Re multitasking.

I disagree. There can be no compromise. Put tasks to sleep, lower their priority, make them release RAM etc., but moving away from true multitasking to some form of task switching or Appletasking (no, I am not being facetious, thank the visionary and charismatic Mr Jobs for that - he started the singlatasking on powerful platforms with NeXT, then original Apple OS (not true multitasking), finally letting go of that nightmare with OS X, only to go back to it with iPhone/iPad...and it is plain wrong).

Putting system wide constraints on what you can and cannot run at the same time is loathsome - and it is already done very well now on that other platform.

Getting back to N900 disappointments, well I for one cannot see much wrong with it the way I use it. I truly do see it as a PC. I make and receive perhaps 2-3 calls per day, but literally live online. N900 allows me to get away from my office and building and still maintain contact and productivity.

My three year old Nokia E65 is a much better phone than the N900, but it is also a much better phone than any of the modern touch screen superphones, so that point is moot. The best phone is still just a simple phone.

So again for the n+1 time, there are people that are rational and reasonable and not overly geeky/linux loving that genuinely like the N900. I personally think the N900 is great - with the few caveats like the bluetooth thing and lack of Ovi suite support - these two points REALLY p***s me off.

...and there are people that genuinely do not like or actively dislike the N900.

These are the facts and I am with the perceived "zealots" on this point; there really isn't much need to keep going in the same circle. There is a nice photo of a very dead horse sometimes used on another forum to describe the futility of such threads as this one.

V.

Banned | Posts: 388 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Mar 2010
Originally Posted by vmajor View Post
Yes, many basic things do not work and I am as eager as anyone to have them enabled or fixed, but right now, for me, there is simply nothing better than my N900.

V.
I totally agree. N900 should be awarded as the king of all gadgets. I say to myself with N900 sky is the only limit...

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 135 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cambridgeshire, UK
Originally Posted by paulkoan View Post
Sometimes I doubt your commitment to sparkle-motion.

Seriously, it amazes me how there are *still* people who purchased the n900 without doing any research about it and then moan about how they aren't the target audience.

The set of these people no doubt overlaps strongly the set of people chomping at the bit for PR1.2 as if it will suddenly turn the n900 into the iphone they should have gotten in the first place. It won't. It is just a firmware update. It will contain nothing that dramatically alters the way you use the n900.

To everyone: if you made a bad purchasing decision buying the n900, and wish to blame someone, there is probably a mirror in your bathroom. Confine your rants to there and away from the rest of us who knew what we were getting into and are satisfied with the outcome because we did the five minutes of research necessary.
You have to realise that this phone has been marketed as the next new smart phone in some places, for my example by Carphone Warehouse in the UK. They are the leading retailer of mobile phones here in the UK and having gone in personally a while back pretending to be a layperson, there was never any mention of it being a "Linux users phone" or however you wish to put that.

They certainly highlighted many of the N900's brilliant qualities and strengths to me and fair play, they knew about this stuff and knew it well. What I had said was "I am an N95 user at present and a friend mentioned the N900 would be a perfect upgrade for me". The phone was touted to me as a direct replacement for my N95, even over others like the N97 which would be more familiar and straight forward to a current Symbian user.

It is so highly unfair to say people are just whining because they didn't do research on the product... going in and having a 20 minute conversation about pretty much only the N900, with a trained staff member in a mobile store, is far from unresearched for a lay-user (which I'm obviously not).

I think Nokia has been in the game long enough to know what to do. None of us are in the power boardrooms of Nokia, They have embraced the open concept and the community has responded, being able to configure a device for your own personal use is the future.

Thanks Nokia!

If people want to buy a phone from the worlds largest phone company that is known for little other than making phones (and boots), check it out under the "all phones" page on the phone company's web pages, and read about it under the headline "The Nokia N900 Mobile Phone"... If they go to a phone shop, and the phone salesman says it's the best phone since graham bell, they pay it, charge it, put their phone sim card in it, start phoning people with it, and then finds that it's phone functionality is not up to par with the average phone...

If they come here, disappointed, and are met by angry people who keeps messing the mantra "IT'S NOT A PHONE, IT'S A TABLET GOD DAMNED IT; GRRR"...

I know perfectly well which of these two people are wrong and which one had realistic if mistaken expectations.

Last edited by volt; 2010-04-23 at 15:00.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by edanto View Post
There is an Evernote App adverstised on the Nokia site for the N900 that doesn't exist.
Hopefully you did Power Search for Evernote information. I just did and found quite a bit. I have two items that help me with Evernote on my N900. Here are words that appear in the messages I found after doing a Power Search with just the word Evernote in it. I suggest you try the same search.

Install the Evernote App
Go to the Settings Applet for your N900 (like Control Panel for Windoze PC's)
Access Sharing Accounts in the 'Connectivity' section
Click the 'New' button, select 'Evernote' as the Sharing Account type, then enter your Evernote site credentials
Take a photo with the N900.
When the sharing icon appears on-screen (three circles connected in an open triangle), press it and select Evernote as the Sharing Account by which you wish to share the photo
Enter tags, title, description, etc as you wish
Click 'Done'

Your photo will appear in your Evernote account online momentarily.

Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
Okay, so, this is getting ridiculous.
Seriously.
I'm okay with one or two threads about this, but it is simly ridiculous that every noob (denoted by some as a 'troll') has his own whining thread in this forum.

We should organize an event here on the forums.
All the people who whine about the N900 should sell their N900s to people who don't have the device but are interested in it.
And to those people who want to take part in the community, but they can't afford to buy a new one, this would be a great opportunity.

And then, all the whiners could buy an iPhone (or HTC, whatever), and go off to Apple's and HTC's forums to whine about their devices.

This would reduce the amount of work for moderators, the server bandwith costs, and it would be also great to find actually meaningful threads in the "Active Topics" section.

And also, we would get new people who would actually contribute to the community, not just whine here about the same over and again.
(I'm beginning to think that they are employees of a competitor company, and are PAID for this.)
easy there hotshot..u definately can express your opinion, but this tone really isnt the right one, if you cant defend your point then stay away from this thread. Its been clearly mentioned in the previous lines that you should not offend ppl. Read it again with yorur eye wide open ppl are expressing their opinions but they r not attacking no one.
So once again if you cant contribute to the solutions thats ok not every one is capable of taking pressure but then dont be a part of the problem as well. Cus what you just printed up there didnt made a single bit of a difference to this thread its just shows ingnorance and dude ignorance is prejudice. So back off. Please and Thanks.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
The question is, why didn't it sell?
Actually it did. Hutchison entered the market here 2003 with its whole marketing built around video calls. That's the point I was trying to make: Video calls started in 2003 and have been around ever since. They're not the new thing to come. If Apple really succeds in maing people believe this, it's the best example of their Reality Distortion Field that we could ever get.

Posts: 249 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ International
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Right now I'd agree with you, but let's take a longer view. As these countries "tech up"( and yeah I admit the charge of parochialism here but I don't know another way to phrase it), and access to charging points away from urban centres becomes more readily available, the need for a phone which lasts a week becomes less important. The features that a smartphone provides will become more important.
Ummm....No. If you have ever lived in Africa, for example - and i was bred, born and raised there, you will quickly realised that 'tech up' is something of a pipe dream. That is why iPhone is so small in Africa and only seen as a wealth symbol.

iPhone is tied to the Mac and dependant for app downloading, etc. A computer is still seen as a scarce luxury item for the vast majority and smartphones, yes, the N900 included are also dependant to some extent on computers and decent, available wifi/internet access which a lot of Africa does not have. What is needed, is a phone which never lets a signal go (Nokia) and is reliable, robust and functional (Nokia sounds about right for these requirements )

What Africa does have is an amazing infrastructure of cellphone coverage, to the point that dropped calls is unknown. I know, when i went to the States I saw T-Mobile and friends advertise who had the least dropped calls, i though this was a joke. So what, in my example, Africans need are good, solid cellphones, very much what Nokia produces and from this foundation Africans are not 'teching up' but using that availble technology to overcome various infra-structure and geographic challenges. an example is cellphone banking...Africa is a lot more advanced in this area than other places.

Steve Jobs i think, has realised this, becuase an iPhone without apps is what? and that is one of the reasons why they have targeted the US in such a big way, while other, lesser developed parts of the world are welcoming functionality and reliability in terms of the Nokia.

Jumbled thoughts i know...

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Yorkshire, UK
Originally Posted by Enyibinakata View Post
I gues it depends on your priorities. For me the speaker, sound quality, camera, real keyboard and TV-OUT are essential. I really want an HTC Desire but it does not meet the mark - mono speaker, poor camera and no TV-OUT. I dont get the apps thing, the N900s browser does it for me. Which app is really 'to die for' ? and what exactly do you need 7 screens for ?. Nokia is not firing on all cylinders but yet they are still far and away the most prevalent and make the best hardware and own the most advanced OS in Maemo. Just wait until the giant wakes up!.
"Apps to die for" was merely the fact there is some apps to get that I like.

7 screens is over kill I agree but I have filled my four screens with things like one page is short cut keys to contacts. Using the little picture widget of that contact, I have eight on one screen. One page is web short cuts to quickly jump to work related websites. So I fill my screen realestate very quickly. (I don't like menus because I am on the move and tend to jump a lot back and forth.)

Stereo is good on the N900 but I wear headphones, as long as the headphone jack is stereo, mono is fine for just playing an alert to tell me someone is calling. I don't really need a stereo ring tone.

When nokia wakes up I look forward to what it can do, but I will probably have moved back to HTC by then. They need to up their game now, while the likes of HTC are gearing up from just a phone maker, and the likes of Android are still in their second edition. When it makes it to Version three and Apple are version 4, Meego will be version 1, little following because maemo was un supported. Too little too late perhaps? Note I didn't mention that the other big player MS have yet to release their 7 series. Mainly because I think it will pan big time, the list of things missing is shocking and it is just copying Apple. But there is the core of people that will follow MS lead and that might well be a big %.

Tags
fud, fud-ohwait-not, just shoot me, open source