Active Topics

All right, have to chime in. I have been a Maemo user since the first release of the 770. Used to be on the boards here years ago, alot, but lost my username and password during a transition period. I had a G1, and a Mytouch as well, both Android devices. Now, I have played with my buddy's Nexus 1 with Tmo 3g, and it is pretty nice. I actively went back to Maemo 5/N900 after Android. I found more freedom with the N900, the linux box is so robust, and the ability to surf the web like I am on a laptop is second to none on any mobile OS.

I used so many apps on android. They were great, but they distracted the crap out of me. Stocks were available on N900, but did I really need that wootoff app and ebay app? No. And in my profession, you should never be distracted. Yes, Android's google maps are more robust than Maemo's ovi, but there are pros and cons to both devices. The N900 is a man's phone. When I pull this sucker out, I still marvel that I have a linux pc with a phone stack, and I can terminal whatever I want. I rooted and terminaled both my Android phones, but Java was so limiting.

Get Android if you want all the apps in the world, and you have more free time to play with them. They are nice toys. And very convenient in some ways, and distractingly inconvenient in others.

Get the N900 if you want the internet tablet/linux pc that gets you through the day, lets you get on that airline site and make an emergency change (which I did the other day, and could never do on flash-lite webkit browsers.) The N900 has just begun to show its full potential.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maemomd For This Useful Post:
just got a nexus one for free from my girlfriends mom, she thought i was interested in them so it showed up in the mail haha. i love my n900 as much as the next devoted forum member but i've been running the nexus with the sense ui and its a beautiful experience. facebook, news, mail, messages and all other widgets are great, also i forgot how comfortable portrait mode was. sadly im not getting 3g service from tmobile on it but i never had 3g on my n900 unless my home internet went out because the battery gets destroyed on 3g. the slim factor is nice in slimmer jeans. using the n900 as a backup until more updates come in.

The Following User Says Thank You to piascyk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 304 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ irvine
any video chat or fm transmitter on that thing . i use those two things alot

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danx For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Maemomd View Post
...I found more freedom with the N900, the linux box is so robust, and the ability to surf the web like I am on a laptop is second to none on any mobile OS.

...The N900 is a man's phone. When I pull this sucker out, I still marvel that I have a linux pc with a phone stack, and I can terminal whatever I want.

...Get the N900 if you want the internet tablet/linux pc that gets you through the day, lets you get on that airline site and make an emergency change (which I did the other day, and could never do on flash-lite webkit browsers.) The N900 has just begun to show its full potential.
Same reasons I have for buying N900

A full GNU/Linux pc with a phone stack in my pocket

My 2 cents:

whether it is HTC, Nokia, Apple, Samsung, LG etc, one needs to know the advantages and disadvantages of the device before one owns it.. so that one can set the right expectation for that device..

for example, nokia n900.. as a proud owner of n900, i always show-off to my friends on the advantages of n900.. but, when they say they want to buy it, i told them that n900 is not a phone for everybody.. first, u need to understand that it is an internet tablet with phone capabilities... then u need to know what are the limitations of n900, then make assessment whether can u live with the limitations of n900.. if can't, then definitely not for u.. as simple as that..

at first, i was considering to buy an iPhone 3GS.. but i can't live without multitasking capability, no flash support on the browser and can only install applications from the store (unless u jailbreak the firmware).. so i decided it's not for me..

i knew the limitations or the disadvantages of n900.. lack of applications, lack of basic phone features (such as group contact etc) but since these limitations are not because of the hardware, it can be fixed in the next firmware update.. and i am willing to grow with n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to gjoe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Bailing from Tmo tomorrow and getting an Incredible. Cheesey name, but the device rocks. Keeping my N900, since it's my media player, micro netbook and portable MAME machine, now that Game Gripper is coming for N900

N900 will also be my phone when going to England, since CDMA devices do not work there. Nice back-up phone to have

added:

Bailing from Tmo because coverage sux in KY and Verizon is 3g in places I have no phone service with Tmo.

Last edited by Rushmore; 2010-04-29 at 03:49.

I thought you had the Droid Rushmore?

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I thought you had the Droid Rushmore?
Had to return it since Tmo wanted to charge me $400 in conract fees end of last year. I am actually going to test Droid and Incredible, like I did the N900 and G1, since there are reports the Inc's radios may be weaker than Droid. G1 kicked the N900's butt last year and I tested three N900's to confirm this. I even took pictures of all three and attached it, so people would not think I was fibbing.

Preordered an Incredible from Best Buy.

Ah, I got to play with my best friend's Droid (of course he customized it with the best ROMs out there ). I can see the appeal for those who want a smartphone. Though the keyboard itself reminded me of the n810's (which I didn't like as much).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
Is there any better 3G smart phone that works with T-mobile US? The only thing that I can think of now is the Nexus One. The Desire does not pickup T-mobile 3G. The Incredible certainly does not work with GSM. Any suggestions out there?