Posts: 125 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Portrait mode. With PR 1.0, only the phone application, and the photo viewer officially supported it. With PR1.1, the browser has the ability to switch to portrait mode, but seems to be a work in progress. Do you see ubiquitous portrait mode in the future of the N900 for all official applications, or is this something that will be treated on a case-by case basis? For some of us that evolved from tablets, portrait mode in all applications may feel unnatural, whereas the opposite is true for those Maemo-newcomers who have gravitated here from other phone platforms.
PS: Nokia N900 was designed with focus on use as mobile computer with the telephony as a feature. Hence, the wide support of landscape orientation. Based on consumer feedback, we are adding portrait support in the browser of the Nokia N900, but only our MeeGo 1 software (formerly known as Maemo 6) will have full support of portrait and landscape orientations of all applications.

Source: http://mobiletablets.blogspot.com/20...ith-peter.html

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Yorkshire, UK
Who cares about portrait mode now.

Looking at the pictures it looks very likely that they will sort out the inbox / sent box etc.

When is this coming out?

Will there be some kind of officially supported release to upgrade N900's to the new software? They are the questions I think we need answering.

Posts: 110 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Brighton
put on to charge and as i took lead out touched phone icon on desktop and then accidentally clicked on a contacts page. closed it and desktop was portrait! everything worked conboy browser etc but of course widgets didnt fit screen and had to scroll left and right to get to all icons.
had to reboot in the end to get back to landscape.
was really freaky. has this happened to anyone else?

i have been having this problem every day since i have purchased this, please if some one has a fix for this or can inform nokia for the bug, i would realli appriciate it !

it's a bug. i think adjusting the transition framerate fixes it

Posts: 110 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Brighton
oh the transition framerate, of course! Errrm what is that?

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ London, innit?
Switch the screen off using the switch on the bottom. Switch it back on using the power button on the side. Slide to unlock, should come back in landscape. It's an annoying bug, but easily dealt with.

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Germany
LOL

If you read over numerous threads (especially those "firmware update" and "meego for n900" kind) there's a mass of people desperately longing for this "portrait mode" feature. Maybe, if you find a way to reproduce this "bug" you could package it and put it into extras-devel ;°)

Finally all of them were happy and Nokia could spare the time for fixing it.

The Following User Says Thank You to CowboyFromHell For This Useful Post:
It's not a bug it's a feature!

The Following User Says Thank You to kwurk For This Useful Post: