Active Topics

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
I have an N810. I am going to visit Italy soon. I open maps application, see Italy in the list of available maps (as I knew it will be when I bought the device). I try to download this map, and get "Network error", instead of a map.

Nokia got my money already. Nokia does not provide the service they got the money for. I warn other people not to trust Nokia with their money. How does Nokia not deserve this bad publicity?
I got to agree once again here because Nokia did no way let anyone know about the HUGE amount of problems software wise the N900 has and all because of what ? simple... they never did there research properly to start with PRIOR to allowing the N900 to be marketed as a mobile / computer and thats before they started to actually sell it direct to end user.
The fundementals of the software at least have to be somewhat in the direction of the hardware and that is the big downfall of the N900 because no way did Nokia let anyone know of the massive amount of flaws in the software alone, look at the endless list of problematic issues on this forum regarding just about every aspect of what the hardware of the N900 should be capable of doing and isnt all because the software was massively incomplete.
I dont care what anyone says on this forum but for me the N900 is probably Nokia's worst mobile anything !
And to top that up they cannot even be bothered to issue a public statement or get there act together regarding some of the minor but hugely importand issues the n900 has with a much needed update.
IF Nokia had marketed the N900 as an incomplete sotwarewise mobile with all the problems it has , they would probably not have sold a 100 units !.
Nokia have a hell of a lot to answer for on this one for sure.
Please remember this thread states ... buyer beware- of nokia products and maemo .... those actual words mean what is obvious and that the N900 is just not capable of much at all right now for it being a mobile phone / computer.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2010-04-20 at 14:25.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by andraeseus1 View Post
what is fud
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=fud
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=fud
that was funnny. seriously. with 3 n's. i didnt know it had a actualy official term. learn something new every day

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Originally Posted by yukop4 View Post
a warning to all n900 buyers-before maemo 5 -which is the software on the n900 there was maemo 4 and the internet tablets n810 n800 and going back further the n770

one of the main selling points of the tablets was the gps function-wayfinder provided the maps but then last month wayfinder was closed down by vodafone and suddenly with no prior warning to tablet owners gps does not work-no support

their is a lesson here and it is simple one -there is no guarantee that nokia will stand by its products-

before you go and shell out hundreds of dollars for a product with maemo os -such as the n900 or the internet tablets bare in mind that the same thing can happen to you

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 78 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ England
I also have this problem with wayfinder

basically if you reflash you cant activate wayfinder and therefore use it.

the maps download has also been removed. if someone has links or torrents to them i would like them.

If you have paid for it and have a old backup of settings where wayfinder was activated you can follow my instructions here.

I called wayfinder a few weeks ago and they are just saying there are almost closed down and there is nothing they can do.

you could try and claim off your credit card company as they are no longer providing the service you paid for.

Originally Posted by johnel View Post
This is a great fanboi response to a legitimate concern.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

we could always invite everyone who is affected by wayfinders decision to start posting on this tthread-i just to make a point about shoddy business practices

Yeah because the title "buyer beware- of nokia products and maemo " is not reactionary or alarmist in the slightest.

Maybe something like "wayfinder was closed down by vodafone" would be more relevant.

Maybe try and contact Vodafone and express your concerns?

Maybe sign a petition and then send it to Vodafone perhaps Nokia too?

Maybe contact Nokia and see what they say?

Is it beyond the realms of writing alternative software to do the same thing?

With the possibility of MeeGo on the horizon maybe your device will get further support. (To be honest that is pure speculation on my part).

Personally I think Nokia have made a few mistakes and like any other company are not perfect.

But starting a thread and ranting about it will achieve absolutely nothing except feed your own ego.

The Following User Says Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Nokia sold a service, took the money and does not provide the service.
Yeah, and others say that Wayfinder is 3rd party.
So, two different opinions, all said.
See ya.

I like the Internet because I find stuff like this http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...wayfinder.html
and this http://www.wayfinder.com/
and this http://www.mobileindustryreview.com/...nd_google.html

Nokia offers a free version of mapping software but unfortunately not for maemo users - there is a rumour it will be.

Tags
enough., fanbois, fightinfanbois, fud, opinion=fanboi, trolling, whydoievenreply