Active Topics

Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
a (serious) moderator is needed on this site, theres a guy over on ipmart who immediately locks these types of threads and redirects comments to a similar thread, i dont personally like him!or even use that site anymore but hes damn hot at keeping the place clean!
cos at the moment on here were all just talking bout the same shite over and over again?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leetut For This Useful Post:
Posts: 67 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Danmark
I don't want to upset anyone, but I have my phone in testing. Probable, I'll end up paying the subscription consumption that I'll do. But that's like ma 5% of the phone value. I'll pay in the end around 600Euros from it, it's subsidized by my carrier, so I pay upfront 400euros and then in 6 monthly subscription the rest. If you want it contract free it cost around 520-550euros, so I would say I did a pretty good deal, getting 10Gb of data, free SMS and 200minutes of talk time. I have 2 weeks to decide if I'll keep it since last Saturday.
I'm impressed and disappointed in the same manner, I like the device, it has great potential, it's an awesome device, but I'm feed up with nokias policy of Won't fix in in this version.
For me the biggest deal breaker is the portrait mode. I need it, I can't use the device with one hand. I'm a smoker so I have to go all the way outside to smoke, while I'm staying there I want to use my phone, but I can't because nokia doesn't want to implement portrait mode in this version. I can't sms, surf the web or IM because I need 2 hands. and I don't want to try to use it with only one since I've just got the phone and I don't want to break it.
I have no problem waiting for PR 1.2 or MeeGo, but at this point I have nothing to assure me that I'll ever have portrait mode and at this point the device doesn't offer me everything I need. I would happily pay for applications, but with portrait mode for the phone.
It still needs to amaze me a lot to keep it, because at this moment I'm looking into getting something else. Not an Iphone since I can't stand apple and Jobs policy of wallet garden (this is something new I've learned), but maybe and android, the desire. I like the Hd2 but it's quite old.

I honestly see no point in flaming those who decide to leave, it's their money and their decision. You have to realize that they can choose to stay here in the freedom, but with no clear plans for the future (there's no prof that Maemo won't be dropped by nokia tomorrow which will be hard for the community to support if we consider the proprietary drivers), or go into a very closed platform where they have stability.
can any of you remember how much it took nokia to acknowledge the usb problem? and actually that was done silently, with no proper press release, which made it very hard for the end user.

The Following User Says Thank You to emeni For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by emeni View Post
I honestly see no point in flaming those who decide to leave, it's their money and their decision. You have to realize that they can choose to stay here in the freedom, but with no clear plans for the future (there's no prof that Maemo won't be dropped by nokia tomorrow which will be hard for the community to support if we consider the proprietary drivers), or go into a very closed platform where they have stability.
can any of you remember how much it took nokia to acknowledge the usb problem? and actually that was done silently, with no proper press release, which made it very hard for the end user.
that's fine, but they dont have to start a thread dedicated to how and why they are leaving because we've all heard this song before.

There are many people here quick to defend the n900, so why start a post sayin'
"goodbye n900! quite frankly I don't like it!!"
if you're just gonna get replys saying
"goodbye berty! quite frandly I dont like you!!"

my personal opinion for you berty is this: sorry it didn't work out. I apologize for your poor experiences with Nokia's phones. Perhaps sometime in the future we will meet again on other phone forums. Good luck to you. I do not question (nor really care for that matter) why you are disliking your N900. When you leave your iphone I recommend you don't post on the iphone forums that you are leaving.

Last edited by roger_27; 2010-04-12 at 14:46.

The Following User Says Thank You to roger_27 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 308 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ UK Swindon
dont read it then and dont respond! Simples.

These type of threads are useful for those who are new/thinking of buying as it should force/encourage them to look into whether the N900 is really right for them.

yes it probably could be moderated a little better.

Flaming and fanboys are worse imho. You can't seem to say anything in this place unless you big up the n900!

As for 2 handed use, good job the disability alliance hasn't caught up with the n900 yet lol!!! ;-)

Last edited by bonerp; 2010-04-12 at 14:49.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bonerp For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by berty View Post
Well I finally decided that I can no longer be a loyal customer to Nokia. After the N97 debacle, and then moving onto the N900 I thought best to call it quits.

I do like the N900, great display, much better than my wife's iphone, keyboard is great for typing, apart from no long press for the blue symbols (yet). Browser is excellent, but a bit fiddly sometimes trying to navigate certain websites.

Camera is ok when it works, 50% of the time I take a photo and the shutter sounds stalls for a while and then usually the processing screen stays on for a while so you don't know if the photo has been taken properly, usually not.

My main issue is just the lack of apps, I love apps, downloaded loads on my N97, when it wasn't freezing on me! I miss Google maps, Nimbuzz, Fishtext, Ebay app to name a few that are all on the iphone. Also I miss portrait mode. I need to use my gadget one handed when needed and the N900 is just not up to that task and never will be based on what I've read, down to personal choice I guess.

Yes I know no multi-tasking (yet) and the N900 excells in that department, but I'll either jailbreak my new iphone or wait for the OS4 update (Nokia has taught us all patience is a virtue!)

Waiting for new firmwares from Nokia has tested me too much, lack of apps, and I feel this Maemo thing is a failed experiment and Nokia have taken a lot of people for mugs getting them to shell over £500 or so buying experimental handsets.

Nokia won't reply to peoples issues since buying my N97 last year they've hardly commented on anything, same with the N900, we just have to wait and see what happens, buyers should have more say I think is fair.

Apple support is pretty good from what I've seen.

At the end of the day it comes down to apps for me and no one can compete with Apple unfortunately.

Anyway got a mint N900 for sale which will probably go on Ebay unless anyone wants to offer me £350 for it and I'll throw in a free 8GB SD card too. Paid £390 for a new iphone on ebay (16GB model) but I never watch the movies etc I store on my N900 so 16GB will be fine. Just want my money back out of it.

I'll keep tabs on Maemo, Meego etc, but doubt it'll go very far.

Just my 2 pence worth anyway fellas.
Hello m8,
Too bad you didn't like the N900 as much as some people here can like it. Giving a feedback about it is pretty nice though and people must understand that we don't all seek the same characteristics on a mobile phone or mobile computer. Changing for iPhone 3GS is absolutely your choice and you're welcome back here anytime!

The Following User Says Thank You to gtessier00 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
njoy your iphone.

Posts: 601 | Thanked: 549 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Redditch, UK
Originally Posted by bonerp View Post
As for 2 handed use, good job the disability alliance hasn't caught up with the n900 yet lol!!! ;-)
I personally am finding it increasingly difficult to lick the windows on the bus whilst holding onto the upright with one hand and browsing with the other. Nokia. What were they thinking?

I like licking windows.

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Goodbye, N900. Hello, iPhone 3GS
Seriously, who cares?
There are 1000000 other threads where you can discucc this already.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 601 | Thanked: 549 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Redditch, UK
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
Seriously, who cares?
There are 1000000 other threads where you can discucc this already.
Seriously, you didn't read the thread? Suggest you skip back some pages and read some of the responses. And learn some manners whilst you're at it. They cost nothing but can buy you the world.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Switch_ For This Useful Post:
There is one thing I can't understand. Why doesn't someone SEARCH before bying a product?

Before I bought my N900 I had to choose between 3 phones. N900, an Android I can't even remember and the iPhone 3GS. I don't care about the apps and I never play games. I just want to mess with the device (I'm a CS student @ UH). So, I chose the N900.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to giannoug For This Useful Post:

Tags
goodbye dookie, goodbye sam, guber99 lives!, hello samantha, i say hello