Poll: Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!
Poll Options
Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!

Posts: 373 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Norwich
well without reading 306 pages of posts! (who can honestly blame me!) I'd say yeah it must be possible, however, probably a rather bad idea for two main reasons, 1. severly reduced battery life and 2. over heating. I'm sure many of you are aware of the BGA problems nvidia chips have had in laptops in recent years. I cant be 100% sure on this but i'd be surprised if i was wrong but I would assume the cpu in the n900 is connected using a BGA, these tend to fail with excessive heat because the solder fatigues and cracks. So given that i think overclocking would ultimately result it hardware failure. Just my two cents worth.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by NotTheMessiah View Post
well without reading 306 pages of posts! (who can honestly blame me!) I'd say yeah it must be possible, however, probably a rather bad idea for two main reasons, 1. severly reduced battery life and 2. over heating. I'm sure many of you are aware of the BGA problems nvidia chips have had in laptops in recent years. I cant be 100% sure on this but i'd be surprised if i was wrong but I would assume the cpu in the n900 is connected using a BGA, these tend to fail with excessive heat because the solder fatigues and cracks. So given that i think overclocking would ultimately result it hardware failure. Just my two cents worth.

The value of your post is cut by half (to one cent) because you didn't grasp that lots of people started happily overclocking as a result of this thread. It's absolutely correct that overclocking will ultimately result in hardware failure. That was discussed a lot. The question is, when is ultimately? How long do people plan to keep using their phones, anyway?

Many people reached the conclusion that they were going to use their phones for maybe a few years and that better, faster operation was easily worth risking hardware failure if the hardware was likely to last a few years. We concluded that it was and decided to go on.

Posts: 373 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Norwich
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
The value of your post is cut by half (to one cent) because you didn't grasp that lots of people started happily overclocking as a result of this thread. It's absolutely correct that overclocking will ultimately result in hardware failure. That was discussed a lot. The question is, when is ultimately? How long do people plan to keep using their phones, anyway?

Many people reached the conclusion that they were going to use their phones for maybe a few years and that better, faster operation was easily worth risking hardware failure if the hardware was likely to last a few years. We concluded that it was and decided to go on.
Yes, i do quite agree with you there. Like i said i didnt read 306 pages of posts. Dont have that much of my time to spare haha. But yeah, i think it is a question of when the ultimate failure will happen. Personally, i wouldnt like to take the risk but that said i would like to see the results in terms of performance increase. Perhaps if i could afford to replace the device should it fail i would try it.

Hi, I noticed the phone app sets the min to 250 only temporarily???
because after a reboot, my phone is at 500 again.. just confirming!!

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by nokian-series View Post
Normaly, you dont need to sudo gainroot !
Before Re-flash, i save lot of scripts i have, and i only have, for example:

sudo echo 500000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq

And now, it just gives me permission dennied :S

I dont know much of linux commands but..nothing related do chmod ?! :S

Helppp, i just reflash my phone and now it's 'closed' to my commands :S
have you installes kernel-flasher-maemo?

Ola

TITAN definitely fried my N900.

I followed his advice, and waited for the battery Cool, even more so he does not care Reloads.

also can not plug it in Flash Mode.

Tomorrow I'll open it to see if it caused any physical damage, and post some photos.

I was playing it, and my watch was at least 850MHz, 1GHz maximum.

Poor Mu N900, I'm very sad

Originally Posted by maykon-de-angra View Post
Ola

I followed his advice, and waited for the battery Cool, even more so he does not care Reloads.
did he tell you to put your n900 on 850mhz minimum???

Last edited by UNderworld; 2010-04-19 at 03:18.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to UNderworld For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Ola

Tomorrow I'll open it to see if it caused any physical damage, and post some photos.

hmmm....i believe you know that overclocking your device is at your own risk.

so far you're the first (or second) to report a fried device.

give your n900 a chance, might be okay tomorrow.

if not, i'll be watching your updates when you dismantle your device, pls upload photos.......XD

didnt seem like a good idea to use a clock speed higher than the maximum stock clock for a minimum anyways...

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Australia
Ola

I wonder how many more of these sort of posts we'll start seeing in the coming months.

Tags
cooking on gas, cortex-a8, faster, first to fry it wins!, hardware, its smoking, n900, need for speed, need for weed, nos, omap, omap3, omap3430, overclock, overclocking, soc, system-on-a-chip, the dogs, this thread got good!, vtec just kicked in y0!, warranty will be void, whooplah, zoom zoom