Active Topics

Hey Guys,

T-Mobile's service is pretty spotty around me. I know they offer WiFi calling on a myriad of their devices but I have yet to see any mention of WiFi calling on the N900.

Please tell me this is possible... If so, any DIY's out there?

Thanks,

Mike

Posts: 178 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Texas
skyp and goggle talk will work

Why does it have to be T-Mobile? Any SIP will do.

Posts: 197 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Europe
maybe you should mention where you life, at least the country ;-)
next step (or even the first one) would be to call T-Mob and complain about it.
maybe there are some solutions such as what AT&T offers to there customers (pico cell UMTS hotspots).

and finally... you could try to get a SIP phone application (which is already build into the N900) and use a provider such as sipgate.co.uk (or .de or something else) and use your phone as a WiFi phone.... but then you need a WiFi connection everywhere.

another option could be to simply swap your sim card with a card from another provider.

I'd suggest using a proper standard like SIP to call over IP. There is a number of SIP providers. You will also be able to use the account on your laptop/PC/any other device.

Here is a good list: http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/S...king+Providers

I use www.blueface.ie as I am in .ie land. They work well.

Hope that helps.

Previous discussion, Brainstorm.

As for the implications that it's not a proper standard, it is a 3GPP standard, just not very widely implemented. SIP is great if you want VOIP-only (over wifi or 3G data), but GSM/GAN is equally valid, and does have the benefit of working on a 2G connection as well.