Active Topics

Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
so you wanna hug or what? keep that threads for your personal blogs please.
I have the phone so I'd rather hug that than you, but thanks for the offer.

Originally Posted by michou View Post
I honestly don't understand what the fuss is about. I agree with some of the posts, that yes Nokia has missed the mark with their high-end smartphones, but then at the same time they are the best sellers in developing countries such as China, India, Africa.
Right now I'd agree with you, but let's take a longer view. As these countries "tech up"( and yeah I admit the charge of parochialism here but I don't know another way to phrase it), and access to charging points away from urban centres becomes more readily available, the need for a phone which lasts a week becomes less important. The features that a smartphone provides will become more important.

As that happens, which brands are going to gain the most? In my opinion it'll be the aspirational brands, the ones which say "Hey, I've made it. I'm on a level playing field in the international arena". And guess which one is top of the heap from an aspirational perspective?

I fully accept that Nokia are the market leaders, and I would love nothing better than to see them wipe Mr. Job's execrable business model off the map and have apple be forced to be more open and less proscriptive, but to do that they need to have a credible consumer smartphone out there. For all its glory, openness, amazing feature set and looks, the N900 isn't it ... yet.

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Yorkshire, UK
Everyone I know has an HTC (running winmo 6.5 or android) or an iphone. No one has a nokia, All of work (NHS) have blackberrys. Given my circle of friends are all tech geeks who work in IT and into cutting edge stuff with regards using their phones more than a normal person, I think the fact none of them remotely touch Nokia is damning. One had a N97 for a month but sent it back for lots of reasons.

They make cheap and nasty candy bars for emerging markets, or cheap company phones with limited tech on board, but as smartphones there is little too shout about. So I think they will keep their market share but it won't be a worth while market share, everyone does candy bar phones and the money is in the higher end phones.

Having played with an HTC desire (basically the nexus without google) over the weekend, I am truly saddened at how far android and the android market place have gone in such a short time. 7 screens of loveliness that whooped my N900 phone. Apps to die for. Shows what a company supporting their products can do, to me at least. (and I can't stand google)

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
I'm losing faith in Nokia.
Seriously, who cares?
You could already moan about it in the N+1th topic in here about that.
But nooooooo, you HAD TO open a new thread to show off... Great!

Now go sell your N900 on Ebay, buy an iPhone! I mean, seriously!
Until the next Maemo device comes out, you can still fetch a decent price for your few-month-old N900.

Perhaps the new owner will contribute to this community better!

For the same money, you can easily buy an iPhone, and you can then start your whining in in here.

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Originally Posted by twigleaf1976 View Post
They make cheap and nasty candy bars for emerging markets, or cheap company phones with limited tech on board, but as smartphones there is little too shout about. So I think they will keep their market share but it won't be a worth while market share, everyone does candy bar phones and the money is in the higher end phones.
This is exactly what is going to happen - I realised this back in January where a Nokia director said "it is unlikely the n900 would get free OVI maps" and the deafening silence that followed.

Nokia's future will be mobile phone maker not smartphone maker.

It's a damn shame I was hoping Nokia would step up to the challenge. I was kinda proud of a european company holding it's own against 2 american companies.

As Orange would say "The future is bright the future is orange"

As Nokia would say "The future is dull the future is a mildy insipid grey"

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Okay, so, this is getting ridiculous.
Seriously.
I'm okay with one or two threads about this, but it is simly ridiculous that every noob (denoted by some as a 'troll') has his own whining thread in this forum.

We should organize an event here on the forums.
All the people who whine about the N900 should sell their N900s to people who don't have the device but are interested in it.
And to those people who want to take part in the community, but they can't afford to buy a new one, this would be a great opportunity.

And then, all the whiners could buy an iPhone (or HTC, whatever), and go off to Apple's and HTC's forums to whine about their devices.

This would reduce the amount of work for moderators, the server bandwith costs, and it would be also great to find actually meaningful threads in the "Active Topics" section.

And also, we would get new people who would actually contribute to the community, not just whine here about the same over and again.
(I'm beginning to think that they are employees of a competitor company, and are PAID for this.)

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
Okay, so, this is getting ridiculous.
Seriously.
I'm okay with one or two threads about this, but it is simly ridiculous that every noob (denoted by some as a 'troll') has his own whining thread in this forum.

We should organize an event here on the forums.
All the people who whine about the N900 should sell their N900s to people who don't have the device but are interested in it.
And to those people who want to take part in the community, but they can't afford to buy a new one, this would be a great opportunity.

And then, all the whiners could buy an iPhone (or HTC, whatever), and go off to Apple's and HTC's forums to whine about their devices.

This would reduce the amount of work for moderators, the server bandwith costs, and it would be also great to find actually meaningful threads in the "Active Topics" section.

And also, we would get new people who would actually contribute to the community, not just whine here about the same over and again.
(I'm beginning to think that they are employees of a competitor company, and are PAID for this.)
At the moment this thread is discussing the ability of Nokia to compete in the smartphone market place.

Nobody is whining about the n900.
It is an intelligent discussion until you posted your rant.

I suggest you stop reading this thread any further.

Your post also has a sense of irony too.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
If I couldn't choose to do "a whole lot of nothing," could I be considered free?
Feel free to do discover so...
I can't help feeling that you're just seeing what you want to see.
Last Skype update was when? How's that freedom working on bring that forward facing camera into use outside of aMSN?

I'm basing things on facts. And amazingly so, I don't want Maemo to seem like it's lacking. But it is... at least it is (and I've stated this before ad nauseum) for this customer.

Apple is being steered by a deeply passionate visionary dictator.
No argument there. One that's really pissing me off as of late. Blame the Adobe Flash dev in me and that lil' SDK addition.

But I'll not get into the open-closed source argument. I'll support what fits my needs the best.

I'm not sure that it matters, but I don't think you even own an n900.
No compelling reasons to buy one. I'm not going to move to a cellphone company that doesn't have 3G in my area, I refuse to drop down to EDGE, I refuse to buy a phone where the upgrade path isn't as obvious as it should/could be and I need a proper Twitter app and/or GPS that actually locks in mere moments. I've used the N900... it locked sometimes up to 6-10 minutes while in cities - was just in Pittsburgh, it took 7 minutes while downtown.

Among other needs that are sorely not met 100% due to my Mac usage (among Linux & Win7 & Win2k3/2k8 Server usage)... I can't sync to my Mac. There's a few workarounds posted here, but that's such a convoluted way to do things all of the time.

So as someone that does, and as someone that also enjoys a freedom that very few will ever know, I have to disagree with you.
You're free to do so. Just as I'm quite free to disagree.

The freedom to do everything produces the only things worth producing.
It doesn't quite do everything. And to be fair; no platform at the moment does everything. Sadly, people tend to refuse to believe that... if it does everything, please show me how to make a Skype video call. That is important to me... and would mean that it actually does do everything.

And no... it doesn't mean that I'm advocating the iPhone 3G/3GS either. It doesn't even have a forward facing camera. But, via Fring... it can receive video at least. Oh... Fring's not on the N900 yet either.

It does everything... right? That's very subjective to your uses it seems. I can name quite a few more things that it doesn't do for me. Thus... my aforesaid non-purchase.

And I'm playing freedom's advocate.
And I'm a realist. I'm glad you enjoy your N900. Truly am happy for you.

But it's not about "seeing what I want to see"... I see some mighty big gaps that honestly... I'd rather not see. What's so wrong with that?

Posts: 288 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by NokTokDaddy View Post
Try going onto sites like this for Apple, Google, Android, WM, etc - some of the rants are very familiar...

No company can ever stay on top all the time - it's all about peaks and troughs because no-one can predict markets 100%.

As a handset manufacturer Nokia's record and performance is evident; they make more smartphones for a wider range of people on this planet than any other manufacturer. Symbian is still the most popular smartphone OS, so Nokia are still the 'milestone setter' you first perceived. Maemo/Meego and Symbian^3 will only build on that.

Your recent experience has not satisfied you as an individual. Whilst that is regrettable, I'm sure you understand that Nokia don't make devices just to suit you. You may not be alone in your complaints, but that is a drop in the ocean to a huge company like Nokia who operate in so many markets. It's not that they don't care, it's that they have to look to the big picture to stay in business.

I am not a 'power user', developer or industry insider - I'm just a guy who loves his phones. For me, Nokia are still showing the way: the quality, range and features available mean I'll keep looking at this brand first. I'm not blind to other mfrs, OS's, etc., I try them out and compare with friends, but I keep coming back for some reason...

For me, the N900 is where I want to be: a stable OS, good features (although I'm still missing some) and excellent build quality. Best of all I'm part of the next wave of smartphone/superphone technology that keeps getting better. PR 1.2 will come and now we hear that Meego will definately come. What more do YOU want?

Being at the frontier has allways been challenging - but ultimately more rewarding. Keep the Faith.
Brilliant. Best response I've read in this forum by far. This is the spirit the Maemo community should emulate. No rabid fanboyism but a mature response with a simple acceptance of reality. I SALUTE.

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by bandora View Post
It's not that we're fanboys of Nokia but we actually do some research/reading/LISTENING before we buy something... Nokia has always stated that Maemo 5 and N900 is step 4/5 and it's meant to be a device mostly for DEVELOPERS/TESTERS... So in other words the N900 was meant to be more of a community driven device... But people are dumb enough to ignore all this and start complaining here on (maemo.org); WHICH IS A COMMUNITY SITE and not an official Nokia support forum... And they're dumb enough to keep on posting new threads almost everyday without searching... So everyonne who is complaining about this is really just showing the rest that you have not done your homework and now you're complaining why you're getting a bad grade... Do you see how that really is dumb now?
You're kidding right? the fact that the device is "mostly for developers/testers" does not equal to community driven. Your logic fails as you made those two connections in your head. Ask yourself this, if Nokia is supporting the phone the way it should be, would you be complaining "hey, why is nokia so hands on with this device? it's supposed to be community driven" and if your reaction is still the same, then I'll give you the win.

See, you're only using the argument that it's supposed to be community driven device because nokia is not really moving this device forward the way it should be!

I still see some people arguing about how it was marketed as a computer in your palms and not a phone etc etc! But even as a computer it's not working the way it's supposed to.

You guys are just repeating yourself! I argue that the phone function doesn't work, you counter that it's not supposed to be a phone but a computer. I say the computer function sucks, you tell me that it's a community driven device. It's like every single argument I have for not liking this phone, people have a counter argument ready to go. Enough already, it doesn't work as a phone, and it definitely doesn't work as a computer, and the community is not really driving this phone forward because of the lack of support from Nokia!

Just admit already that Nokia is not putting enough effort into satisfying their N900 users!

Tags
fud, fud-ohwait-not, just shoot me, open source