Active Topics

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by junooni View Post
and so are most of us. dont know why is it so hard for ppl like u to get the idea that none of us like to bash nokia or the device, its just were worried about teh future and the way things are happining at nokia. None of us have no clue and thats what worries us where as Igave apple just as an example that its a company that just started in the phone business and became the ruler..ive been a very loyal nokia user and have used just nokia all the way..
Is the lack of capitalization and immense blocks of text what happens when one write from an N900?
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Originally Posted by texrat View Post
junooni, just a bit of caution: In some of your posts you are borderline offensive. Hate on a mechanical contrivance all you like, but be respectful of the people here.
you know what i just wanna set the record straight.
I apologize if i was offending anyone, i wanna make it very clear my purpose is to call wrong{{wrong}}.
But in the mist of all this if i was rude or offensive im sorry.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
btw. I recommended the N900 to two guys. One Linux lover (but not very experienced, loves it, because it is free, also uses often Windows) and a very casual end user. Both are happy.
I gave my N810 to my sister and she is happy, too. Prefers it over the iPhone (fingernails and her huge DVD database in excel).
But there are also people who wouldn't be happy with maemo and prefer iPhone, so what is your point, junooni?
People are different, and there is no "one mobile device for all".

Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
Is the lack of capitalization and immense blocks of text what happens when one write from an N900?
and you see now when u ran outta facts ur gonan try to take the back door on th vocab and editing. Come on man...setup up..

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ T.M.O
Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
Nokia's reaction, short-term, was the 5800 XM. Quite a success.
Yes it was, I bought it and returned it cause of the UI. Got a E71 and didn't look back. Don't confuse brand loyalty to a good product. it only takes one so far.

They do have a clear product strategy, based in the motto "One size doesn't fit all". It was presented crystal clear in Nokia World, in the presentation of Capital Markets, etc. Just google around for it.

The 3rd world market is in fact the market where the money is. The richest man of the world based his money in mobile in the developing world. Source: [url]http://communities-dominate.blogs.com/brands/2010/03/carlos-slim-worlds-richest-person-made-his-money-with-mobile.html
While the idea is great, But then why would Nokia try and simplify their product lines with the new nomenclature. I guess it does make sense at some level.

IF all the money was in developing countries. Nokia would be making tons of profits and going upwards only.

Look at the APAC countries, Nokia dominate there hands down. But does it compare well to the companies who play only in the developed markets mainly?

Nokia needs to have a leg in both the worlds, not just one. Profit and sales may be related but are not the same IMHO.

The whole idea of Qt, of Symbian passed to the Foundation and MeeGo is precisely to make hardware irrelevant, as long is running Qt. In a sense, an OS is a virtualization layer between the HW and SW. That is why I know I can run Windows or Linux software on my PC, independently if its an Acer, Dell, Lenovo, etc.
Did you really just compare a general purpose computer software/OSes to a targeted embedded one? Call me when you can run different OSes on embedded devices that easily too.

Yes QT will help, but the underlying support and some standardization needs to be there to help it along.

While I don't like the differences between FP's and N and E series, it is clearly working for them (i.e: marketshare just grew, see post above mine).
The market share just shows sales of those devices seperately, Doesn't show how much better it could be if they had more overlap in functionality. But I guess that's a difference of opinion.

Mine is based so, cause I have seen enough people cribbing about the disparity. You may not have.

And that is exactly why MeeGo is coming around, and why Symbian^3 and 4 are being designed.
I'm hopeful Meego within a Nokia UI/Ecosystem might be nice. But it being open I worry about it too much getting ripped apart by every vendor as they see fit. What it does to application portability or platform viability I don't know.

Symbian 3 & 4 I'm not sure about yet. The UI till now in the demos hasn't looked very promising. I'm more of a realist than an outright optimist in that regards. Lets see.

Agreed, and they are working on it. That you have been unable to inform yourself adequately, or disagree with their decisions, doesn't invalidate them.
I'm informed enough to know where I think a company I like lacks, and where they are good at. I suggest you keep the attitude to yourself on that regards.

I have done so, and they are happy with their N900's.
I sincerely hope they are too . But I don't recommend a beta product to anyone. I don't mind owning one myself as I keep a E72 for important purposes.

Meego I may after using it. The N900 I just wont. After a friend ended up buying one after using mine and got stuck in the whole mail for exchange mess.

[rant]One thing that I hate from Internet, is that anyone is free to spew their opinions, no matter how misinformed they are, and present it as the holy grail of truth. It is something that is happening in the media as well, sadly.[/rant]
I somehow seem to handle better their lack of faith or misguided optimism.

Last edited by un-named_user; 2010-04-22 at 22:34. Reason: removed a line.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Looks like the thread's heating up again and this time it's not my fault.

Virtual beers for all combatants-- er, conversants.

Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
so what is your point, junooni?
People are different, and there is no "one mobile device for all".
yeah i agree with you and imam say it again i gave apple as an example, im all about n900 too man...that is the only reason why im whining cus i want it to be heard that this company needs to wake up and face the truth and fight the tough competition. to stay on top and mostly to keep the customers the loyal customers satisfied. atleast the majority.

and so are most of us. dont know why is it so hard for ppl like u to get the idea that none of us like to bash nokia or the device, its just were worried about teh future and the way things are happining at nokia. None of us have no clue and thats what worries us where as Igave apple just as an example that its a company that just started in the phone business and became the ruler..ive been a very loyal nokia user and have used just nokia all the way..
"The future" and "the way things are happening at Nokia" is something I, and others, have been trying to explain again and again, and people seems unable to understand. So, on one last effort to ignore the ad hominem you have been so happy to pile on me, here it is:

a) Nokia is not going to copy Apple's model. Period. Why? Because it is against their philosophy, corporate culture, goals, etc.

b) Nokia is not, and have never tried really to be, a handset luxury maker (like Apple and the iPhone). They are the Honda or Toyota of the handset world. That is why they have 41% of the whole market share. They make more handsets that every other manufacturer.

c) Nokia recognized something that a lot of people keep saying but really don't understand: the ecosystem and platform is the future, over handsets themselves. That is why they focused on changing to be a provider of that, over launching new shiny high end handsets.

d) Why did they do that? Because the luxury smartphone market is crowded enough, changing Symbian to be "shiny" was going to take time, changing Maemo to be shiny was going to take time, and for the Ovi store to mature was going to take time.

d) In the meantime, they chose to be stronger in the emerging/low market, by pushing previous "high end" models there (like the 3 new C and E phones they launched).

e) All that has left high end consumers with a very foul taste in their mouths. Symbian, right now, doesn´t have anything to impress. Hopefully they will. Nothing new in the MeeGo front. And the announcement of MeeGo, in my opinion, was very poorly managed.

And about the N900, their vagueness about future support has been unclear at best. Quim Gil said that there were more software releases for the N900 in the pipeline, based on Fremantle. But the real question, of MeeGo on the N900, has not been clearly answered yet. And that is why I ultimately decided not to buy one! (my friends that got one didn't care about that, btw).

A lot of things are supposed to happen this year. The new release of Qt, supporting multiple platforms, the launch of new, Snapdragon powered Symbian devices, the launch of the new MeeGo device, the launch of the revamped Ovi store.

My recommendation has always been: wait and see. As hard as it is.

If not, get an Android device.. the HTC Desire is tempting enough...

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ T.M.O
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Looks like the thread's heating up again and this time it's not my fault.

Virtual beers for all combatants-- er, conversants.
Good idea. But I'l go get a real one quick. This thread is going to catch fire soon

And somehow all similar topics end up being like this

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
...if you read the entire thread it wasnt me who started it..so please..
I stand guilty as charged. But not particularly sorry.

Anyway, to get back on topic...I say Nokia is ahead - not behind! Hear me out. BTW,a large part of what follows is from a post I did in the MeeGo forum...

As has been said, Apple got where they are by bringing out a (seemingly) new, (somewhat) compelling product and expertly marketing the hell outta the thing. But they - and other companies - have been in such a position before and fallen. History shows that eventually, open (or even semi-open) systems will eventually break the stranglehold of totally closed ones, even if a closed system is technically superior. Monopolies never last forever.

Support of an OS by many companies against that of one company is how Microsoft overtook Apple's early lead in PCs and how Android will likely soon overtake the iPhone's early lead (leaving Symbian aside for the moment). Like Apple did with PCs, Sony tried to rule VCRs with the closed BetaMax system, allowed on only their hardware, but were overtaken by the VHS system because it was supported by many manufacturers. Choice and price eventually wins out. Nokia and Intel aren't ignorant of that kind of tech history.

In America advertising is everything. Americans are generally tech-stupid. They buy what they're told or popular, not what's best. The same can be said elsewhere, but we Americans are particularly gullible. Nokia realized promoting Maemo by themselves even with a massive and expensive ad campaign probably wasn't going to be enough for Maemo to get where it needed to be in terms of market share and developer interest. For long-term survival in the smartphone/pocket computer marketplace against Apple, RIM and Android, it's obvious that it would take strength in numbers - really big numbers. So Nokia smartly teamed up with another absolute monster in Intel to add clout, resources and respectibility to MeeGo. And open-sourced MeeGo to add further incentive for other companies to get on board.

Add to all that the fact that Maemo/MeeGo is the most capable, advanced mobile OS currently in sight. No, the most technically advanced system doesn't always win in the marketplace, but it can't hurt that it's the one mobile OS designed from the start for pocket computing, not simply as a smartphone OS. MeeGo will be ready for whatever future hardware and software can throw at it for the next 2-3 even 5 years.

All the above is kinda obvious to readers here I know, but I just wanted to state clearly why IMHO MeeGo + Qt is a solid plan. Why I say Nokia has in fact not been left behind, but is actually ahead! Back when they were developing the N900 Nokia was already thinking in terms that other companies hadn't seriously considered - not of 'smartphones' but real pocket computers. And that if their plan is properly executed it could make MeeGo huge in 2-3 years. Now, what would be properly executing the plan?

1. Get MeeGo on hardware from multiple manufacturers.
2. Apps, baby! Lotsa apps!
3. Market the hell outta MeeGo!
Registered Linux user #266531.

Last edited by Crashdamage; 2010-04-22 at 22:35.

Tags
fud, fud-ohwait-not, just shoot me, open source