Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
hello meamo community does a special task manager exists that show me every runnung program on my n900 and allows me to close it?like the task manager on windows.the problem is that when im fresh starting my phone its really fast but when its 2-3 weeks permanently on it goes really slow.i think its because many programs run in the background.thanks fpr help.and excuse my crap english

you can try the program htop ... just go on the terminal, and type in:

sudo apt-get install htop

and then run the program by hitting in htop

The Following User Says Thank You to adalal For This Useful Post:
dont working when i write it there comes passwort:but i dont can type somethink

sudo gainroot
apt-get install htop

still not working i typed it in and there comes:could not open lock file........13 permission denied and unable to lock the administration directory are you root.
you must know im working first time with linux and i dont know how to use the terminal.but thanks for the very fast answers this comunnity is great!!!

Whats wrong with the included top command?

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Open http://repository.maemo.org/extras/d...l/htop.install with the browser
thank you is a little bit complicated but works well.hmm i have the n900 one month and i have already 150 tasks.every **** that im downloading eats my memory and makes my n900 slower right?

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by atilla View Post
thank you is a little bit complicated but works well.hmm i have the n900 one month and i have already 150 tasks.every **** that im downloading eats my memory and makes my n900 slower right?
Not quite, no. Everything that's actually running will use up some memory - most downloaded apps will only run when you actually launch them though, and will not leave anything running when you close them. Most of those 150 tasks you have currently running are essential system tasks (Linux tends to have more system tasks than Windows does - they're generally smaller and more task-specific whereas Windows tends to lump a lot of jobs onto a single large program).

As for your slowdown issue - one suggestion I've read to fix this is to run a backup. This seems to force the memory hogs to either restart or flush out any cached data, speeding things back up again.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
ah ok thanks.dont now that with more tasks onder linux.i will wait with backup and reset till the new firmware comes with better reset im not a pro with linux and dont want to destroy my phone with a flash.p.s thanks for the support.best community ever