Active Topics

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
No i am not hurt..... i would'nt mind you guys having a good laugh. Specially since i dont know what you are talking about. Go ahead .... have fun

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barbados
If Nokia did port S60 to the N800. I strongly believe that a lot of people would purchase units.

After all the iphone is a very closed OS and they sold over half a million in 3 days.

So the closed OS moaning is hardly worth anything.

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barbados
Oh course they would have to leave out the phone functionality and replace it with something else. Like skype or Google talk and an IM client.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
i loved my nokia 7710 with series 90. Although the resolution and screen size were nowhere near to n800. It was the first large screen phone with touch screen. And that was way back in 2004. Now apple sayst that their touch screen phone is path breaking technology!!!! How ignorant can they be??

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Toronto
May I revisit this same question anyone can give a real answer?

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
"Could" it be ported? Yes, but only by Nokia and there's absolutely zero chance of them doing that (all of Nokia's Symbian branches are for phones).

So, the answer to your actual question ("Is there any chance of Symbian being ported to the N800?") is a resounding "no".

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Hi. I guess your question is "Could the N800 hardware run Symbian OS", right? (That's the only sensible question, really).

Well, N800 runs OMAP processors, as do Symbian phones, and it is a very capable piece of hardware. But as Aflegg already says, Symbian OS is for phones and N800 hardware has no such capability. Plus about the touch screen... The UIQ UI on top of Symbian does support touch screens, but there are no touch screen S60 UI phones currently on the market. So the answer really is no.

(And even if the answer would be something else, it would make no sense at all, on so many levels, so no.

Sorry, I read .... as long pauses in sentences. So if you've ever seen someone making fun of Capitan Kirk on the old Star Trek shows, you'd know what I was talking about.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ here and there
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
Whatever, i am just happy that you guys had a good laugh.
Me...... too.......

Nokia's version of Symbian (s60v3) doesn't support touchscreen. Why because they are lame like that. None of the s60 applications works with the touchscreen. There is nothing wrong with the current state of Linux on n800, except a decent word processor suite.