Active Topics

Poll: Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!
Poll Options
Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by baron von bubba View Post
its not too hard finding lethos kernals. they are in the link under his name in every forum post of his.
http://www.saunalahti.fi/crailt/

infos to download titans kernals can be found in the wiki here.
http://wiki.maemo.org/Overclocking
i agree, started looking for lehto's coz of the 125mhz low voltage, and the only downside are stuttering (while playing music maybe) and that is presnt at my device with my factory kernel, but a deep search gave me a good answer.

Hi i used Jakiman's steps in this post http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=774

but now my n900 doesnt turn on, it just goes to the white nokia screen and then goes blank.

shall i just flash my n900 the normal way? using the lastest fw or do i need to do anything more to restore the original kernel?

please can someone help me?

Just flash a normal one in to it!

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by salawat View Post
please can someone help me?
You can just reflash with the stock kernel - it was posted on Lehto's download page.

Originally Posted by gabby131 View Post
i agree, started looking for lehto's coz of the 125mhz low voltage, and the only downside are stuttering (while playing music maybe) and that is presnt at my device with my factory kernel, but a deep search gave me a good answer.
i too had stuttering of music and desktop transitions with the 125 low setting.

titans latest "xlv ideal" kernal is my personal preference at the mo.

The Following User Says Thank You to baron von bubba For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by todor_tsankov View Post
Can someone elaborate on these results - does this mean that for frequencies over 810 (compatered to stock kernel):
  • the CPU life gets shorter - Yes, potentially but would you keep your phone for 5 years? Do you care?
  • the CPU gets warmer - Yes, it would. The higher the frequency and voltage, more is the heat produced. Given that we can't do anything to improve thermal characteristics of the phone, this is the biggest risk
  • the battery get warmer - Might do as the current draw is higher. Unlikely to damage the battery though
  • the battery drains faster - This is a grey area. For super overclocked kernels (>900MHz), given that the operating voltage is higher, you are probably right. For kernels with clocks <850MHz, the picture is less clear. It may be marginally better than stock or there abouts. It is definitely not significantly worse.

Last edited by arbitrabbit; 2010-04-12 at 13:35.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arbitrabbit For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada

yeah, but still im experimenting lehko's.

the stuttering is the only problem so far, and i also have same stuttering problems at the default/stock kernel. so everything is looking normal to me.

i tried lehko's first coz thet's the first one i saw, did not get the "see and go" kernel of titan.

and one of titan's kernels are at testing right? cant seem to find it

I have optimized the transitions.ini from another thread (this was most effective), activated Smartreflex (better battery life) and was very happy with titans lv kernel at 810 MHz.
Then i tried titans ulv kernel with the same config and had stuttering in desktop transitions with titans ulv too.
Since last night i'm running the "xlv/ideal" kernel. Speed and stability (~ 15h) is til now really the same as with titans lv kernel, although i'm on 850MHz.
Battery seems better, but i have to observe this over a longer period.

Before i forget: Great job Titan!!!

Regards, davall

Originally Posted by titan View Post
The mysterious shutdown is the only reason why I now try the more conservative XLV.
I hope the shutdown was not due to the kernel but some other software.
We'll see how the XLV performs and whether someone else experiences a mysterious shutdown. The state according to the logs was: DSME: BOOTSTATE: 'USER'
I too experienced one reboot and one partial lock-up using the ideal kernel, I'll be reverting to the more conservative XLV... Will post my findings...

Tags
cooking on gas, cortex-a8, faster, first to fry it wins!, hardware, its smoking, n900, need for speed, need for weed, nos, omap, omap3, omap3430, overclock, overclocking, soc, system-on-a-chip, the dogs, this thread got good!, vtec just kicked in y0!, warranty will be void, whooplah, zoom zoom