Notices

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 375 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Berlin
Originally Posted by Dunsurfin View Post
What would be the best way of configuring Tor to use a specific country as an exit node?
Would this link help: http://www.ghacks.net/2008/01/29/con...-an-exit-node/ ?

As I understand, you have to find the exit nodes yourself, add them to the ExitNodes parameter in /etc/tor/torrc and set StrictExitNodes to 1.

The Following User Says Thank You to pH5 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 103 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Chicago
pH5,

Thank you. That worked for me. For anyone else attempting to try the same thing here is what I did:

1: Installed rootsh (from extras http://maemo.org/downloads/product/Maemo5/rootsh/)

2: In the Command Line, typed "sudo gainroot"

3: Navigated to /etc/tor/torrc

4: Copied torrc to my home directory

5: Edited torrc in my home directory with Leafpad (text editor)

6: Added theses 2 lines to end of the file:

ExitNodes server1, server2, server3
StrictExitNodes 1

7: Replaced server1, server2 and server 3 with UK exit nodes (found from http://proxy.org/tor.shtml)

8: Saved torrc

9: Copied torrc back to /etc/tor/torrc

Everything worked!

It would be nice if there was a way to edit the config file from the Tor Applet, but hopefully the exit nodes do not change too frequently.

Thanks again for your help.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I'm getting an error message with this program -- the error message says that correct time is needed and that I'm two hours and 40 minutes.

My time is correct, however. I had this error about a month ago and fixed it, I think, by going into torrc and changing the time listed there. But now I can't find the right place in torrc to fix the time.

I'm typing fact because I'm leaving -- does anyone know what I'm talking about and how to fix this?

After PR 1.2 it seems the tor applet refuses to work. It does connect and I do have bridges in place but I get a "Socket connection error/Connection refused" and it still gets connected but nothing is anonymized.

Anybody else facing this?

Same here issue here. I don't have any manual relays, but I also get the banner notification, proper connection, but check at the tor project check page - it's not actually doing anything.

I've sent the developer an email so lets' see what comes back.

Okay wierd wierd wierd. I checked the check.torproject.org page and it says Congratulations you are connected to Tor and everything seems to be working fine again. I still got the error when enabling it but seems like tor is doing the job.

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Chicago
Tor was working for me after upgrading to PR 1.2. I had to reinstall it, as I neglected to backup my applications.

I also changed settings on torrc (see my earlier post on this page), but everything worked (to the best of my knowledge).

The Following User Says Thank You to Dunsurfin For This Useful Post:
I might reinstall it but it's working fine as of now (with the error at startup) but that does not bother me too much.

I see what you are doing with the config file but that wont help me much since there is nobody with relays in my country. I can only look for nearest nodes that are fast enough for me but then again i'd hate to edit it every now and then given they keep changing.

thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind. I'm a dummy. Works perfect now, apart from the banner saying it can't connect, when it actually does.

Last edited by hawaii; 2010-06-02 at 03:58.

Tags
"tor story"