Active Topics

Notices

Browser Mods

Hello everyone. I wanted to share some maemo browser(MicroB) mods.
These do not require some additional softwares because its using firefox configs.
Im using the settings i use on my desktop firefox.

First go to the address bar in the browser window and type
Code:
about:config
Click on "ill be careful"

Network pipelining
This is a feature thats speeds up my browser on desktop.
Click on the textbox next to filter and type NpipN and press enter.
You should see the filtered options

To change any value, click on the value and press enter. If its a boolean value(true or false), it will change states between true and false. If the value is a text field, a new popup shows up asking you for a new value.

Change the values according to my screenshot below. The ones in bold are the values i edited. As for the max requests, experiment from 4 to 30 and see which works. after your done, restart MicroB.

Address bar Google search.

By default, when you type anything in the address bar and press enter, it searches in google mobile which can be annoying. If u want it to search in google desktop, go back to about:config,
in the filter type, "keyword".
click on "keyword.url" and press enter. change the tect to
Code:
http://www.google.com/search?btnG=Google+Search&q=
If u want it to use "im feeling lucky" ie, when you search for anythin it wll dip theirst website from sarch results automatically,
change the smae keyword.url to
Code:
http://www.google.com/search?btnI=I%27m+Feeling+Lucky&q=
Tracemonkey
Tracemonkey is the fastest javascript engine from mozilla. Usually its found in the sesktop versions and speeds up browsing. Remember that tracemonkey is not the fastest javascript engine as google has a faster one in chrome. I do not know if it will have any improvements in your browsing or not but its sure worth a try. To enable tracemonkey, in the filter type "jit".
Find "javascript.options.jit.chrome" and "javascript.options.jit.content". Click on it and press enter. It should change its value to true.

Let me know about your experiencs and contributios.

The Following 50 Users Say Thank You to lifenexus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 38 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Guildford, UK
Thanks for the tips. I've tried out enabling Tracemonkey, which I've found makes things a lot slower when javascript was concerned. I went to Chromeexperiments.com and tried some of the examples there. The one I tried "Ball Pool" with and without javascript.options.jit.chrome/content enabled and I've found that when that is disabled, it's a lot quicker.

I like the change of google search settings though, I hate having to use Google Mobile when I can use full-fat Google instead.

Posts: 458 | Thanked: 274 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Finland
Is there any way to add a new value in N900. I would like to add "nglayout.initialpaint.delay", as descripted in here as this makes Firefox show everything as soon as they are loaded and therefore make it a lot faster.

Originally Posted by Crugath View Post
Thanks for the tips. I've tried out enabling Tracemonkey, which I've found makes things a lot slower when javascript was concerned. I went to Chromeexperiments.com and tried some of the examples there. The one I tried "Ball Pool" with and without javascript.options.jit.chrome/content enabled and I've found that when that is disabled, it's a lot quicker.

I like the change of google search settings though, I hate having to use Google Mobile when I can use full-fat Google instead.
i noticed that too. maybe someone can try it out to some good.

Originally Posted by MiK546 View Post
Is there any way to add a new value in N900. I would like to add "nglayout.initialpaint.delay", as descripted in here as this makes Firefox show everything as soon as they are loaded and therefore make it a lot faster.
i couldnt find a way to rightclick

Posts: 478 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Manchester
I aint been able to find a way to do this in MicroB, but Fennac makes it easy to add new values. This has sped it up quite a bit so definitely worth doing. Probably wont help the performance of flash though so will probably still be using MicroB as my browser of choice!

Edit: just realised my tests are under 3G. Gonna try on wifi later!

Last edited by mornage; 2010-04-21 at 16:23.

Originally Posted by mornage View Post
I aint been able to find a way to do this in MicroB, but Fennac makes it easy to add new values. This has sped it up quite a bit so definitely worth doing. Probably wont help the performance of flash though so will probably still be using MicroB as my browser of choice!

Edit: just realised my tests are under 3G. Gonna try on wifi later!
let us know if there are any advantages. the tracemonkey is no good

Is there any mod that will open google.com when I press the web icon rather than opening the bookmarks? That'd be a great one for me.

Originally Posted by lifenexus View Post
let us know if there are any advantages. the tracemonkey is no good
fennec is definately quicker with the tweaks (not tried tracemonkey on it though) played iplayer no problem when opened in a new window. pages load much quicker with the additional value added (cant remember which value it was and i have lost the side of the screen since clicking in this box so cannot see it when i scroll down).

apart from the time it takes to start up, i think fennec is much quicker than microB now. although there are some things that need addressing (such as losing the side after focusing on texts boxes) but it is the beta....

Edit: nglayout.initialpaint.delay is the string I couldn't remeber or see!

Last edited by mornage; 2010-04-21 at 18:00.

oh yeah, I did also adjust:

network.http.max-connections-per-server to 32
network.http.max-connections to 16

as shown here

The Following User Says Thank You to mornage For This Useful Post: