I think the same instructions that were successful for installing Windows Mobile on our n8x0 series tablets will probably work for installing the iPhone OS on our n900. See the instructions here.

Last edited by codeMonkey; 2010-04-22 at 07:49. Reason: typo

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Anyway, it would be like making a sow's ear out of a silk purse.

Originally Posted by tusharmax View Post
iphone os just like mac os x is derived from from Darwin is built around XNU, a hybrid kernel that combines the Mach 3 microkernel, various elements of BSD (including the process model, network stack, and virtual file system), and an object-oriented device driver API called I/O Kit.

iphone os applications are built using objective-C just like mac os x.

The aqua ui and cocoa abstraction layer is the same for both of them. The only difference being iphone uses cocoa touch layer (which is pretty obvious)

I hope that clears up your misconceptions!

Btw OS X , is just not another name they found via dictionary to name their fones and desktops/laptops operating system. Mac OS X, whose "X" represents the Roman numeral for "10" and is a prominent part of its brand identity, is a Unix-based graphical operating system. "X" in linux world stands for computer software system and network protocol that provides a graphical user interface (GUI) . Having a common ancestory( linux, bsd, nextstep) it was obvious to have such a name.
My point was iPhone OS did not come from OS X, and your point was they both come from the same place, it's different. Thanks for all that extra information though, paired with the 6th grade wit and misspellings it really made for a convincing post

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany , Thüringen
i dont get it why all people saying that the Iphone OS is so closed at all, if i compare it with the N900 Maemo OS i cant see this difference.

Maemo5 the Drivers for the GSM Part and i guess some other hw related Drivers are locked by Nokia too. And for the IPHONE OS its possible to develop Apps too so where is the difference?

Also i see that they say Iphone OS4 doesnt have a real Multitasking, for the fancy iam rich Iphone Customer this isnt relevant and i bet when you use it you wont feel a difference to the N900 at this point too. But its really funny that we see now Android at on of the most closest Devices out there first and not at the "fully Open" N900 Device so let me remember what was the Problem with the NIT Android on N900 ahh right the Hardware Drivers..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yO2K...layer_embedded

When i read the news about all the upcoming Devices and the OS4 for Iphone, MS KIN, Android 2.1, winmob 7 i fear if Nokia dont moves on faster there lost the run.

just my 2 cents..

Last edited by crown77; 2010-04-22 at 07:24.

The Following User Says Thank You to crown77 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Lazarpandar View Post
My point was iPhone OS did not come from OS X, and your point was they both come from the same place, it's different. Thanks for all that extra information though, paired with the 6th grade wit and misspellings it really made for a convincing post
I have usually seen this with many individuals who unable to comprehend/face the response resort to targeting the responders linguistic abilities or resort to personal academicia profiling.

The response was neither to show my linguistic abilities nor to prove my credentials .

Ah by the way am a cocoa developer which probably means my points donot reflect a 6th grader

iphone os is based on os x - this statement is entirely not wrong either. Both use the same mach kernel . Now daddy mac os x came first and lill prolly iphone came much later ( as 6 th graders usually understand) hence in a manner the platform is in hierarchy. The only MAIN difference being daddy mac os x being on ppc/intel architecture and iphone os being a somewhat port on ARM architecture.

I dont have the energy nor the time to clear varities of kiddy interpretations. But in the most simplest way to understand what i mean check this.
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2007/0...-architecture/

Last edited by tusharmax; 2010-04-22 at 07:38.

The Following User Says Thank You to tusharmax For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tusharmax View Post
long post, I don't want to flood the thread
You're saying the same thing again though, let's say hypothetically a monkey and a koala evolved from the same animal (this may or may not be true, I'm not a biologist) the same way the iPhone OS and OS X were based on the same kernel. What was said was that iPhone OS was based on OS X, which is like saying a monkey evolved from a koala, this is untrue.

You're saying they came from the same thing, that is true. But to say one came from the other is untrue. Me and my brother came from the same mother but he had no part in creating me.

Do you see now? I'm not wrong, and neither are you. The problem with your argument is you're refuting a point that isn't the one I was making. I don't care what experience you have as a developer, your reading comprehension skills are poor and I'd go so far as to guess that English was probably your second language.

Onto the part about me saying "They name it OS X because it sounds pretty", I realize X is the roman numeral 10 and it is the 10th revision of the OS, that isn't what I was referring to. Early on the iPhone OS was referred to as iPhone OS X. That is bologna and is what I thought the OP based his belief that iPhone OS X was based on Mac OS X. The truth is they only called it iPhone OS X because it sounded pretty.

Last edited by Lazarpandar; 2010-04-23 at 05:32.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lazarpandar For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by crown77 View Post
i dont get it why all people saying that the Iphone OS is so closed at all, if i compare it with the N900 Maemo OS i cant see this difference.
The iPhone OS is closed because:
- No source code is available for any of the OS.
- Out of the box you are not able to load software on the device without going through the app store.

Maemo5 the Drivers for the GSM Part and i guess some other hw related Drivers are locked by Nokia too. And for the IPHONE OS its possible to develop Apps too so where is the difference?
Not quite. While Nokia's software for calls isn't open, the Ofono software stack works with it.; and just because you can develop software for it doesn't make it open, especially not if Apple requires you pay $99 before you can load it on -any- iPhone, on top of them having veto power over you giving it to anyone.

Problem with the NIT Android on N900 ahh right the Hardware Drivers..
Currently the N900 drivers are a giant patch on the 2.6.28 kernel, combining the hardware drivers plus the Android patches is a giant pain in the ***. If they get the drivers into the upstream for the kernel, it would probably be easier.

Posts: 336 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ France
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Not quite. While Nokia's software for calls isn't open, the Ofono software stack works with it.; and just because you can develop software for it doesn't make it open, especially not if Apple requires you pay $99 before you can load it on -any- iPhone, on top of them having veto power over you giving it to anyone.
Except that charging for the SDK allows Apple to invest more in it. It becomes a product, and there is a definite return, which makes it a lot easier to sacrifice a couple of millions to develop an excellent product.

The iPhone SDK is lightyears away from what we get with Maemo. Scratchbox? Xephyr? Let me laugh, you can't even properly emulate GPS, phone or BT features without everything crashing into a pile of unusable ash. Also, by registering all the developers, Apple is making a very smart move: accountability.

Don't say that Apple is the only one using their veto right. Nokia pulled emulators -- and we've killed off the only decent game developer on Maemo because he abused the QA process.

Please put your fanboyism back in the broomstick until you know how to use it.

The Following User Says Thank You to CrashandDie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
why would you want MAC OSX on the n900?????

iPhone apps on the n900 ye thats more like it

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
you have n900 and asking for ability to run iphone os on n900 !!!! why you got n900 from the beginning ?? its more easy to go to apple and get iphone.

Tags
i enjoy if, monkey fly out, of my butt