Active Topics

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
I still think this is only Intel's UI of MeeGo and NOT Nokia's.... So whoever is judging the UI I say they should wait until Nokia makes an announcement for MeeGo... because so far it has only been Intel's side of news...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bandora For This Useful Post:
Posts: 127 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Nottingham
To me it all seems biased towards Intel and Moblin with the Meego tag. Perhaps it is just because Intel are more open whereas, true to form, Nokia will keep us waiting.

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ sofia, bulgaria

lmao why do we only get a lame code terminal for the n900 while the real deal is allot further then that!

Originally Posted by bandora View Post
I still think this is only Intel's UI of MeeGo and NOT Nokia's.... So whoever is judging the UI I say they should wait until Nokia makes an announcement for MeeGo... because so far it has only been Intel's side of news...
It is. I'm surprised that it doesn't get mentioned here more often. Look wise Moblin/MeeGo and Harmattan/MeeGo wont have much to do each other and there's even bigger things behind that are not the same.
I have been reading some Nokia workers blogs where they talk about to possibilty in a worst case that we might have separate branches even with MeeGo v1.1.

UI will be most probally much closer to the pics i posted to the MeeGo thread.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by hordeman View Post
It looks nice, but so far I am disappointed that maemo was dropped for this. MeeGo just seems like a media center application rather than an operating system for mobile computers. I'll keep watching in the meantime, though.
Anything you can do in Maemo you'll be able to do in Meego and then some.

To be honest, I'm not sure why anyone currently using Maemo wouldn't want Meego.

Last edited by sevla; 2010-04-15 at 14:14.

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
It is. I'm surprised that it doesn't get mentioned here more often. Look wise Moblin/MeeGo and Harmattan/MeeGo wont have much to do each other and there's even bigger things behind that are not the same.
I have been reading some Nokia workers blogs where they talk about to possibilty in a worst case that we might have separate branches even with MeeGo v1.1.

UI will be most probally much closer to the pics i posted to the MeeGo thread.
I wonder if someone didn't like Nokia's UI can they somehow obtain and run Intel's UI?? or vice-versa? or will they run into the x86 vs. ARM problem? and if they run into that problem, I am wondering if the community can somehow recompile the UI to make it run under ARM? (vice-versa also)...

Also are the big companies like EA.. etc..will develop for Intel's MeeGo or Nokia's? And will there be an x86 vs ARM apps from those companies?? jw..

Last edited by bandora; 2010-04-15 at 14:17.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
I wonder if someone didn't like Nokia's UI can they somehow obtain and run Intel's UI?? or vice-versa? or will they run into the x86 vs. ARM problem? and if they run into that problem, I am wondering if the community can somehow recompile the UI to make it run under ARM? (vice-versa also)...

Also are the big companies like EA.. etc..will develop for Intel's MeeGo or Nokia's? And will there be an x86 vs ARM apps from those companies?? jw..
I think you guys are misunderstanding what Intel showed today. While the OS is MeeGo, the UI is from Moblin. The phone UI is Moblin for Phones. It won't look like that when productized. This is what Intel has done so far with Moblin. The MeeGo Netbook UI/UX will stem from Intel's work on the Moblin UI, and will be led by Intel in its development. The MeeGo Handheld UI will stem from Nokia's work with Maemo, and will be led by Nokia. So the mobile UI will be more similar to what Nokia envisioned.

What I wonder is how much will MeeGo allow manufacturers and carriers to create custom UIs like Sense or TouchFlo? Will there be multiple netbook and mobile UIs created with the same framework, or will there just be slight customizations?

Can anyone confirm or deny my inferences?

To me, it doesn't matter who did the UI, and to me the issue is that the demo was about media playback rather than a features snapshot. For example, I want to know: CAN it run OpenOffice, Skype, VNC, SSH and Mobile Firefox? In other words, what can MeeGo do that is just as good if not better than Maemo? I don't need to be sold on being able to watch video or placeshift --- it's already been done in Maemo (and other devices).

Originally Posted by hordeman View Post
To me, it doesn't matter who did the UI, and to me the issue is that the demo was about media playback rather than a features snapshot. For example, I want to know: CAN it run OpenOffice, Skype, VNC, SSH and Mobile Firefox? In other words, what can MeeGo do that is just as good if not better than Maemo? I don't need to be sold on being able to watch video or placeshift --- it's already been done in Maemo (and other devices).
I am sure that MeeGo will run anything Maemo can run.. I am very sure of this..