Posts: 16 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ British Columbia
Originally Posted by shallimus View Post

So at least one of my original questions still stands: I want to deal with Nokia in Canada. Canada is where I live, and it is where I earned the money to buy this Nokia product. Does anyone know why Nokia Canada are apparently totally unwilling to help me?
It's really pretty simple dude, you didn't buy from Nokia Canada, which is essentially a seperate distributer/company from Nokia USA. Nokia Canada didn't earn any money off of the sale and will therefor not take the risk of accidentally damaging your phone during repair and be forced to replace it at their loss. In a way, it's like expecting Sony to honor your LG TV warranty. Get a freight forwarding address and send it to Nokia USA. You don't really have any other option.

If you purchased your phone from Newegg.ca or another tech site, contact them as to how to have your phone warranteed. (e.g. Newegg will recieve your Canadian phone, ship it to their warehouse in the states, forward it to Nokia USA... etc).

Last edited by JohnoDotCa; 2010-05-04 at 16:57.

Originally Posted by JohnoDotCa View Post
In a way, it's like expecting Sony to honor your LG TV warranty.
Huh?

If you purchased your phone from Newegg.ca or another tech site, contact them as to how to have your phone warranteed. (e.g. Newegg will recieve your Canadian phone, ship it to their warehouse in the states, forward it to Nokia USA... etc).
In actuality, N900 warranty claims in Canada are not particularly simple and straight-forward. It's awfully easy to say "call the seller" to get results.

The terms and conditions of the extended Newegg warranty are lengthy. And I suggest anyone considering this route to read them carefully. First, the warranty comes at a cost. Second, it's only available within 30 days of purchasing the device. And amongst other things, it's only valid for a single one-time claim.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kriek For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 206 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vancouver
Had the same problem when nokia software updater bricked my phone and left it in a state where it couldn't be flashed. I talked to Nokia USA and Nokia Canada and neither would help me. Fortunately Newegg was really good about replacing it and dealing with Nokia for me. If it breaks again I'm probably going to have to get a different phone so that I can be assured warranty service. It's rather sad because I really like this one.

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Wow , thanks everyone for the info. I just hope I wont have any problems with my N900. I bought it from Newegg.ca as well

We all need to "thank" NAFTA for making it possible to buy N900 without proper warranty in Canada

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Originally Posted by Kriek View Post
Huh?
It's that hard to understand? Nokia USA and Nokia Canada are seperate companies selling the same brand. If you buy a phone from Nokia USA, why would Nokia Canada be responsible for the warranty of another company's product that they have chosen not to distribute?

In actuality, N900 warranty claims in Canada are not particularly simple and straight-forward. It's awfully easy to say "call the seller" to get results.

The terms and conditions of the extended Newegg warranty are lengthy. And I suggest anyone considering this route to read them carefully. First, the warranty comes at a cost. Second, it's only available within 30 days of purchasing the device. And amongst other things, it's only valid for a single one-time claim.
Two months after I purchased my phone from Newegg.ca, I needed to get my phone warranteed. I didn't buy the extended warranty from Newegg. I called them, told them that I was having trouble getting Nokia to honor the MANUFACTURER's warranty as they (Newegg.ca) sold me a US product in Canada without first disclosing that the manufacturer's warranty wouldn't be valid in Canada. They took care of it for me by routing my USA warranty claim through the states. I might have been a special case as I practically purchased my N900 the moment it was available on the site (they may have added a disclaimer re: warranty issues since), but it's worth a phonecall to them to see what they can do.

Newegg also performed this astonishing feat for a friend who purchased an N97 with a noisy vibrator before Nokia Canada started distributing it here.

Sometimes, it is as simple as a phonecall to the seller.

(they may have added a disclaimer re: warranty issues since)
Yeah......

Yeah......
I decided to check.... actually, that would be no. They still have it advertised with a one year parts and labor manufacturer's warranty, which as pointed out in several posts, means Newegg.ca will more than likely route your N900 to Nokia USA for you.

I decided to check.... actually, that would be no. They still have it advertised with a one year parts and labor manufacturer's warranty, which as pointed out in several posts, means Newegg.ca will more than likely route your N900 to Nokia USA for you.

Okay, but what about the rest of the fine print?

Manufacturer Warranty
Beyond any applicable Newegg return policy, this item is warranted independently by the product's Manufacturer. Below is a summary provided for convenience only and may not be accurate or current. Use this link for full details.

Manufacturer Limited Warranty period (parts): 1 year
Manufacturer Limited Warranty period (labor): 1 year
Manufacturer Contact Info
Manufacturer Product Page|
Support Phone Number: 1-888-665-4228
Support Website|
View other products from Nokia

Okay, but what about the rest of the fine print?

Manufacturer Warranty
Beyond any applicable Newegg return policy, this item is warranted independently by the product's Manufacturer. Below is a summary provided for convenience only and may not be accurate or current. Use this link for full details.

Manufacturer Limited Warranty period (parts): 1 year
Manufacturer Limited Warranty period (labor): 1 year
Manufacturer Contact Info
Manufacturer Product Page|
Support Phone Number: 1-888-665-4228 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting**************1-888-665-4228******end_of_the_skype_highlighting begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-888-665-4228 end_of_the_skype_highlighting
Support Website|
View other products from Nokia
What exactly about the fine print? Newegg.ca lists the manufacturer warranty as a selling feature of the phone on it's site, and stands by it by facilitating it's Canadian customer's warranty claims. It's not required by any means, but chances are they will do it for you in the name of great customer service. As I said before, I've done it in the past. A good friend has done it. ZShakespeare (see below) was hooked up by Newegg.ca.... not too sure why this is so hard for you to grasp.

Originally Posted by ZShakespeare View Post
Had the same problem when nokia software updater bricked my phone and left it in a state where it couldn't be flashed. I talked to Nokia USA and Nokia Canada and neither would help me. Fortunately Newegg was really good about replacing it and dealing with Nokia for me. If it breaks again I'm probably going to have to get a different phone so that I can be assured warranty service. It's rather sad because I really like this one.

Alright! Im just surprised to hear all that from you fellas. My first N900 when I bought in nov i messed it up by installing some app from extra devel and it corruptedmy memory. It was within 30 days so my dealer replaced it for me..but i spok to nokia usa and they said if its within 30days my dealer should relpace it if not then nokia will see if they can fix it or else theyll just relace it..and that 1 year manufac warranty.

So i don't know what are tey telling you.
perhaps they have my long list of all those nokias that ive bought overthe years.