Originally Posted by rustler View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "full Bluetooth keyboard support" but my iGo stowaway keyboard has always worked. It works with my N800, N810 and N900 great.
Take care.
Oops, I understand now. I didn't realize how much I use the control and tab keys in the terminal. The ALT and green function keys do NOT work.
Take care.

Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
Daperl, when you look at the differences between the iPhone system and the N900 are you using your developer sence more than the general user sense ?
Yes, because the limits of the development path mean everything for someone like me.

My main question being how does a common general user (think of a non-geek, person hardly familiar with open source or walled garden paradigm's let alone the terminology) look at the 2 devices in terms of what it brings to the user ?
I'm guessing mostly by how well if fulfills their needs at time of purchase. But if you spend enough time in a tech community like this one, which you have, it's hard not to be continuously impressed by the many different uses and usage patterns that general computing devices like the n900 encourage. Just look at a thread like "What is your age and what do ues the N900 for?" That goes for iPhone OS products as well; just because I consider the platform less expressive, doesn't take away the plenty it has to offer.

When you mention yourself as a seasoned individual - are you talking about seasoned in the development aspect or seasoned in understanding what is good for the general users ?
In the context, it was seasoned as in "tech consumer."

I simp;y ask as I really want to understand the market factors which drive the adoption from the perspective of a user - not so much as a developer. The power user / developer angle is a no-brainer as far as I am concerned - its the N900 hands down as a winner - but what interests me is what drives a common user - cause he is obviously the one who drives the market.

Any perspective ?
For me, it's as simple as: Know your audience. Research them before, listen to them afterwards. If you target and satisfy someone who is both computer illiterate and is also tech averse, you'll be the winner. And I'm being conservative when I say satisfy, my opinion is that Apple wants to more than just satisfy you, they want to addict you. It's a great strategy, but it has to be well thought out, because even though you want to roll out with a bang, you have to change course slowly.

But again, since most manufacturers (Sony not included) realize that they can't do everything themselves, properly courting developers is just as important, and kind of needs the same strategy.

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 352 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Vancouver
the iPhone 4G is better than my n900 in everything except:
1) no SSH client and server in the app. store
2) no removable micro SD card
3) camera may not have auto focus (defiantly also has a S#!t flash).

Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
*Can you feeeeel.. the loooooove... toniiiiiight....*

[img]http://www.9to5mac.com/files/u312/iphone_hd_leak_3.jpg

Reportedly it has 960x480 screen, noise cancellation system (dual mic), slightly larger battery (only about 17% more)... the other 'upgrades' are nothing new: front side camera, main camera with higher resolution and flash.. Apple branded Cortex A8 cpu.
i do have to admit i like the design already. as far as one can tell by the picture, that is.

i'm not a fan of the 3g-design which is unnecessarily rounded and stuff.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@timwatt:
#1. There won't be Apple-approved SSH server, but there are quite a few ssh (and various terminal clients) apps available in the AppStore.

#3. But the 3GS' camera already has autofocus? The new OS enables continuous autofocus in video recording in 3GS... I'm pretty sure they're putting decent upgrade in photo/video taking ability on this new model and won't lose the autofocus ability.

what about no (hardware) keyboard? I think we'll be seeing some snap-on portable keyboard starting with iPhone 4G... now that it's finally enabled the bluetooth keyboard profile in its software stack. And the flat back also accomodates add on accessories better.

@msa: i didn't mind 3G's design (feels' good in the hands) but the new one looks quite sharp. here's an interesting comparison made between Apple's upgrade from Powerbook G3 to G4 and iPhone 3G to 4G:

heh.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Last edited by ysss; 2010-04-19 at 21:32.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 36 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Australia
Hey guys,

I noticed that this has not been posted here yet... apologies if it already has! Apparently the new iPhone has been leaked (found in a bar, or stolen, or something like that). Take a look at the links below:

http://www.gsmarena.com/iphone_4g_ph...-news-1585.php

http://gizmodo.com/5520164/this-is-apples-next-iphone

It certainly doesnt look like the usual curvy iPhone, but it is pretty convincing... especially when they reveal the insides of the phone. It does look like the iPhone is getting closer and closer to the competition in terms of hardware. It'll still never replace my N900 though

EDIT: oops, looks like these links have been brought up in the N900 VS iPhone 4G thread! Admins - feel free to merge

i like it, hope to check one when its out

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
It's still Apple so no thanks. I've made that mistake before. Apple jail is no fun.

looks like a samsung or sharp or SE , so asian. FAKE.

I thought they just wanted their Patents....But Apple stole Nokia's styling too

Tags
dumb and dumber, this is so sad