For free non-commercial antivirus, I would take a look at Avast if I was you. I'd also like to recommend Comodo Antivirus, I really would, cause I love the GUI of it, but it'll run stable for a few weeks then ruin something for you. So, my recommendation is Avast. It has this lovely "Your virus database has been updated" sound clip. Totally worth it just for that.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by volt View Post
For free non-commercial antivirus, I would take a look at Avast if I was you. I'd also like to recommend Comodo Antivirus, I really would, cause I love the GUI of it, but it'll run stable for a few weeks then ruin something for you. So, my recommendation is Avast. It has this lovely "Your virus database has been updated" sound clip. Totally worth it just for that.
Seems we think alike ha

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
"I'm currently running Windows XP without a firewall and no Antivirus protection."

There is your problem so the very first thing to do is at least go get some virus protection .....
Their is your problem right their . . . YOUR RUNNING WINDOWS XP . . . for 99% of users windows is an unnecessary burden of a Operating System to run on their machines. With Linux you dont need an Anti-Virus . . . the Windows Viruses won't WORK!!!

As come pared to Linux based OS's and Mac's, Windows is slow and susceptible to TONS of VIRUS'S that simply do not exist with Linux or Mac. You can download the Windows viruses and try to run them on the Linux Box but they won't work simply because they are written to work on and target windows users.

I am surprised than especially in the Maemo Forums I am going to be the first person to recommend installing Ubuntu, an free, open source, user friendly venison of Linux that comes with everything you need to get the most out of your PC.

You can learn more about Ubuntu and download it for free at Ubuntu.com

You can thank me later

http://www.ubuntu.com/

Last edited by mrebanza; 2010-05-05 at 08:03.

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 78 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Netherlands
Kaspersky all the way!!!

http://www.kaspersky.com/

I tried Norton and some others but i will stay with kaspersky much better 10/10!

Ah... sorry, but this is just a perfect blast from the past

MS defender, spybot, nod32, avast, bitdefender, ... please choose and use one.

Posts: 601 | Thanked: 549 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Redditch, UK
Have to admit I'd go Kaspersky. Running Security 2010 on W7 X86 and X64 at home and they are both slick as slick can be.

In terms of Viruses, I've had plenty and dealt with them myself. The reason why they attack Windows machines is because a core component in the OS is the C:\Windows\System32 folder, which is primarily the target folder for any interdependant *.dll files that the virus either links into or creates itself. If the virus cannot file the path specified, ie C:\Windows\System32 then it can't install itself and therefore is null and void. That's another reason why I run 64 bit on the desktop - because System32 doesn't exist, and my girl can have 32bit on the lappy because Flash doesnt like working in 64bit browsers, and I'm too lazy to explain the difference :P. Besides, if she picks up a nasty I'll get rid of it if Kaspersky doesn't.

As for Recycler being a virus - LMAO! If you are concerned about viruses being resident in your machine then download and run MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. Granted, it's not a full suite of anti-virus tools, but it is a one-stop shop for MOST of the bad things you are going to pick up from the internet.

Besides anything else, if you had a *true* virus then I doubt very much that you would be able to post on this forum. It's far more likely that if anything, you have a slight greyware infection. Run Anti-Malware. Should see you ok

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by mrebanza View Post
Their is your problem right their . . . YOUR RUNNING WINDOWS XP . . . for 99% of users windows is an unnecessary burden of a Operating System to run on their machines. With Linux you dont need an Anti-Virus . . . the Windows Viruses won't WORK!!!

As come pared to Linux based OS's and Mac's, Windows is slow and susceptible to TONS of VIRUS'S that simply do not exist with Linux or Mac. You can download the Windows viruses and try to run them on the Linux Box but they won't work simply because they are written to work on and target windows users.

I am surprised than especially in the Maemo Forums I am going to be the first person to recommend installing Ubuntu, an free, open source, user friendly venison of Linux that comes with everything you need to get the most out of your PC.

You can learn more about Ubuntu and download it for free at Ubuntu.com

You can thank me later

http://www.ubuntu.com/
I actually agree with you on this one but the problem is people simply cannot run Ubuntu as they are experianced XP users etc and probably would not know where to start but what about installing Virtual pc ? then installing Ubuntu?

I for one prefer linux on my servers (and router, popcorn hour, cell phone) and windows on my desktops. Granted, Linux desktops have come a very, very long way since the totally useless crap it was when I first seriously tried it out some fifteen years ago, but the Windows software base wins hands down, and that's where I have my knowledge and experience too. Can't erase decades of routine.

If I was a kid now though, I'd probably think differently.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I have moved to a Linux desktop, with a dual-boot that lets me occasionally boot to Windows for some games, and a Windows XP VM that I run through the free VMWare Player (in Linux) for the Windows stuff that isn't games. Seems to be working OK so far...

Originally Posted by qole View Post
I have moved to a Linux desktop, with a dual-boot that lets me occasionally boot to Windows for some games, and a Windows XP VM that I run through the free VMWare Player (in Linux) for the Windows stuff that isn't games. Seems to be working OK so far...
Been running openSUSE for about 5 years now, never let me down (except when I was screwing with it and didn't know what I was doing!)

Linux is the way forward!