Active Topics

Why not just use Yahoo! calendar and Yahoo email? It's all web based so you can access the same database whether on your PC or using your 770. That's what I do. I paid the small yearly fee so there is no advertising in my email or calendar views at all.

Mind you, I am using the Yahoo! email beta which is about 100 times better than the regular Yahoo! email.

I hope this product does well, though, some people are tied to Outlook, and the more apps for the 770 the better.

Last edited by eye.surgeon; 2006-01-06 at 23:55.

Originally Posted by eye.surgeon
Mind you, I am using the Yahoo! email beta which is about 100 times better than the regular Yahoo! email.
Is that AJAX or what? Runs fine in Opera?

edited to add:

Just caught up. I see someone else blew up GPE-Cal by trying an alarm too. Ah, the 1.00 adventure continues!

Last edited by Mike Cane; 2006-01-07 at 00:26.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I seem to remember the GPE PIM site saying that alarm functionality wasn't working yet. *shrug*

DejaPIM is sweet. I think this is the first 770 specific app I've seen, and it hasn't misbehaved or crashed once. I think there's a high honus on porting apps and leaving them unfinished. (Ever poke around the cell properties menu in Gnumeric, or checked out connection properties in GAIM?)

I like having all my PIM apps under one common executable given that their functionality is simple (and my Extras menu is going to need an Extras menu of it's own soon). Sure some functionality is missing, but there's loads already included and I'm sure as it grows it will only get better.

Also it was satisfying uninstalling GPE-Calendar and it's 8 billion deps.

While it's nice that DejaPIM is stable, it really is missing some necessary functionality. It is only a beta, though, and fortunately, it looks like some of that needed functionality is on the way:

Future Modifications

We have worked hard to bring this product to market in a short time. We are continuing to work to complete the product to our normal quality standards. Here is a quick list of our prioritized updates:

* Improve web connection states on both handheld and PC to quietly handle disconnect and partially connected states.
* French, Spanish, German support throughout.
* Add graphical day view and week view to calendar.
* Add support for changing recurring patterns in calendar (they are currently displayed, but the edit screen does not show those fields to edit).

If you have another suggestion or priority, please email support@companionlink.com with “suggestion 770” in the title.
So, graphical calendar views are coming, and support for recurring meetings will be improved.

I'm going to email them a few more suggestions/questions - perhaps if enough of us suggest something, they will actually listen?

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
The suggestion I just sent:
SUBJ: Suggestion 770

I have a good suggestion for the Nokia 770 platform.

Release it into an "open beta" until the feature set is ironed out. Do not limit the trial to 15 days.
Once the full feature set is released, announce it and post the upgrade. After that, give 7 days for major bugs to be detected. If there are none and the release is "finalized" and then start the 15 day free clock.

Also, offer a lifetime subscription or "personal server" option where people can buy "once." $10/mo over a short period of time is the difference between a cheap phone and a Smartphone that synchronizes with Outlook locally without subscription fees.

Thanks!
---Daniel G.
770 blog: http://thoughtfix.blogspot.com

I guess the contacts section is gonna have competition soon, as when the VOIP apps are included there will be a contacts app to manage your numbers. I just hope its upto the job.

When I attempted to download DejaPIM, I got a message that the software could harm the tablet permanently (or something along that line). Is this just a standard safety message or was I about to screw up the 770? I aborted the download until I hear from you guys.

Bob in Houston

Originally Posted by Travlr45
When I attempted to download DejaPIM, I got a message that the software could harm the tablet permanently (or something along that line).
Every .deb package does this. It's Nokia's standard warning.
I think it should be removed.

Oh - I installed DejaPIM tonight. I'll give it a week of constant use and see how I like it.

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Finland
I tried dejapim. Was not able to get pim to show my test appointments. Does one have to sync with pc to be able to use deja locally?
I flashed again with latest firmware, did not restore settings, installed dejapim again, no difference. No appointments nor contact information in the list.
My 770 is in maintenance mode. Had no luck (prior to reflashing) with gpe-suite eather