Active Topics

Closed Thread
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
That wiki page is full of quotes written by people employed by Nokia.

Again, did you bother to *look* at it?

If you want to know why they didn't announce a date, here's why: they can't give one. Things happen (lots of variables, possibly outside their control like certification) that can make it longer, or shorter amounts of time.

Now, they could do an Apple, sure, and play it safe, and say that 1.2 is coming 'by 2012', but I guarantee you that you wouldn't be happy with that answer. I'm actually even more surprised that you're holding up an example of "sometime in four months" as an example of good customer interaction. I'd personally rather they not release a timeframe and get it right, and I'm happy knowing that an update exists at all.

What you also need to realise when making these comparisons is that they are public *in the first place*. When OS4 was announced, it was *done*. It was ready to demonstrate. PR1.2 was public a long time before it existed right back to the sense of "this won't be in PR1.1, but it's fixed".

The same again applies to MeeGo - we don't know how it looks yet because nobody knows how it looks. The people at Maemo Devices (most of them at least) found out at the same time the public did. Again: was the Apple OS update announced back when it was first conceived? I really don't think so. It was a finished product before the hype machine sprung into action.

If you can't realise the differences in operation of the two here, then may I be so bold as to suggest that this - an open source device developed in a (relatively) open manner (compared to the rest of the market, that is, not compared to most open source projects.. yet) - might not be the one for you?
well hello there Mr. Obvious.
What you are saying above is correct I I agree with you. But my point is by far more generalize from just PR 1.2 speaking. It just include the PR 1.2 waiting problem. And again this is not VS threat. So this is my last post about it.

Lets just put my point in other words.

It is better to have an official statement covering up everything, including updates than leaving people in the dark. This is extremely easy to happen for a company at the size of Nokia. Just set a time frame for your products and notify your customers. This is how the rest of the industry works.

Thanks the main point. Now specifically speaking for the PR 1.2, if Nokia issues a statement saying that is coming, lets say next week, then what is your personal problem with that? Aren't you prefer to know when its coming that just waiting for it to happen? Aren't you prefer to have an official press statement or event clarifying everything including changelogs, roadmaps and release dates? Simple stuff

Nokia has been open about their position on this issue in the past. The next update will be released as soon as it's ready; that is, as soon as they are confident about the quality and testing issues have been resolved. They won't give a solid date because they will hold it back if there are any issues, or release it if there aren't; they can't know when that will be very accurately ahead of time. If they did announce an estimated release date, that would certainly be misinterpreted as some sort of promise or guarantee.

Edit: I realize this is not normal policy for a commercial product, but it is much more in the style of an open-source product, which to a large extent, Maemo is.

Last edited by Zhentar; 2010-04-13 at 02:05.

Originally Posted by nMIK-3 View Post

It is better to have an official statement covering up everything, including updates than leaving people in the dark. This is extremely easy to happen for a company at the size of Nokia. Just set a time frame for your products and notify your customers. This is how the rest of the industry works.

Thanks the main point. Now specifically speaking for the PR 1.2, if Nokia issues a statement saying that is coming, lets say next week, then what is your personal problem with that? Aren't you prefer to know when its coming that just waiting for it to happen? Aren't you prefer to have an official press statement or event clarifying everything including changelogs, roadmaps and release dates? Simple stuff
I believe most companies wait until it's done then organize a press release date around it. While I think Nokia does releases it as soon as its deemed fit for public consumption. Thus in order to do what you say Nokia would work on it. Wait until it's done, then pick a date and organize a press release or an event where they announce "you can now download it". Which would take longer than their method.

Not to mention they have given a date before and then found some issue which postponed the N900's release which causes alot of backlash. Heck I did it myself when the N900 was delayed (due to a last minute identified issue with the test devices they handed out). Though I was annoyed since I had made my plans so I would switch cell phone providers and give my mom the new GSM TMobile phone I got from TMobile for her trip to Vietnam then.

Though I do think Nokia should give rough times where we can expect it (e.g. say sometime in April) with a caution that it will be pushed back if they find something drastically wrong.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
I am sorry to be rude too, if you don't know how to laugh then just cry when you read this.

This speculation is useless and prediction is not a confirmation. So whether you are upset or happy, this thread need some love!
True to that..

Dear all
any dudy can help me i updating my nokia n900 maemo 5 3.2010.02-8.003 when i cliking this file nokia n900 saying "that not enough memory in target location" i have space more than 26 gb

please give soulation in this regards

thanks

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by bahadhurs View Post
Dear all
any dudy can help me i updating my nokia n900 maemo 5 3.2010.02-8.003 when i cliking this file nokia n900 saying "that not enough memory in target location" i have space more than 26 gb

please give soulation in this regards

thanks
you don't know how to use wiki?

don't worry, I have searched something useful for you:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Cannot_install_firmware_update
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I believe most companies wait until it's done then organize a press release date around it.
At my employer, we promise release dates fairly well in advance, but we almost never promise specific features, so that when things inevitably fall behind schedule or run into trouble, we can cut anything that won't be ready in time. Past that, it's just working late nights or weekends to get things done for the bog day, or apoligizing and promising a prompt patch for anything really important problems/cuts.

root free space 38 m I have

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hungary
You need 45m if I'm correct.

Originally Posted by Z0l View Post
You need 45m if I'm correct.
Hi,
can you tell me how get free space

thanks

Closed Thread

Tags
avoid thread, fictional update, firmware, fremantle, future, goodwin's law, it will be on 12.21.2012, maemo, maemo 5, may be it's a myth?, may be next week, maybe april fools, maybe not, patience is a virtue, patience wastes your life, post generator, pr 1.2, pr1.2, product release, repost, rerun, rick roll'd, speculation, update, worst thread ever