Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Hey all.

So yeah, I've got this thing called the recycler virus and it's camping out on my external hard drive, main hard drive and all of my memory cards as well.

I did the whole Google experience to find a solution and I think I picked up even more junk just by going to the wrong places online.

I'm currently running Windows XP without a firewall and no Antivirus protection.

Basically my butt is flapping out in the breeze.

I'm horrible at computers so if someone knows a perfect way to delete this junk, I would be most honored to hear from you.

So far, by looking at the hidden files, I'm seeing "RECYCLER and System Volume Information" on my external hard drive, C: drive and memory cards.

Could someone please be my new bestest of friends?

Oh and talk to me like I'm a monkey on this.

And yeah, I have no problem whatsoever if I need to reformat my entire computer, just not my external hard drive and memory cards.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
AFAIK, those folders are created by Windows itself. "RECYCLER" being the Recycle Bin and "System Volume Information" being where System Restore points (among others) are saved.

You can adjust the size used by RECYCLER by going to the Recycle Bin properties and the size reserved for System Restore points can be changed from the System Control Panel.

Last edited by qwerty12; 2010-05-05 at 06:54.

Qwerty!

Hey thanks!

Yeah, it's tough to know if I even nuked it or not.

Currently my RECYCLER is over 6 megs. But yeah, I'll just whittle the maximum size of the folder down to 0 and hope that clears it all.

Thanks for the idea!

It's definitely not a suggestion I've heard of yet while rifling through the net and picking up even more bugs while doing so.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
"I'm currently running Windows XP without a firewall and no Antivirus protection."

There is your problem so the very first thing to do is at least go get some virus protection and many offer free trial periods.
You should never even attempt to put a pc on the net without virus protection or a firewall at the very least.
AVAST is ok so go get that for starters and as a firewall COMODO is quite good and both have free options without even the need for a trial period.
On top of that get some Malware protection and for this i suggest you try Malwarebytes as it is also free permanently.
Everything i have suggested is in fact free to download and use permanently but only download from the makers sites and never from a torrent site as its likely to be infested.
I hope this is of some use to you.

Okay, I just set all of my drives to have a maximum size for the recycling bin to 0%.

Give me something so horrible and disgusting to download that I want to beat the crap out of it immediately! *lol*

I'd like to see if this works.

Personal pictures of you would be fine.

Posts: 128 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Switzerland
Try this step, may be helpful. (It was for me).

You can remove the recycler virus both manually

1. Search for the process called CTFMON.EXE and kill it through Task Manager.
2. Search CTFMON.EXE file in the Startup menu and delete it.
3. Boot the system in safe mode and open the command prompt.
4. Disable hidden, system, and read only attributes for autorun.inf and recycled folder delete them.
5. Clean the recycle bin.
6. Repeat these steps for all the drives on your computer.
7. Open registry editor and modify the NoDriveTypeAutoRun entry with 03ffffff value after searching it in following registry folders:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWARE
HKEY_CURRENT_USERSOFTWARE
8. Reboot and scan your system with latest antivirus software.

Or via software

Thanks Bill!

I actually looked up Malwarebytes a bit ago while trying to find a solution and it was asking for $30 bucks. But then again, I think the reference came from a shady place.

I so wish the internet wasn't just a daily, turd depository.

Originally Posted by manvik60 View Post
Try this step, may be helpful. (It was for me).

You can remove the recycler virus both manually

1. Search for the process called CTFMON.EXE and kill it through Task Manager.
2. Search CTFMON.EXE file in the Startup menu and delete it.
3. Boot the system in safe mode and open the command prompt.
4. Disable hidden, system, and read only attributes for autorun.inf and recycled folder delete them.
5. Clean the recycle bin.
6. Repeat these steps for all the drives on your computer.
7. Open registry editor and modify the NoDriveTypeAutoRun entry with 03ffffff value after searching it in following registry folders:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWARE
HKEY_CURRENT_USERSOFTWARE
8. Reboot and scan your system with latest antivirus software.

Or via software
Hey man!

Yeah, I think I'll choose software instead.

I'm a total nut with computers.

Big thanks for the reference!

So can we lock this thread yet?

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by Addison View Post
Thanks Bill!

I actually looked up Malwarebytes a bit ago while trying to find a solution and it was asking for $30 bucks. But then again, I think the reference came from a shady place.

I so wish the internet wasn't just a daily, turd depository.
Its free you dont pay a cent here is the download link from cnet ok.

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebyte...-10804572.html

Posts: 128 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by Addison View Post
Hey man!

Yeah, I think I'll choose software instead.

I'm a total nut with computers.

Big thanks for the reference!

So can we lock this thread yet?
Yes, you can lock the thread now.

and as Abill_UK said, its free, you dont have to pay unless you want to keep it forever and want it for real time protection.

But yes, do get some AV