Posts: 56 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Malaysia
I like the up and down arrows for scrolling
Firstly: IMHO your post did not add a lot of value to the topic in discussion. The point is not to make a list of what you like in the existing device. The general idea was to collect the possible improvements.

Secondly: I don't think that you would like to use the up and down arrow on my device which has a Scandinavian keyboard and you need to keep the "blue arrow" on the left side of the keyboard pressed in order to use the up and down arrow (which are the same two buttons as the left and right arrow)
Last: N900

Posts: 110 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Brighton
sorry just trying to be helpful and had no idea you had a scandinavian keyboard

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
1) A small roller ball on the right side center (the same kind that you see on the mac mouse or Black berry phones). Right now the only way to scroll around the pages is by using the finger. Which has two BIG drawbacks. One it makes ugly greasy marks on the surface and second: very difficult to navigate without two hands.
Sounds like a nice idea. I'm not a huge fan of roller balls, but maybe a D-pad.

2) position of the plugs for charging, headphones are totally wrong.
For you and many others, I know - but I'm fairly satisfied. Yes, they're a bit of a pain when using the keyboard, so I'd say leave them on the sides they're at, but move them towards the top (where the volume rocker, power and camera button are).

3) additional 2mm charging plug right on the device so you can use most of the old Nokia chargers instead of this funny adapter. Most of the micro usb chargers for other devices don't work very well with the charging of this device.
Might be nice for some. I personally couldn't care less, though. There's an adapter in the box, I thought it was for older adapters.

4) IR port on the side so that usage as a remote is more intuitive (provided that the portrait mode is fully supported by the new devices right out of box)
With portrait mode in irreco, this would actually be very nice.

5) DON'T ever make this stupid mistake of (mis)using the arrow keys for other characters like in Scandinavian keyboard layout for the HW keyboard. And to complete the whole blunder, put the alternatives for the up/down on the same keys as the left/right! If you want to save some space on the HW keyboard, refer to the point number 1 on my list.
Agreed, missing up/down is plain annoying.

6) Don't use the shining chrome bezel for the camera frame. The light reflects from it making the pictures hazy!
Actually it's not (as stated in other threads) the chrome bezel, that's causing the haze. It's the turquise/blue side of the slidder covering the camera.

7) Remove the camera shutter button and use the scroll ball instead to take the pictures or make an on-screen button to take the picture.
No! I like having a dedicated camera button, making the N900 feel more like a real camera.

8) Bring back the N810 style of kickstand with multiple positions and good sturdy hold on the table instead of current miserable small hook on the camera bezel.
I don't have any experience with the previous NIT's so I couldn't say if the stand was better, but the current one is useless, so I take your word for it. I use fake's stand (search and ye shall find) and it's excellent.

9) Allow activation of the on-screen cursor using some other methods instead of this “hit and miss - drag the finger from left” implementation. From that point onwards, you should be able to control your mouse pointer using either your finger or the scroll ball.
Agreed. The current implementation is close to useless.

10) Wouldn’t mind at all if the speakers were brought back to the front as in N800. Although the looks are not very pretty, the sound quality feels much better since they are pointing at you instead of sides (in most of the cases towards your palms).
It would improve sound quality when holding/using the device, but it would take up precious front real estate better used for a larger display.

Perhaps I won’t go into the most obvious improvements like capacitive screen or multi-touch capabilities etc.
Capacitive: NO! Whenever I use my wife's Samsung Galaxy i7500 Android capacitive touch screen, I'm appalled by the lack of precision and the fact I have to use my big, fat finger instead of the tip of my nail. Contrary to my initial expectations, I find the touch screen on the N900 to nothing short of excellent.
Multi-touch: Yeah, as long as it's resistive.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cthulhu For This Useful Post:
I dont know why so many ppl are complaining about the battery life.
It's really good imho, so much better then on my N95/N95 8gb

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Nah, it's perfect, maybe little thinner then it would be flawless? Oh wait, a sniffer would be cool, it would warn you when you are entering highly polluted area, or it could monitor all the rubbish you have inhaled by the day etc.

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Kettering, Northants
I would have to say:

1) better kickstand (definately a step back from my N810)
2) more responsive e.g. OS refinements or, since this is hardware related, a faster CPU
3) MUCH better battery life (always on Exchange drains the battery so much that I ended up turning this down to 10 mins which slows the phone right down when it checks for new mail/changes)
4) more metal in the device. it has a nice weight and the back feels good even though it's plastic however i can't help but feel that the front of the phone looks and feels cheap

That's about it for the hardware, everything else is just software which is getting slowly fixed (http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...t_applications).

*better battery life
slider to answer call (so you won't accidentally answer the call while pulling it out of your pocket)
*portrait for SMS (like the X6)
enable music playback while calling
better camera quality
multi-touch resistive
a better handling of 3G-3.5G-2G to save battery life that could last you the whole day so you can actually leave the phone connected to the internet 24/24.

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Malaysia
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
Sounds like a nice idea. I'm not a huge fan of roller balls, but maybe a D-pad.
A D-pad could also work fine but it should be the digital one like on the E-72 where you can scroll by just touching the center part of the D-pad (just google the D-pad of E-72, in case you are not sure what I’m talking about).

Actually it's not (as stated in other threads) the chrome bezel, that's causing the haze. It's the turquise/blue side of the slidder covering the camera.
Well, I didn’t know about the final identity of the guilty part that caused the haze. Basically anyone designing the camera should do a little research on the topic before selecting the final design. Most of the quality filters used for the D-SLR camera lenses paint the inside of the filter frame with the matt finish black paint and some of the quality filters even paint the border of the filter glass with black paint to avoid any kind of light reflections! Now don’t get me wrong here. I am not saying that the quality of the optics should be directly comparable with the D-SLR but painting the parts surrounding the lens area with matt finish non-reflective coating shouldn’t cost anything extra! After all they have gone out of their way to put a special blue colored frame on this slide although you have to hold the device very close to notice it

I use fake's stand (search and ye shall find) and it's excellent.
I know about that stand and it’s quite nice. Nevertheless, carrying an additional accessory everywhere just to hold your device in right position is not a very attractive solution IMHO

It would improve sound quality when holding/using the device, but it would take up precious front real estate better used for a larger display.
I guess you are right there. Second best alternative in my opinion is to shift the speakers to the lower edge of the device (the one where there are no buttons and the only a slot for the stylus). They can be in the towards the absolute corners. This has a simple benefit. When your device is resting on the hard surface (using the stand) to watch the video or video call etc. the sound from the speakers will be reflected off the table surface towards you. That is better than what currently happens (shoots to the side of the device).

Capacitive: NO! Whenever I use my wife's Samsung Galaxy i7500 Android capacitive touch screen, I'm appalled by the lack of precision and the fact I have to use my big, fat finger instead of the tip of my nail. Contrary to my initial expectations, I find the touch screen on the N900 to nothing short of excellent.
Multi-touch: Yeah, as long as it's resistive.
Perhaps you are right there. I have just tried the iPhone in a shop once and I found it awkward to type with the fingers. The resistive screen on the N900 is waaaaaaay better than the ones on my N800 and N810 earlier. This one is much more responsive. But multi-touch would be definitely much better than the current gestures like roll the fingers in circles to zoom in and out etc. It works approximately 1 out of 50 times!
Last: N900

Last edited by Hagar; 2010-05-03 at 09:56.

Posts: 216 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by oved_etzot View Post
Hardware button to instantly silence the phone when it starts ringing in the middle of a meeting.
try to turn the phone upside down.

Markus

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8844

missing a scrollbar? Vote here:http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...tic_scrolling/

Add quickbar (ABC, DEF, ...) in the Contact App. Vote here:http://maemo.org/community/brainstor..._address_book/

J2ME and a digital compass