Active Topics

Notices

Poll: What should happen to the newsfeed UI?
Poll Options
What should happen to the newsfeed UI?

Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
(If you aren't a FaceBrick user, get it from extras-devel and try it out before voting, please. If you're interested, go read the main thread for FaceBrick)

Normally, developers of applications call the shots, sometimes through listening to their users part by part - I've decided to try something different (at least this once - maybe more): decision by consensus.

With that in mind, this thread - is to focus on discussion/voting about one particular UI choice I've made through the evolution of FaceBrick: that if the orientation of newsfeed UI. I will note *very* carefully that this vote (and reasoning) does not extend to comments: *if* that issue needs raising, please raise it on the main FaceBrick thread and help keep *this* thread centered on the UI issue outlined here, and on the vote.

Originally, like Facebook, I had newest posts at the top. I changed this to newest posts being at the bottom as I felt it was more natural in a number of ways: the position in the list acted as a bookmark of sorts, so the user could then scroll further down the list in order to read newer posts.

Some people have noted that this is not a natural decision, as Facebook newsfeeds are (unlike IM) full of information that we skim, rather than read in whole chunks, and have therefore suggested this. I don't wholly disagree with this reasoning, which is why I'm opening this issue to vote.

(In the interest of full disclosure, I'll note I may choose to totally disregard the results of this poll, but I will only do so if I am convinced that doing so would be in the best interests of FaceBrick and the user community at large. If I do so, I will explain my reasoning in full. Benevolent dictator, etc.)

Thanks (and please keep all conversation on-topic and relevant)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
i like the idea of voting for features.
however in this case, this would be better as a configurable option in the program itself.
of course, your choice of intelligent default can come from this poll

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 105 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Wellington, New Zealand
The current scrolling direction did initially confuse me....but then I noticed it was the same as the Conversations app, which I think is a good idea....the same as browsing online and reading these forums...the newest at the bottom.

I now like it, please keep it.
But if it does change again, that wont be so bad either, like it either way.

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cyprus
I expected the latest updates to appear on top just like on the fb pages (facebook, facebook mobile, facebook touch, facebook lite). However I don't think it's such a big issue right now, therefore it doesn't bother me that much. I am glad to have a fb application for n900 at last, and I am rather anxious to see the new features that you will add.

Posts: 162 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ United States - Saudi Arabia
Why did you name your application FaceBrick?

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
beause *Facepalm* was taken
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

The Following User Says Thank You to noobmonkey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 162 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ United States - Saudi Arabia
FaceGo is better

To me kt makes more sense to have the update bar at the top, with the list starting at the top and letting users scroll down, with newer posts at the top. That's how the Facebook page is.

Posts: 124 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Italy
facebook is not an im service, so i think it makes more sense have update at the top!

Posts: 61 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ GERMANY
faceGo seems to be a very nice name to me.. but as long as the app works like expected I do not care about the name.. thanks for the great work!