Closed Thread
Originally Posted by jonan View Post
Hoping this happens soon! While Maps is lacking features the offline maps are great and I would be happy if it simply showed the correct location. But it doesn't, the GPS location is hundreds of meters off in Hong Kong, China, and Macau. From what I gather its fine for other countries.

Maybe related to China's gps/mapping regulations that supposedly require digital maps to include offsets that are then corrected by approved devices. But Hong Kong should not be included in this nonsense. Could never get a straight answer out of any map providers concerning this, though they will gladly sell you unusable maps.

-Jonan
I absolutely agree. The maps and gps on my good ol' N82 work just fine. I hope Nokia's Maemo team is talking to their S60 counterparts to sort things out.
It's just ironic that even Google, who doesn't want to do business in China anymore, got the Chinese satellite images mapped correctly.
Here are two bug reports you should vote for if you care about Ovi maps in China:
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=9203
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=9950

Originally Posted by kwurk View Post
Sweet, this will give Chinese simplified and traditional handwriting recognition. Is this free for non Hong Kong N900 users? Anyone installed it yet?
I tried, it didn't work when I click on the link to install(file missing). It looks like it's just a webpage for the future use.

Interestingly, the link is in extra-devel
http://repository.maemo.org/extras-d...e-pack.install

And they clearly said the program will check IMEI code, and only work for phones sold in China, Hongkong, Macao and Taiwan. (I'm in the US.)

Will try it again after the hongkong release.

The Following User Says Thank You to kangyu29 For This Useful Post:
i wonder , is there any bug fixes and changes except announced fixes ( http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo_5/PR1.2).

like gapless playback .

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 383 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by jonan View Post
Cool pictures. The video out really is great for selling this thing
Haven't had a chance to go back yet, maybe tonight. Were you able
to see if Skype Video actually works ?

-Jonan
I'm invited to go to the launch event and the bloggers' gathering thereafter. I will let you guys know how's Skype video going if I have chance to test this out.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to amandalam For This Useful Post:
Note to self: must find a way to change IMEI code so i can install this program.

Originally Posted by kwurk View Post
Note to self: must find a way to change IMEI code so i can install this program.
Note to self: Must convince PenPower to sell this program for a nominal sum so I can install this program as a tech demo for my parents!

Posts: 346 | Thanked: 139 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Houston Texas
Is it Thursday in Hong Kong yet?

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 383 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by joshv06 View Post
Is it Thursday in Hong Kong yet?
Yes, it's Thursday midnight 3:18am in HK now. :P

Posts: 346 | Thanked: 139 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Houston Texas
Lol if I was there, and I didn't have an N900, I'd be waiting in line right now.

Originally Posted by cheungs View Post
The maps and gps on my good ol' N82 work just fine. I hope Nokia's Maemo team is talking to their S60 counterparts to sort things out.
There probably won't be any seperate Symbian and seperate Noka Maemo/Meego Ovi Maps anymore once the QT compatibility is established across the platforms.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread