Poll: What is the leaked PR1.2 RC?
Poll Options
What is the leaked PR1.2 RC?

Closed Thread
useless & stupid topic. oh btw i'm italian too

The Following User Says Thank You to Devyn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
@abill_uk

Communities work as long as people are willing to put in their free time. If enough people join forces things get done and things get better with more knowledge collected in wikis and on forums like this one.

Now imagine that said forum is littered with thread after thread of people complaining about problems and wanting help with said problems after installing an unofficial firmware upgrade. This takes a certain toll on the others, who didn't go for the perceived gold at the end of the proverbial rainbow.

If you fsck up and brick your N900, times are hard and you want to get helped but you're still the one who did the flashing. If you then move into the forum and generate work for others that didn't make the same choice, you'll end up with reactions. If you, to make matters worse, think that you in some way deserve this help you're up for a rude awakening.

In this I can understand ossipena's objection to comparing this reflash to installing from Extras-devel/Extras-testing. The Extras repositories represent the joint effort by the community to make the device better and to compare that to using, potentially, stolen code is to make very little of that effort.

With that said, I can agree on the attraction in installing the firmware. As long as the ones making that decision are clear on what they're doing. To argue "But, I didn't know it could ruin my device!" is no argument at all.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Joorin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by Astute View Post
Jakiman. There is a big difference between stealing someone else's yet to be released software and 'open source' as you mentioned earlier.

I'm still not making sense of your post title. 'Are we really to blame'. Any offers on what we're to blame for ??
?? Are you sure you intended for me? I never said n900 was open source as you describe. Also, I didn't start this thread nor did I write that title.Wrong person. =P

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Ossipena it seems like you will never give up with this so i am going to tell you something else here.....
While everyone has been arguing over this update that was released from a China site i have been doing some research into what has been going on and although i am no where near complete i will tell you a few of my findings ok and you i suggest you need to at least read and try to understand what i am saying.
You have no choice but to agree that many people have started to develop software for use on the N900 and implementing them on this very community (i am on about the apps etc etc), ok look at this situation and i will try if you will allow it to actually sink in, explain something very important here, every developer who has written new software and set it up with the communities approval is in fact playing with fire because whilst implementing this software to the exsisting OS they are in fact re-writing some very important parts of the OS in particular the boot sector and THIS is why the N900 has many problems brought on by developers OTHER than Nokia developers because they are actually changing almost every sector and even drivers in the OS of the N900.
THIS is potentially very very dangerous and FAR FAR more dangerous than the update that came from within China.
Many many people are having weird and wonderful problems induced simply by software THEY have installed from the downloads from this community, some of these programmes can and are potentially wiping out the the original functions of the OS of the N900.
This is in fact far more dangerous to the OS than the update from China ever was or will be and the very reason the update has given even more problems after flashing is simply because the OS has been obliterated in some or many cases from previous installs from this very community.
I am in fact looking at the overall developments being implemented to the N900 because everyone has been given the open right to develop for Meamo and i am certain 100% this was and is a huge mistake by Nokia to allow such implementations to be induced onto the OS of the N900.
I really dont think you have enough expertise to understand everything i am saying but i am sure any engineer will so please i ask you to try and relax and allow people to be free in their own opinions and do what they want to do, after all it no way effects you directly in any way or form.

It's a global version (MR0) for most European and Asian variant.

Originally Posted by Joorin View Post
@abill_uk

I can understand ossipena's objection to comparing this reflash to installing from Extras-devel/Extras-testing. The Extras repositories represent the joint effort by the community to make the device better and to compare that to using, potentially, stolen code is to make very little of that effort.

Time will tell whether this helps things get better or not.
You can see it as wasting the communities time (though also flaming others is a waste of time). But you can also see it as an opportunuty for the community to practice their skills and be helpful when the real thing comes around.
We will have experienced people around who took the plunge for us - if you like it or not.

Look at the interest for example in the thread about "what works better now" - almost 35,000 views. All these viewers will be around to help when the real firmware gets released.
So OK maybe not every bug will still be around - but the accumalated experience will be helpful for the community.

The Following User Says Thank You to oved_etzot For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by oved_etzot View Post
Time will tell whether this helps things get better or not.
You can see it as wasting the communities time (though also flaming others is a waste of time). But you can also see it as an opportunuty for the community to practice their skills and be helpful when the real thing comes around.
We will have experienced people around who took the plunge for us - if you like it or not.

Look at the interest for example in the thread about "what works better now" - almost 35,000 views. All these viewers will be around to help when the real firmware gets released.
So OK maybe not every bug will still be around - but the accumalated experience will be helpful for the community.
Could you please read my post before yours and comment?

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
"Look! It's moving. It's alive. It's alive... IT'S ALIVE!"
Quick... Kill it, Kill it, KILL

The Following User Says Thank You to matts76 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Joorin View Post
@abill_uk

snip

Now imagine that said forum is littered with thread after thread of people complaining about problems and wanting help with said problems after installing an unofficial firmware upgrade.

snip

I
I've seen the same forums littered after a official update so where is the difference?

I was forced to fix the wifi battery drain bug (6615) myself after waiting for something to happen for weeks and decided to share the fix and there was people telling stories about extras-devel and unofficial risky fixes and so on, nonetheless this fixed the expensive phone for 50000 people. It doesn't seem to me that the official software was less bug prone or risky than this leaked stuff.

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by h3llraz0r View Post
I simply asked a question to know what people thought about this version of PR1.2, you don't need to come up with stupid claims and links that do nothing but distract us from the main question, which what trolls usually do.
So you think its a good idea to create a thread about something that is non existent ? And even a pool to get more people?

How can PR 1.2 disappoint if its not out yet?
You also know that its a beta version so surely it has bugs and you expect that people will say they dont have problems? sooner or later if real PR 1.2 is not out everyone will notice some weird bugs. Originally i wrote like that because I was referring to people who flashed without knowledge what it means and how to revert changes back.

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

The Following User Says Thank You to HellFlyer For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
chineesequality, fremantle, leaked pr1.2, maemo, maemo 5, n900, ranting, surreality