ways- jeesh. A 160kb MP3 should not take over half of the CPU- especially since the 3430 has hardware decoding for MP3. Leverage the built-in decoding hardware with drivers and not beat the CPU to death. Pulseaudio is a bigger danger than OC (I guess I am joking).

Last edited by Rushmore; 2010-04-07 at 12:53.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rushmore For This Useful Post:
Interesting thing - when I use that kernel, which is able to scale from 125-1200 (from Titan, I think, scaling up to 900) and is capable of getting info from scaling_min a scaling_max files ... the power consumtion is much higher then in the case of the original 125-900 kernel. When I charge my nokia in the evening, enable ICQ and go to sleep, in case of 125-1200 (scaling up to 900) the line in BatteryGraph is much steeper than in the second case ...

Originally Posted by eitama View Post
"vi" - File editor that is apart of almost every linux distribution,
among those is the one on the n900.
vi uses some odd keyboard shortcuts to get around, the advantage is that when you get used to it, it's far superior than notepad.

You need to edit a file called pmconfig, which is located in side /etc
to do that, go tp applications on your phone : (make sure you have rootsh installed 1st)
1. Start X Terminal
2. Type : sudo gainroot
2.5. Backup your file, "cp /etc/pmconfig /etc/pmconfig.old"
2.8. To restore : "cp /etc/pmconfig.old /etc/pmconfig"
3. Type : vi /etc/pmconfig - you can now move around with the arrow keys, but you cannot edit the text yet.
4. Locate the cursor where you want to insert text, press "i".
5. You are now in edit mode, be careful in what you are doing - you can type in new letter, and delete with backspace and delete, write in what you need, press ESC.
6. You are not out of edit mode, make sure you did what you needed to do, to save and exit the file you press : ":wq" (with the ":") and ENTER.

It's not "code" just bash commands, like you had batch commands in DOS.
]

Thanks a lot. Finally getting somewhere. It's just the last bit where you save and exit. I must be doing it wrong but after pressing ESC where do I type the ":wq"? I typed it in and nothing happens...

]

Thanks a lot. Finally getting somewhere. It's just the last bit where you save and exit. I must be doing it wrong but after pressing ESC where do I type the ":wq"? I typed it in and nothing happens...
Once you press ESC, you exit the "edit mode" and now most of the keys you press on the keyboard will be commands for the vi editor.

Typing ":wq" should appear on the bottom, and means :
: write & quit, not sure what the ":" means. but they are needed.

The file should be closed then, don't forget ENTER after you type those. This must work (:

The Following User Says Thank You to eitama For This Useful Post:
can a CPU guru answer me a question plz? what i want to know is what stresses a CPU more, running at max frequency or maxing the usage of the CPU to 100%? and whats the dif between frequency and usage? thanx v much to anyone that can answer

The Following User Says Thank You to biggzy For This Useful Post:

Tags
cooking on gas, cortex-a8, faster, first to fry it wins!, hardware, its smoking, n900, need for speed, need for weed, nos, omap, omap3, omap3430, overclock, overclocking, soc, system-on-a-chip, the dogs, this thread got good!, vtec just kicked in y0!, warranty will be void, whooplah, zoom zoom