Active Topics

Originally Posted by thp View Post
Some Nokia Guy (?) at the Maemo Summit '09 explicitly said during one talk that locking the processor at its maximum (non-overclocked) speed will quickly kill it (I don't have the source here to quote from, unfortunately). Spend more time making your apps more efficient and less time overclocking the CPU (or thinking of locking the frequency, for that matter)
How I understand it is that the voltage is the main factor in reducing CPU life so if, as in this case, you use a lower voltage (for example the same voltage used for 250mhz in stock kernel) for 500mhz in this modified kernel there should not be problems.

Also this is not overclocking as the maximum CPU frequency remains at 600mhz.

Posts: 208 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ saint petersburg, fl
can you run as long as you can walk before you get too tired to go any further?

Higher speeds = more stress on the processor

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Originally Posted by baron von bubba View Post
explain further please?
what are you basing this claim on?
A Nokia engineer who knows way more than you do, or any other user who states overclocking is safe.

afak many ppl are now clocking the device, some to stooopid levels, i know it's yet early days but are you not a little surprised even at these silly 850+ levels there have been no failures?
Anything above 600 is stupid, otherwise TI would've stated that, and obviously, since TI made these chips they know what they're talking about.

locking the processor @ 600...... so not good even at default settings to use the device for long periods with the processor maxed out??
so where do you draw the line? don't use the device at all for fear of shortening its life span somewhat??
No, the device doesn't stay at 600 all the time, when it's under load, it maxes out, when it finishes doing something, it goes back to 250 (125 wasn't set as a minimum since it doesn't really help with battery power and actually causes the device to become unstable).

i know my phone battery when idling is now stupidly loooong lasting, on default is was terrible....so more power was being used @ default idle, would this not be worse for the device also?
125, as I said above, wasn't disabled because Nokia want to make your battery last less, it was done for a reason.

Undervolting doesn't help in not frying the device.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
But this same Nokia Guy also said that since 600MHz is dangerous, the device includes safeguards to prevent it from continuously running at 600MHz. This turned out to be false, as you can easily test by running
while true ; do true ; done in a console. So take any statements from that presentation with a grain of salt.

BTW, TI says that the OMAP should run for 50000 hours (that is more than 5 years) continuously at 600MHz.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

Originally Posted by maemusr View Post
I have the 125-900 kernel and with this design it is fast on hungry apps but those that require on and off load it is choppy. Do you guys know of any apps with a small footprint that would keep the processor going at 500 and back down when not necessary so thinking that I would get rid of the choppyness in reaction time.
thanks
Have you tried tweaking the CPU governor? Tweaking this works for the applications I have on my N900. I have used this for years on Debian based HTPCs to reduce power and heat also with pretty good results. There is a better description for the N900 on the wiki then I could give.
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=170
FWIW I am running 250 - 900MHz.
Take care.

Originally Posted by MohammadAG View Post
A Nokia engineer who knows way more than you do, or any other user who states overclocking is safe.

Anything above 600 is stupid, otherwise TI would've stated that, and obviously, since TI made these chips they know what they're talking about.

No, the device doesn't stay at 600 all the time, when it's under load, it maxes out, when it finishes doing something, it goes back to 250 (125 wasn't set as a minimum since it doesn't really help with battery power and actually causes the device to become unstable).

125, as I said above, wasn't disabled because Nokia want to make your battery last less, it was done for a reason.

Undervolting doesn't help in not frying the device.
the same nokia engineer would im sure say running @ max for long periods with default would be bad for the device.
so dont play games or leave the phone ringing for long periods of time kids.....

what would the manufacturer of a car recommend you to and say it is safe to drive over the speed limit? blah blah, this is a stupid point!

the phone was rushed and barely finished at release? and you are going to say that nokia got everything totally correct and right at release?

why would it be stupid to clock over 600 espessially considering the voltage is lower than the upper stock freq settings???
whats worse for life of a chip? higher voltage or higher freqs?
or as bad as each other?

if the phone is a HUGE amount faster and more responsive but lasts half its life, it'll still last twice as long as i will own it!

so i'd be stupid not to clock it in my opinion!

i guess its been stupid of me to but a cheaper processor for my pc and clock it to levels of a chip twice the price for the last 12 years.
hmmm, and how many have died?

don't take the limiters off of yer 50cc scooters.
don't chip/map your diesels.
the manufactures ALWAYS say the changing anything from their config is bad..............

but hey you have your opinion and you seem stuck in that, me, i'll take the red pill.

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
the same nokia engineer would im sure say running @ max for long periods with default would be bad for the device.
so dont play games or leave the phone ringing for long periods of time kids.....

Invalid points, the owner of this thread wants to lock it @ 600, you completely went off topic

what would the manufacturer of a car recommend you to and say it is safe to drive over the speed limit? blah blah, this is a stupid point!

Put on a seat belt, so you don't actually sue them when you have an accident, which you would do.

the phone was rushed and barely finished at release? and you are going to say that nokia got everything totally correct and right at release?

That was the N97, not the N900, get your facts right

why would it be stupid to clock over 600 espessially considering the voltage is lower than the upper stock freq settings???
whats worse for life of a chip? higher voltage or higher freqs?
or as bad as each other?

Because TI (Texas Instruments, if you can't google) actually did tests, and they recommended that the device gets clocked at 600 max, the new CPUs can be clocked to 720. Now, here's the small difference, TI is full of engineers, tmo otoh, is filled with people who'd deem something as safe since it worked for a day. "Oh yeah, 825 is a safe bet, you know, cause no phones have been fried till now, and it's not much of an increase" (it's a 37.5% increase btw)

if the phone is a HUGE amount faster and more responsive but lasts half its life, it'll still last twice as long as i will own it!

Fry you N900, no one gives a **** if you chose your own decision...

so i'd be stupid not to clock it in my opinion!

... but don't spread BS facts, saying it's Nokia's decision to underclock it, which, you are doing right now.

i guess its been stupid of me to but a cheaper processor for my pc and clock it to levels of a chip twice the price for the last 12 years.
hmmm, and how many have died?

Maybe because PC CPUs are actually underclocked? Again, get your facts right!

don't take the limiters off of yer 50cc scooters.
don't chip/map your diesels.
the manufactures ALWAYS say the changing anything from their config is bad..............

And you're saying it.s good, which it isn't

but hey you have your opinion and you seem stuck in that, me, i'll take the red pill.

Take it on your own, don't tell people it's safe.
Dude, please.
Just do all of us who think a favor, and stfu.

Oh and one more thing, post edited with my thoughts in bold, and voltage doesn't matter, if you hit 800 you hit 800, it doesn't matter what voltage it's at.

Last edited by MohammadAG; 2010-04-25 at 19:13.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MohammadAG View Post
Dude, please.
Just do all of us who think a favor, and stfu.

Oh and one more thing, post edited with my thoughts in bold, and voltage doesn't matter, if you hit 800 you hit 800, it doesn't matter what voltage it's at.
Some devices uses the same cpu ARM Cortex-A8 the n900 has, overclocked at 800mhz by default, so you'd better stfu and do some more research

The Following User Says Thank You to gianni_mar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
there are couple things:

don't know how you are measuring constant 600mhz frequencies. I remember one test case that didn't prove anything. measuring interval 1 second, processor does 600M calculations per second with max rate so what is the frequency 599999999/600000000ths of a second? the measurement of frequency doesn't last many cycles, correct me if I am wrong.

and no one of you probably have know-how about designing circuitry, heat disspatch etc with mobile devices. I am machine engineer and I know enough from thermal dynamics that plastic isn't the best material if you have heat you need to loose... and n900 probably hasn't been designed overclocking in mind: there is no point creating reserves for cooling with mobile devices. it costs, increases device size, ....

and how long have the overclocks been out? If I remember correctly, less than 900.hours since first announced method. So there is no real data about how well n900 lasts when overclocked. and there is no way counterarguing with reports that device runs well overclocked and no failures for now. when you have thousands of hours overclocked, we can get back to it. so it takes atleast a month if someone has used and will use his device 24/7.....

e: and please keep in mind that nokia has to design devices to last 2 years minimum with any usecase (except exceptions mentioned in warranty terms)
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Last edited by ossipena; 2010-04-25 at 19:31.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by gianni_mar View Post
Some devices uses the same cpu ARM Cortex-A8 the n900 has, overclocked at 800mhz by default, so you'd better stfu and do some more research
same patch? so the 4 letters are now thrown back to you....
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post: