Active Topics

Posts: 288 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by berty View Post
Sounds like most agree with my comments apart from the one liner "Jack ***" comments. I'd like to stick with this device, but don't think it will go much further unless the QT thing brings us a load of apps which I can't see happening anytime soon.

In future I'll be buying devices that have been out for a year or so and been proven to be worthwhile and supported. I'm happy to pay for my apps 59p here, £1.59 there won't break the bank, I don't think it's down to the end user to make their own. Yes I can use ebay on the main browser but it's very fiddly messing about with the stylus jabbing as carefully as possible to get the right link you need etc. The iphone ebay app is perfect for my needs with no fuss.

I think the thing that may have put me off the most is the absolute silence from Nokia on all people's issues. This is from the N97 to the N900, I foolishly spent £1,000 on toys that are not up to the task they were intended for.

Again I'm not slating the device, would be nice if there was a try before you buy program available where you could have the phone for a week or two before commiting to £500. Some people say don't buy it if you don't like it, but you have to buy it to find out if you like it. There's only so much info you get get from reading reviews.
All the best to you. The N900 may not be butter smooth but it lets me do a lot of what an iPhone user will never do. Each to its own. I will NEVER use the iPhone even if it was the last phone on earth. Apple's policies are such an abomination (they now insist that apps must be coded in language they approve of - whatever next). Its a SHAME that a lot of technical astute people will go for iPhone despite these restrictions - which bode badly for the future of computing. Its tech LUST - iPhone user experience etc is in the words of Shakespeare, a Heaven that will surely lead to HELL. As for me, I have nailed my colours to the opensource mast, no turning back.

Last edited by Enyibinakata; 2010-04-12 at 11:07. Reason: typo

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enyibinakata For This Useful Post:
I don't get it.

What do you people do for a living? Do you really have that much time to spend on _games_? On a micro-display the size of my right toe? Wtf... we all got "real" computers for theses kind of time-wasting... why and when can anybody play games on a mobile device except schoolkids and bored-to-death-adults?

Sorry guys. It's plain stupid to choose a mobile device on things like games or social-community-dingdongs-widgets.

If someones says "I'm going away from nokia because they are too stupid to fix their todo-sync (categories???)" - I would be the last to not understand. But "*whine* I not have apps/games enough"... grow up!

Besides. Have fun with the iPhone, it's a pretty good device.

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cyprus
good luck with that incredible camera of the iphone
and good luck with your flash support
and good luck with the million non-usable apps that iphone has
...and meet me in apples care center in 2 years when you want to replace your old battery....ill give some more advice then.....ehehe

oh....i forgot something....good luck surfing the web with that incredible resolution

Last edited by sophocha; 2010-04-12 at 11:30.

The Following User Says Thank You to sophocha For This Useful Post:
I'm a barrister. I work stupid hours every week and, because I work in criminal law, the earnings are not the sort that most think of when they think of lawyers.

When do I find the time? Well, when I am sitting on a train, when I have twenty minutes in a lunch break when I would rather not think about serious stuff, when I have a bit of down time but not enough to do anything too involved.

That's when.

How is it "plain stupid" to choose a mobile device based upon its gaming and social networking functions? The great majority appear to choose one based upon just that. Facebook and Twitter and heavily posted from mobile devices. It is handy. It's a laugh. It's what peope do.

For games, I doubt they are a major factor but it's nice to have the option. Computers (and a MID that purports to be a computer in your pocket) have been used for games since the 80s. People expect it. That's fair. Of course it is.

Telling people to grow up just because you don't get it is childish. And you don't see the irony.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bjknight For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bjknight View Post
How is it "plain stupid" to choose a mobile device based upon its gaming and social networking functions? The great majority appear to choose one based upon just that. Facebook and Twitter and heavily posted from mobile devices. It is handy. It's a laugh. It's what peope do.
The majority has always been stupid. Take a look at history.
Telling people to grow up just because you don't get it is childish. And you don't see the irony.
A mobile device unable to accomplish same simple tasks (e.g. sync the category...) is the result of people favoring games and chit-chat-s**t over functionality. But that is something you don't get, right?

Irony? No way.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Not gonna critize you. iPhone is one the phones on the market and propably better suited to you than N900. Still, in your position I would wait couple of months and buy next the iPhone model. No point buying 3GS this late.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by miwalter View Post
The majority has always been stupid. Take a look at history.
And that my friend is where to money lies. So..

My friend maybe you don't just get how to do business, money, please share holders, capitalism..you know? It has nothing to do with what is best way of doing something or doing anything in your point of view.

The majority has often been stupid but the majority are really quite important to the survival of a company, don't you think?

Do you believe that those working on games for the N900 (not many, it seems!) are sitting there cursing the "stupid" majority for wanting Angry Birds level packs on a paid app-supporting OVI Store because it is taking up time they would otherwise be using fixing syncing problems? Totally different people doing totally different jobs. If Nokia's OVI Store team are the same people developing the firmware, it's no surprise things are taking so long. Of course the two are unrelated.

Posts: 601 | Thanked: 549 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Redditch, UK
Originally Posted by miwalter View Post
Irony? No way.
"Don't press the insinuation button, whatever you do!"

"Why, what does it do?"

"I think you know."

The Following User Says Thank You to Switch_ For This Useful Post:
Oh, I'll be getting the next model iphone when it comes out, and won't be waiting 2 years to replace the 3GS battery, only ever ever had a device for more than a year and that was my trusty E71.

I got £350 for the N900 and paid £390 for the iphone so only costing me forty quid for a new device I can play with.

The Following User Says Thank You to berty For This Useful Post:

Tags
goodbye dookie, goodbye sam, guber99 lives!, hello samantha, i say hello