Active Topics

The UX is too big, its an outdated design and the thumb keyboard is utter crap. Sony doesnt even make them anymore. I own a benq s6 aswell as a nokia n810 and while the s6 has full windows xp on it, i use my n810 way more. Sure its slow and clunky and has reached its end of life, but its a fun and enjoyable device even to this day.

Im actually gonna sell my 3 month old benq S6 as i just dont use it. I thought id like it better then the n810 but i dont.

Look at you people. Are you really trying to convince me that a ARM smartphone with almost the same thickness and sizes is BETTER ??? than a full x86 COMPUTER ? haha buyer's remorse is kicking in fast

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Are you really trying to convince me that
Sony UX: 150 x 95 x 38 mm and 540g is almost the same size as
N900 : 111 x 60 x 20 mm and 182g
In which world do you live? I ask because I want to live there too, then I would grab my house and put it in my backpocket...
Also the N900 really have more memory!
And a way longer battery life caused by the outdated processor in the UX, the Harddrive (outdated, too)
xD
think before you post.
If it suits your need, good!
But if you wanted something like the N900: sorry, you bought ****..

Last edited by zehjotkah; 2010-02-09 at 08:56.

Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
Are you really trying to convince me that
Sony UX: 150 x 95 x 38 mm and 540g is almost the same size as
N900 : 111 x 60 x 20 mm and 182g
In which world do you live? I ask because I want to live there too, then I would grab my house and put it in my backpocket...
Also the N900 really have more memory!
And a way longer battery life caused by the outdated processor in the UX, the Harddrive (outdated, too)
xD
think before you post.
If it suits your need, good!
But if you wanted something like the N900: sorry, you bought ****..
WOW, I never knew Linux geeks can be so STUPID.
How does the N900 have more memory ? It has 256 real memory and the rest up to 1 GB SWAP, idiot. The UX has real 1024 MB memory and SWAP to your discretion. It has a SSD, you dumbass, which is much better than the inbuilt flash memory on your little gimmick N900. I can upgrade to a bigger, faster one ASAP, smarty pants.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
As I said: think before you write.
I never talked about RAM. It is obvious that the UX needs more RAM because of the overblown system on it.
I was talking about the memory. The N900 does have 32GB internal memory. The UX does have 30GB physical harddisk (even my 5 years old iriver does have more).
You are talking about replacing it. Sure you could do that. But you will loose your warranty and have to pay for the new harddisk. SSDs are not cheap.
Also it is funny how you use personal offenses to hide your lack of arguments.
Have a nice day!

For what it's worth, I have both an N900 and a Sony UX1XN (modified with a Core2Duo and I've swapped the standard 32GB SSD for a 64GB SSD). I have also owned an N800 and an N810 in the past. The differences between these devices are only really relevant if you have need to use them. For the most part there is little to choose between them in terms of surfing the web, accessing email, even satellite navigation etc. Yes, the UX eats batteries and yes it is HUGE in comparison to the N900... but can you play UT2004 on the n900? For me, the UX has replaced my previous laptop, and the N900 has replaced my previous phone. None of the UX's keyboard shortcomings matter when it's docked!

It really just depends what you want / need. No use arguing over which is best really.

Oh and comparing used ebay prices for a 2-5 year old UX against new retail prices of the N900 makes absolutely no sense. The UX cost a lot more when new!

Sony VAIO UX-series are nice for what they are, I knew all about them and still bought an N900 because I needed to replace my phone, not just buy a handheld computer.

Now the question is, who spams about an out-of-production device?

I dunno why you'd buy a Sony UX for that price when you can get an equivalent specced Vaio P for at the most £50 more...

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
You could have a lot of fun bringing the spec up to this

http://www.umpcportal.com/2009/11/mo...-in-the-world/

http://www.micropctalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6960

It almost makes me regret never having bought one. Though for £400 I would be seriously tempted

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
I am crazy about UMPCs but I wouldn't fool anyone about the practicalities of carrying this device like a smartphone.

You would need an extended battery + external powerpack in your pocket for starters.

It is too fat to hold as a phone or to be comfortable in your pocket. Seriously.

Modding the device in the way shown is by sending the device to a single guy in taiwan. Its not a regular job. It needs soldering and resoldering of the motherboard.

The screen is too small (4.5") in relation to its size.

I wouldn't want to carry a $1500 dollar (and thats used) modded device outside of my house.

That said if this thing was updated to 2010 technology and size it would be pretty neat.

Last edited by imperiallight; 2010-04-21 at 22:20.