Active Topics

I'm a tad bit frustrated with the steps I need to go through before I get to the Phone app. Maybe I've missed a few things, but here's what I know, and doing at the moment:
1. If I'm on any of the 4 views on the desktop, I can use the hardware keyboard to start typing letters to get to the contact person, or start typing numbers of the number I want to dial.
2. If I'm at the desktop view with the Phone shortcut, I can use the short cut.
3. I can't seem to add multiple Phone shortcut (one on each view)...meaning I have to switch to the correct view with the Phone shortcut, or use the hardware keyboard...if I'm already at the desktop.
4. If I'm not at the desktop view, I need to switch back to the task switcher screen (via top left corner icon, or Ctrl-backspace key combo), then get back to the desktop, then start typing contact name (hardware key), number (hardware key), or get to the correct desktop view with the Phone shortcut.

Here's what I don't know and would like to ask about:
1. What's the fastest way to get to the Desktop (key combos?)?
2. How to add multiple shortcut of the same app (Phone, in this case) to the desktop views?
3. Anyway to get to the Phone app with minimal interaction from any state (Desktops, task switcher, inside other apps...etc)?

The Following User Says Thank You to chatbox For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
With schortcutd you can bind phone apps launch to (half)shutter press.

I can answer two of your questions:

1. Ctrl-Backspace sends you to the task selector. After some time it becomes second nature to press this key combination and then click on the background to go to the desktop.

3. Go to the phone app, then from the menu bar (top of screen, click where it says "Phone") choose "Turning control" and make sure "Launch by turning" is selected. If you're on the desktop, then turning the N900 upright (like a normal phone) will now activate the phone app.

The Following User Says Thank You to convulted For This Useful Post:
it took me a while to figure this out a quick way hit the power button on the top of your phone menu slides down hit phone it opens phone app quickest route

The Following User Says Thank You to superg05 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
he he thanks chatbox, i didnt even know that if i open kbd and type a contacts name that it would launch that contact!
this phone surprises me everyday!

Thank you so much!!! Love this forum, so resourceful.

Leetut, yeah, I love the phone...it seems like there's no limit to it.

As superg05 said, shortly hit the power button,and a very neat little menu pops down. One moreclick and you have the phone app. The part that I like the most is switching between normal and offline modus. It is like "airplane modus" on other handys. It is the quickest way to turn off the phone and still be able to use the "computer".

man these were great tips... this was one of the things I found most annoying about the n900

The Following User Says Thank You to cb00 For This Useful Post: