Active Topics

Posts: 249 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ International
I received this from an affiliate...

is it of any value in this thread?

"While doing something totally random and unrelated, I
discovered this...

Apple now helps you get your media and content ranked
for you on its own PageRank 9 apple.com domain.

Better yet, YOU get to CONTROL the content and keywords
that Apple.com puts on their site for you so you can
rank better in Google for your selected keyword.

http://budurl.com/gaseffect

Imagine having your words, your content on a PageRank 9
site where YOU control the written keyword content.
This means a lot less work to get an Apple.com HTML page
ranked over one of my own (it helps to have a PR9 site).

This is truly big because all your written content can
be easily converted right into video with all the
techniques discussed on the site."

It seems that they are trying to emulate google or only filter relevant pages to apple users - or am i way off on this one

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
ysss,

you say, "We're not buying 100% physical commodity goods here, a lockdown (for whatever purpose) can be part of the deal."

So what do you think of this?

from http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2010/04/13-0

Concerns about genetically altered crops and the lack of broad testing hit a boiling point last year. In February 2009, 26 leading academic entomologists -- scientists specializing in insects -- issued a public statement to the Environmental Protection Agency complaining that they were restricted from doing independent research by technology agreements Monsanto and other companies attach to every bag of biotech seed they sell. The agreements disallow any research that is not first approved by the companies.

"No truly independent research can be legally conducted on many critical questions regarding the technology," the scientists said in their statement.

Ok, let's play a game of "Who Can Get In the Last Word!"

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
...snip...
What it comes down to is a corporate drive towards a society of "renters" where we pay full price and own nothing. Looks great on the balance sheets and they can punish their customers for their transgressions, first by killing their property then by unleashing their attack dogs (the FBI.)

The corporations clamoring to get on the iPad are hoping that it will take off wildly so they can crowd out alternative sources of information. The internet as-is doesn't allow for it, especially when I can read Wikileaks to read about their latest transgressions.

Now you can say "that's the market at work," but the companies in question -hate- the market. The market is how they got to where they are. So they seek to cut off the market.

The first means is by removing regulation that, until it was removed, prevented so few entities from controlling so much. The second is to control the channels by which the information is distributed.

Mind you, that's the long, wrong end of this path. We're already on it, however.

So yeah, a tiny bit of caution being covered in the news and a few people expressing a dislike of iron-fisted post-purchase control is neither unwarranted nor unreasonable. Please stop trying to paint it as such.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 12 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Little Rock
Internet's future is conditioned by two things: One, the dynamics of a market increasingly dependent on technology, in which freedom of choice is a brake on the growth of corporations. And two, the censorship imposed by the states to their citizens for access to sensitive information (what happens in China or Iran) in an attempt to prevent protests or social conflict .. as a reaction to the economic crisis in which we are filled ..

n this background the IPAD is the beginning of the end of freedom of choice of internet user and if successful we will end up using, viewing or playing only as Steve authorizes or will generate profits ...

Last edited by astrolito; 2010-04-13 at 20:19.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
ysss,

you say, "We're not buying 100% physical commodity goods here, a lockdown (for whatever purpose) can be part of the deal."

So what do you think of this?

from http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2010/04/13-0

Concerns about genetically altered crops and the lack of broad testing hit a boiling point last year. In February 2009, 26 leading academic entomologists -- scientists specializing in insects -- issued a public statement to the Environmental Protection Agency complaining that they were restricted from doing independent research by technology agreements Monsanto and other companies attach to every bag of biotech seed they sell. The agreements disallow any research that is not first approved by the companies.

"No truly independent research can be legally conducted on many critical questions regarding the technology," the scientists said in their statement.
Unfortunately I don't know much about them. All I know about monsanto (from a documentary I've watched) was that they were the company the produced Agent Orange during the vietnam war and they were in pesticide\herbicide business before being the genetic engineering giant that they are now.

I'm guessing they implement that restriction to protect their trade secrets and to minimize any negative findings that may be revealed by studies not conducted under their watchful eyes. I'd be interested how they manage to pass FDA (other than having a bunch of them in their pockets).

Yes, I see the parallels between these companies that manage to seduce the masses with their products but may have long term negative repercussions.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
It would only take 3 modest changes to the iPhone OS for me to be ok with the iPad (and iPhone, really) (and all of these would need to be well documented):

1) dongle wires, and OS drivers, that support generic USB devices (storage, keyboards, mice, even modems (for the iPod Touch and iPad)). Some of that is present in the iPad, but it's not clear that keyboards are there (it's not clear to me how the keyboard doc is implemented, and how hard it would be to make it work with a USB keyboard). The keyboard being the one that is actually the most important to me.

2) a Symbian and Android like ability to set "allow 3rd party app installation" (install direct from files given by the app author, bypassing the app store).

3) DVI-I/DisplayPort/HDMI dongle for the iPad, with 720p support.

From there, it would be nice if they made a 4.2" 850x480 version of the iPhone, and had Swype input. But those are "would be nice"s.

With #1, I could see someone making an add-on shell for the iPhone or iPod Touch that had a clamshell keyboard, battery boost, and microSD card. Or a slider equivalent (for those who want an N810 style slider instead of a clamshell). Same for the iPad (there's your Apple netbook). Add in #3, and that iPad "netbook" shell has full KVM switch capability.

#2 addresses my concerns about app store lock-in, and customer freedom of choice.

I might even be willing to pay a small amount extra to enable #1 and #2, as a "Pro" package. Yes, #2 ought to be free, but I can see Apple feeling that that's not a generic consumer concern, which is their main target ... not "geeks", but "the rest of us". Further, there might be more liability, and support costs, for enabling those things. And, it makes it more than a simple on-off switch that might be enabled by the clueless (and thus open those users up to problems). It creates a hurdle to weed out people who don't REALLY want/need that extra level of capability. It may also help offset any perception of lost revenue from #2.

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
I agree, withe the "iPad = the end of the Internet".

But it is true for only those who bought it.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Unfortunately I don't know much about them. All I know about monsanto (from a documentary I've watched) was that they were the company the produced Agent Orange during the vietnam war and they were in pesticide\herbicide business before being the genetic engineering giant that they are now.

I'm guessing they implement that restriction to protect their trade secrets and to minimize any negative findings that may be revealed by studies not conducted under their watchful eyes. I'd be interested how they manage to pass FDA (other than having a bunch of them in their pockets).

Yes, I see the parallels between these companies that manage to seduce the masses with their products but may have long term negative repercussions.
I find the Monsanto agreement deplorable and if I were a judge, I would rule it unenforceable as contrary to the public interest.

My point is: Not all these agreements are legitimate just because there are intellectual property rights integrated into the product being sold. Even for people who aren't opposed to patent and copyright rights as a rule, there are limits they ought to recognize.

I have not found most of Apple's actions as offensive as some of Microsoft's. (The winner for me -- I read the entire Findings of Fact from the trial court in the Netscape case -- was a deal Microsoft made with Intuit, the maker of Quicken, before it released Windows 95. Intuit actually promised Microsoft that it would make sure that its website would have significant incompatibilities with the Netscape browser!) I personally don't like Apple's closed system, but I think they have a right to do much of what they do.

Trying to make the jail-breaking of the iPhone illegal, however, or even claiming Apple could sue people for jail-breaking it, that's over the top. It's one thing to technically make it difficult to jail-break; and I can understand restrictions on selling copies of a product (like an electronic book, or software); ... but telling someone how they can use a material thing that they bought? That's just inherently too invasive and legalistic.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 194 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Manchester, UK
Hmmm, I have to actually agree with ysss about the general good functionality aspect (of all Apples devices). But as far as Ipad goes, I can't really see many sitting in Starbucks, the park or the office holding a device that size. You'd need to wear very large braces and have "1980's Yuppy" tattooed to your t-shirt. :-)

That said, I have every expectation that Apples Ipad sales will explode....but not so quickly in the UK

Posts: 194 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Manchester, UK
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
It would only take 3 modest changes to the iPhone OS for me to be ok with the iPad (and iPhone, really) (and all of these would need to be well documented):

1) dongle wires, and OS drivers, that support generic USB devices (storage, keyboards, mice, even modems (for the iPod Touch and iPad)). Some of that is present in the iPad, but it's not clear that keyboards are there (it's not clear to me how the keyboard doc is implemented, and how hard it would be to make it work with a USB keyboard). The keyboard being the one that is actually the most important to me.

2) a Symbian and Android like ability to set "allow 3rd party app installation" (install direct from files given by the app author, bypassing the app store).

3) DVI-I/DisplayPort/HDMI dongle for the iPad, with 720p support.

From there, it would be nice if they made a 4.2" 850x480 version of the iPhone, and had Swype input. But those are "would be nice"s.

With #1, I could see someone making an add-on shell for the iPhone or iPod Touch that had a clamshell keyboard, battery boost, and microSD card. Or a slider equivalent (for those who want an N810 style slider instead of a clamshell). Same for the iPad (there's your Apple netbook). Add in #3, and that iPad "netbook" shell has full KVM switch capability.

#2 addresses my concerns about app store lock-in, and customer freedom of choice.

I might even be willing to pay a small amount extra to enable #1 and #2, as a "Pro" package. Yes, #2 ought to be free, but I can see Apple feeling that that's not a generic consumer concern, which is their main target ... not "geeks", but "the rest of us". Further, there might be more liability, and support costs, for enabling those things. And, it makes it more than a simple on-off switch that might be enabled by the clueless (and thus open those users up to problems). It creates a hurdle to weed out people who don't REALLY want/need that extra level of capability. It may also help offset any perception of lost revenue from #2.
Sensible comments. Thankfully for the rest of the market, the wish list is unlikely to materialise in the near future.