Active Topics

I don't care about UI or any sync stuff. All I want to know is if I will still have root on MeeGo, and can it still do VNC, SSH, bla bla everything Maemo can do. Will it still be my little Linux computer, or will it be a phone. I hope they will still have all the fetchers as maemo. I love maemo. I have no idea why Nokia thinks they need to change it. I think they just need to promote it. IMHO Maemo should be dominating the market not Java/Android, and certainly not shinny n' gimpy apple products.

Thats what 'I' think. Take it or leave it.

Last edited by echoblack; 2010-04-16 at 05:32.

The Following User Says Thank You to echoblack For This Useful Post:
Posts: 74 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Turin, Italy
Originally Posted by echoblack View Post
Will it still be my little Linux computer, or will it be a phone.
MeeGo's project is under Linux Foundation's umbrella and technical specs released so far all indicate that it will still be our little computer.
Fennec and all other softwares u like will run on MeeGo and much more software will be ported thanks to Qt libraries.

Okay, well after reading this, it seems they are moving in the right direction. The Linux Foundation will hopefully not let them develop a artificially gimpified product. I mean really. That is what sucks about apple, they make everything gimpy. I think Linux is about power, and limitless development opportunity. So, hay if they are successful getting this in car's, tv's and stuff then it would greatly increase the development opportunity.

http://www.linux.com/news/featured-b...ux-with-meego-

Last edited by echoblack; 2010-04-16 at 05:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to echoblack For This Useful Post:
looks great ...

Originally Posted by bandora View Post
I am sure that MeeGo will run anything Maemo can run.. I am very sure of this..
But we won't know for sure until the time comes. So far, what they've shown is just about media playback.

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
I think you guys are misunderstanding what Intel showed today. While the OS is MeeGo, the UI is from Moblin. The phone UI is Moblin for Phones. It won't look like that when productized. This is what Intel has done so far with Moblin. The MeeGo Netbook UI/UX will stem from Intel's work on the Moblin UI, and will be led by Intel in its development. The MeeGo Handheld UI will stem from Nokia's work with Maemo, and will be led by Nokia. So the mobile UI will be more similar to what Nokia envisioned.
Exactly, you've got the idea.

What I wonder is how much will MeeGo allow manufacturers and carriers to create custom UIs like Sense or TouchFlo?
Should be much like what has happened with Android.

Will there be multiple netbook and mobile UIs created with the same framework, or will there just be slight customizations?
Hve to wait and see, but I expect there will be several. Again, like with Android.

Can anyone confirm or deny my inferences?
I haven't seen anything definitive officially, that just my impression from press releases and what qgil and others have said so far.
Registered Linux user #266531.

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by echoblack View Post
I love maemo. I have no idea why Nokia thinks they need to change it. I think they just need to promote it. IMHO Maemo should be dominating the market not Java/Android, and certainly not shinny n' gimpy apple products.
It's not really about needing to change Maemo. Clearly Nokia already felt it was a good product and was planning to continue developing it. No doubt about it, Nokia's been surprised and happy with the response to the N900 and Maemo. But they also realized promoting Maemo by themselves even with a massive and expensive ad campaign probably wasn't going to be enough for Maemo to get where it needed to be in terms of market share and developer interest.

For long-term survival in the smartphone/pocket computer marketplace against Apple, RIM and Android, it was becoming obvious that it would take strength in numbers - really big numbers. Maemo/MeeGo would have a much better chance of survival - even eventual dominance - if not one company (even one as huge as Nokia) but many companies used, supported and promoted Maemo/MeeGo. So they smartly teamed up with another absolute monster in Intel to add clout, resources and respectibility. And open-sourced MeeGo to add further incentive for other companies to get on board. And it's working, if news of support for MeeGo from a long list of companies like EA games is to be believed.

The support of an OS by many companies against one is how Microsoft overtook Apple's early lead in PCs and how Android will likely soon overtake the iPhone's early lead. Like Apple with PCs, Sony tried to rule VCRs with the BetaMax system allowed on only their hardware. but were overtaken by the VHS system supported by many manufacturers. Nokia and Intel aren't ignorant of that kind of history. They can see that history proves that eventually open (or even semi-open) systems will break the stranglehold of totally closed ones. Monopolies never last forever.

IMHO MeeGo has a solid plan that if properly executed could make MeeGo huge in 2-3 years.
Registered Linux user #266531.

The Following User Says Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by hordeman View Post
But we won't know for sure until the time comes. So far, what they've shown is just about media playback.
In terms of "running things" http://meego.com/developers/meego-architecture should be enough to see that Maemo and MeeGo are basically identical at that level. Or what is your fear?

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 91 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ UAE/Dubai/Burj Khalifa
dammit, I was assured that it will not be released for N900, it will only be available in an unofficial firmware images...thats the answer i got from some people in nokia

((

Its time to stop posting!!!!!
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/1646/stopposting.jpg

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
In terms of "running things" http://meego.com/developers/meego-architecture should be enough to see that Maemo and MeeGo are basically identical at that level. Or what is your fear?
Thanks for referring me to that page. I never saw the Maemo version of the content, but looking at the page, there is still not enough to show capabilities. It's a very broad page with broad descriptions of the base, middle and UX layer.

Taking it a step further, the UX layer description of "built on a handheld optimized UI framework" leads me to believe that the interface will be very restrictive. (The videos lead me to believe the same.) To me, this means that unless a UI was built for Meego's UI framework, it won't work. I could be wrong, but I would believe that porting over apps like OO, desktop Firefox, and others would no longer be possible (or not as easy).

I am looking to see a continuation of Maemo's evolution of being a handheld computer OS. What I am instead seeing on that page is path that has been set by Android and the iPhone OS; an OS that has made some sacrifices for a simplified UI. For example, I love my G1, but it is too limited; so, when I need to do some powerhouse stuff, I turn to my N810. I don't know if MeeGo will be as versatile as Maemo.