Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
Apple is The Beatles, you can't be the Beatles again without looking silly. If something, Nokia wants to be Led Zeppelin.
Hmmm, maybe you're right....
We come from the land of the ice and snow,
From the midnight sun where the [saunas] blow.
The hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new lands,
To fight the horde, singing and crying: Valhalla, I am coming!

On we sweep with [open source],
Our only goal will be the western shore.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I'm complaining about the lack of resources being put into the Maemo program, which causes the "not-mass-market-ready" problems that you're seeing.
Resources isn't the whole story, and IMHO lack of / constantly shifting focus seems to have been a more significant factor since Diablo.

By which I mean the whole killing Elephanta, Internet tablet -> phone, Hildon -> Qt, Maemo -> MeeGo (and who knows what's coming next) business. That's basically 5+ years of development down the drain by the time Harmattan arrives, and I can't seriously believe any of these were in the roadmap when the N810 came out.

All this after Nokia had demonstrated to the competition that you can build a decent *nix handheld, and then left them alone to build up their own platforms for a couple of years. Clever, that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 66 | Thanked: 70 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Paris
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
The only explanation is that it was not a very profitable device. Eg costs X, but can only sell at X + Y. Compared to other cheaper product lines, the profit margin could not be justified with limited resources unless it sold crazy crazy number of units.
Nokia is a large corporation. I wonder if the confused strategy is not the result of competing camps within the company.

The lack of support from the top could be due to fear of it becoming genuinely sucessful and what the consquences of such an open device going mainstream would be. I cant imagine why that would be but I do find it odd how dismissive their management are of the device.

I dont know anyone working in Nokia though so Ive no idea of what the culture is there.

The Following User Says Thank You to DeargDoom For This Useful Post:
Now, let me be very clear on one thing:

Let's not misunderstand Nokia's strategy and how its divisions work on that. Very roughly speaking, Nokia tends 3 segments:

The "dumbphone" segment: This is where the very cheap handsets with Symbian S40 sell. Primary rivals in this sector are the cheap handsets LG, Huawei, etc; and this is the most global market.

The "business" segment: This is where the E-Series with Symbian S60 live. Primary rival here is Blackberry.

The "high-end" segment: This is where the N-Series with Symbian S60 used to live. I say "used" because now this segment has been divided into "cheap-end" Symbian S60 will live (like the Nokia N8) and the "bleeding edge-end" MeeGo handsets will live. Primary rivals here are Apple, HTC, etc.

There is much to criticize in Nokia's strategy in the high-end, and some of it is very valid.

However on the other segments Nokia is doing very good. And when people cry bloody murder when they see phones like the Nokia C-6 released, they don't realize that Nokia didn't stop everything to make the C-6. It is just that its corresponding division finished it and launched it, while, at the same time, the high-end is working on a new N-Series.

That is how big is Nokia.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

Last edited by mrojas; 2010-05-03 at 22:59.

The Following User Says Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I think it is foolish to say, "We need [qt|gtk|c++|buzzword|linux] experts" rather than, "We need people who have shown (by their past experience) to be smart, quick learners, and enthusiastic about the product sector.
Let's talk some real idiocy (IMO) here.

I have been told by some current and ex-Nokia employees that there's still a wholesale personnel dump going on, particularly in North America. The main reason? Lack of degrees. And sure enough, after experienced Nokia employees are let go, I see new listings like "Logistics Coordinator" asking for, of all things, a Master's Degree.

That's nuts. At Nokia I indirectly led around 400 logistics coordinators worldwide and I just have an Associate's degree. Nokia US is really disconnected from reality... I wonder how much of that is corporate-wide...

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Texrat: Hard to know if the lack of degrees is just an excuse to kick out as many expensive Western workers as possible so they can hire 3 people in a developing country for the price of one in the Western world...

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Texrat: Hard to know if the lack of degrees is just an excuse to kick out as many expensive Western workers as possible so they can hire 3 people in a developing country for the price of one in the Western world...
While I cynically suspect some of that, many of these replacement jobs are still based in the expensive US.

Again: nuts.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
There are some developing countries that also offer cheap Master's as continuation of the bachelor degree (the same teachers dictate, so I don't think they are very advanced).

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

If something, Nokia wants to be Led Zeppelin.
Nokia is Led Zeppelin. And Eldar is Rolling Stone magazine.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 66 | Thanked: 70 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Paris
And when people cry bloody murder when they see phones like the Nokia C-6 released, they don't realize that Nokia didn't stop everything to make the C-6. It is just that its corresponding division finished it and launched it, while, at the same time, the high-end is working on a new N-Series.

That is how big is Nokia.
I can appreciate how big they are and how diversified they can afford to be. Their size is not particularly intimidating to me.

They are not really competing successfully at the high end though. The N8 isnt going to do it for them and they didnt seem to want Maemo to. Im not overly hopeful about their commitment to Meego but I would like to be proven wrong.

I guess I just dont get their strategy for the high end market. Steps dont do it for me.

Tags
ceo firing, fooled again