Closed Thread
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
Yes it does. It covers MeeGo on the N900 (and why there isn't an answer yet *edit* worth noting that since it's a reference developer platform, there's no technical reason it won't run. So even if Nokia don't officially endorse it, it'll work out just fine*endedit*). It covers Maemo5's future (in that it has one at this point). It covers a lot of the stuff you mentioned, and that flippant answer makes me think you didn't even bother to read the table of contents.
w00t with all the respect mate (seriously), a wiki page is not what I am talking about here. I am talking about official response from Nokia.

Even if this wiki page is good for you or me it still doesn't cover the most basic. Release Date. Not even a time frame.

We do not need to turn this into a VS thread.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
There's no evidence of video calls in PR 1.2 - only VoIP services get better video support.
If you think about telephony video-call - I mean not VoIP/Skype - then forget it anymore. There is no infrastructure in providers for that.

Then I say "video call", that means any kind of video-over-IP, including SIP, Skype etc. Any call via WiFi or 3G. Or may by 2G IP if we totally forget about quality.

Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by nMIK-3 View Post
w00t with all the respect mate (seriously), a wiki page is not what I am talking about here. I am talking about official response from Nokia.

Even if this wiki page is good for you or me it still doesn't cover the most basic. Release Date. Not even a time frame.

We do not need to turn this into a VS thread.
That wiki page is full of quotes written by people employed by Nokia.

Again, did you bother to *look* at it?

If you want to know why they didn't announce a date, here's why: they can't give one. Things happen (lots of variables, possibly outside their control like certification) that can make it longer, or shorter amounts of time.

Now, they could do an Apple, sure, and play it safe, and say that 1.2 is coming 'by 2012', but I guarantee you that you wouldn't be happy with that answer. I'm actually even more surprised that you're holding up an example of "sometime in four months" as an example of good customer interaction. I'd personally rather they not release a timeframe and get it right, and I'm happy knowing that an update exists at all.

What you also need to realise when making these comparisons is that they are public *in the first place*. When OS4 was announced, it was *done*. It was ready to demonstrate. PR1.2 was public a long time before it existed right back to the sense of "this won't be in PR1.1, but it's fixed".

The same again applies to MeeGo - we don't know how it looks yet because nobody knows how it looks. The people at Maemo Devices (most of them at least) found out at the same time the public did. Again: was the Apple OS update announced back when it was first conceived? I really don't think so. It was a finished product before the hype machine sprung into action.

If you can't realise the differences in operation of the two here, then may I be so bold as to suggest that this - an open source device developed in a (relatively) open manner (compared to the rest of the market, that is, not compared to most open source projects.. yet) - might not be the one for you?

Posts: 296 | Thanked: 126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ New York City
"Summer" is hardly a specific release date...

Originally Posted by sadfist View Post
"Summer" is hardly a specific release date...
Yeah. I did kind of boggle about that in my post above yours. I am tempted to start a petition to Ari that he issue a statement that it'll be out before 2012 now though.

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
So, Nokia is giving ALL kind of sort of answers (in the link that w00t gave) and you guys are complaining that Nokia sucks just because they don't give you a date of release of PR1.2 when they SIMPLY don't know either???

Are you guys serious ?
I mean w00t is really giving it to you with the spoon (as we say it in Italy) to say it's giving you all the food you need to eat as being given to a baby.

I found this interesting (from w00t's link):

Is there a roadmap for Maemo 5

Somewhat related update on the roadmap, I still haven't received green light from marketing to publish it.

Source : Urho Konttori (Nokia)
Sounds like marketing have the developers gagged. PR 1.2 could even be ready, but is being held back for business/marketing reasons??

Originally Posted by nermaljcat View Post
I found this interesting (from w00t's link):

Sounds like marketing have the developers gagged. PR 1.2 could even be ready, but is being held back for business/marketing reasons??
A roadmap about future development (possibly including, but not limited to 1.2) isn't 1.2. Also, this is going to be fairly common-place - developers making any sort of a public statement about a product's future will need to be vetted to make sure it sends the *right* message.

Originally Posted by w00t View Post
A roadmap about future development (possibly including, but not limited to 1.2) isn't 1.2.
Right

It's safe to assume that any PR 1.2 news/updates (in or out of a roadmap) would also be restricted. We shouldn't expect any updates from Nokia developers...

Are there any upcoming conferences, press releases etc? Maybe they have a killer app (3G video skype perhaps?) that they want to make a big splash.

-- this is all just speculation (I have no clue)

Well like I said, I'm 90% sure release is to be next week base on some educated guess

Closed Thread

Tags
avoid thread, fictional update, firmware, fremantle, future, goodwin's law, it will be on 12.21.2012, maemo, maemo 5, may be it's a myth?, may be next week, maybe april fools, maybe not, patience is a virtue, patience wastes your life, post generator, pr 1.2, pr1.2, product release, repost, rerun, rick roll'd, speculation, update, worst thread ever