Notices

Posts: 299 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Singapore
I have more hope on the SoccerDB track. I followed some games yesterday on that site, and the results were updated quite quickly. Anyway, getting the data into the app is but one (the most important!) feature. I might structure the program such that the user can chose data provider. Well, all that's theoretical at the moment as I don't even have one

One feature that I'm planning to add to it is to allow entering your own predictions before the games. Ideally, it should be possible to share predictions with your friends (or the Maemo community), but that would be for version x+n... Let's get the data first.

I've also realized that a license (!) might be required to show the fixture for some (most?) leagues in an app like this. Anyone knows more about that?
MobiTifo (which was formerly known as QSportsEvent) - Sports leagues tracking (mainly football).

Posts: 287 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by Reflektorfalke View Post
Robbie, thankx for offering yur support here!
But from my point of view, an app created based on manually gathered data is no good base for a full blown app with online upadte capabilities...However I am no developer...
I'm saying that i would put the data in a central database so that everybody can use it. If you have a couple of people doing this (say one per country thats in the tournament), you have all the data that you need. The community is big enough for that.

I can help creating a webfrontend so that people can enter the data.

@robbie

That's what SoccerDB is doing (www.aragon.ws/soccerdb), so I'd rather leverage on that, if possible. Let's see what they respond...
MobiTifo (which was formerly known as QSportsEvent) - Sports leagues tracking (mainly football).

there is a live scores app within snaptu. something similar would be good. see www.snaptu.com

i think its a good idea to let the community give the scores through the app to a central db.
i think this will give pretty soon quite good results, if we could join an existing community then that would be even more perfect.

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Italy
Looking at SoccerDB, I found this page about using their data. It contains both instructions and license information: basically everyone can use the data, the site owner just asks for donations. Putting a 'donate' banner into the app it would be enough, I suppose.

Their data is available for embedding in any HTML page. You must insert their Javascript scripts in your page and they create tables and match result reports. Full details are available here and here. So, the simplest (laziest ) solution would be to use just a QWebView to display a local HTML+CSS page referring the remote script. However, for offline usage and more advanced features (other visualizations, manual score editing) access to raw data is needed with local caching. In that case, an arrangement is required with the site owner in order to be able to access raw data.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fgs For This Useful Post:
Yeah... The whole purpose is to do some 'fancy stuff' on top of the data in the 'offline app', so, yes, I'd need the raw data.

He's also keeping a lot of 'historical' league data on his site, see http://www.aragon.ws/teamstats/leagues.php. I've asked him about getting access to those files too as the format is almost identical to what I'm using in my app and we'd have something to play with while waiting for the World Cup

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
Guys,

Are we not better of hunting for the best RSS streams?

I'd say the BBC ones were quite good.

Then we can just either view these, or if someones keen they can make an app to parse them?
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Sure, that's an option too. Is this the one you are thinking of?
http://newsrss.bbc.co.uk/rss/sporton...otball/rss.xml

Until proven otherwise, I'll still prefere the SoccerDB option though as it has loads of leagues, probably more than the BBC cares to bother about.

All I can offer to this is my vote for having an app like this - not sure how much help I'd be but happy to help where I can...

I also vote soccerdb - just had a look at it and it even goes right down to my local part-timers football club (Bromley FC) which is about 7 leagues below the top flight...!