Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Originally Posted by LowDogg View Post
I broke mine to day :/
Lets hope it goes warranty... and they don't format it.
Serial
xxxxxx xx 125... x
Wow, really getting nervous about using the umbilical cord. How long have you had your N900? I have filed down USB and Charger plugs..hope that helps but who knows.
Doc

I Got it before first this year patch
bought ~11.1.2010 so i think it is 1.2009.42.11?

Every day charged and used mass storage mode...

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I think that it's possible to reflash and everything without even using the USB port ever, right? I don't have a USB problem but this question comes up so frequently that I want to have the right answer in mind. I know it's possible to flash a kernel on your N900 because I've done it while overclocking (see Overclocking section of Wiki), so I would think you could do the whole thing.

If so, where are the best instructions for doing so, for me to refer people to?

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by Wichall View Post
Here's my latest news:

I called Nokia yesterday again (Tuesday) after receiving no call back from Monday's call. The agent seemed to find my case and details and promised me a call back later that day after being escalated once again to the senior service department....Nothing happened.

So I called Nokia today (Wednesday) and spoke to another agent. After half explaining my case and asking his supervisor, he told me I had to be put through to the N900 department. So I spoke to another agent, and after much searching her database...my case appeared to have been lost. Great.

So I started over from the beginning and once I'd explained everything to her, she told me I'd have to wait another 48 hours after my case was escalated once again to the senior service department.

I lost it a bit here and told her that this is getting ridiculous, informed her of my discussions with Consumer Direct/Trading Standards and so she went off and spoke to her supervisor. She came back telling me that she's sorry for all the trouble and that later today I'd be receiving a call from the Supervisor.

Having now spoken to the supervisor, he's personally escalated my case to this service department everyone speaks of, and called me twice, which is nice, it shows that he's working on it.

I've now been promised a call back either later today or definitely tomorrow from the service department, and the supervisor told me they'd either repair or replace my phone.

So I'm hoping that this means everything is fine and my phone is going to be repaired, but I'm not convinced that I won't have to battle some more. So I haven't yet closed my case with Trading Standards...

Hope no one else has to go through all of this for Nokia's own design flaw.
This is so so sad to read and my heart goes out to you, i really do hope your re-united very soon with a suitable replacement/repair that does not go wrong in the same way !
GOOD LUCK.

damn, couple weeks ago i installed ZAGG Invisible shield and now
if they replace my n900 i lost 20€

one good thing is about replacing my phone, it got one big
scratch before Shield...

Just installed Nokia PC Suite on PC. I was able to connect N900 with the PC by Bluetooth and hence connect PC Suite to N900 by way of Bluetooth. Successfully did synchronization using Bluetooth so hopefully will be using micro usb port for charging only. I am waiting for desktop charger and extra battery. I might start just swapping batteries daily even though taking back off irritating but less than losing usb port. I sincerely feel for all that have suffered this failure that should not have happened this prematurely.
Doc

The Following User Says Thank You to DoctorA For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by DoctorA View Post
Just installed Nokia PC Suite on PC. I was able to connect N900 with the PC by Bluetooth and hence connect PC Suite to N900 by way of Bluetooth. Successfully did synchronization using Bluetooth so hopefully will be using micro usb port for charging only. I am waiting for desktop charger and extra battery. I might start just swapping batteries daily even though taking back off irritating but less than losing usb port. I sincerely feel for all that have suffered this failure that should not have happened this prematurely.
Doc
i've been doing the same.

I have an "external wall charger" and 2 batteries. i only use the usb port for re-flashing by flasher 3.5.

I transfer files via bluetooth or, by using a "T-Flash"

Wow all that? That would be way too inconvenient for me to justify owning the phone. All I did was file my various chargers and usb cables and they go in smooth and easy. I am not worried about this issue happening to my phone. If it does, well time to get a different phone.

Unfortunately not all of us can afford a new £500 phone every 6 months

The Following User Says Thank You to Wichall For This Useful Post:
Posts: 86 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ That beer and prezels country in Europe -_-
Originally Posted by LowDogg View Post
damn, couple weeks ago i installed ZAGG Invisible shield and now
if they replace my n900 i lost 20€

one good thing is about replacing my phone, it got one big
scratch before Shield...
For anyone else who wants to send their phone to service. Peel the inv.Shield off, register with the serial number you've got with the shield (credit card like format), register and contact them. They will send you an replacement shield. That's part of their guarantee. At least the last time I've checked. You may have to pay the fee for mailing the old shield to them. But rather spend some cents on mail than 20 bucks for a new one.
That was a buying reason for me.

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty