Posts: 98 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Netherlands
I guess we as end users are entitled to have the general expectation that Nokia would make the best of a modernizing gadget like your phone, and that that includes having a vision about certain (future) needs of the end user.
You make it somewhat sound if you have been misled to paying for a front camera, but I have to ask then "but has that front camera been so much propagated/sold then?"
My vote goes not so much for Nokia making a front cam application as for an optimized hindcam app and for them to boost up audio functions (notably the possibility to record from external stereo mic) so I hope t h o s e interiors will be put in some spotlight. Anyway all is for Nokia to present to an important group of users, isn't it?

But hey who knows what surprises we may still expect, I'm convinced Nokia knows the N900 audience. Best would be that Nokia did its best not to block free developing.

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
All of the tablets have had hardware easter eggs and extras from FM radio to IR ports to USB host modes etc.

The problem with most users here is that they don't realize the heritage of the Tablet devices. The N900 was probably designed by a team of engineers that included some who cut their teeth on the N810 and N800. The UI and maemo definitely was not from 'phone' developers either. Be happy that your N900 has a front facing camera that will have some use soon rather than complain about what it doesn't do now.

Originally Posted by mobiledivide View Post
All of the tablets have had hardware easter eggs and extras from FM radio to IR ports to USB host modes etc.

The problem with most users here is that they don't realize the heritage of the Tablet devices. The N900 was probably designed by a team of engineers that included some who cut their teeth on the N810 and N800. The UI and maemo definitely was not from 'phone' developers either. Be happy that your N900 has a front facing camera that will have some use soon rather than complain about what it doesn't do now.
With the amount of money i and other users have shelled , non of the excuses are justified.

Last edited by tusharmax; 2010-05-05 at 20:44.

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 176 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Hamburg, Germany
If you are looking for applications for the front camera, see my signature.

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Originally Posted by tusharmax View Post
With the amount of money i and other users have shelled , non of the excuses are justified.
I paid the same amount of money that you did for my device (and full price for N810 and N800). There are no excuses here...would you rather have no front camera at all or a front camera that does Gtalk and Skype after a firmware update? Simple yes/no answer please. Would you rather have no IR port at all or awesome apps like QTirreco and raemote? Would you rather have no FM radio at all than applications like FMradio? I don't get your point?

You paid 'lots' of money and these hardware features are simply things that can enhance your use of the device. I simply don't get the angst on this forum sometimes...*apologies to all but here it comes* if you want another phone get an iPhone, oh right in order to get a front facing camera you will have to buy a 4G iphone not update a 3GS which shipped without one.

Every modern smartphone increases functionality with software updates, Android/iPhone/ Symbian all of them. We are lucky we have the most open device on the market by far and it happens to ship with awesome customizable hardware.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mobiledivide For This Useful Post:
I want it to recognise face gestures and tell what im thinking, so then i can think the damm number in...
Who wants to be part of my team of trained monkeys to make this, we can then stick a finger up to steve jobs.
Multi touch ? meh
Try no touch, hey ma NO HANDS

Hello,

Not everyone has the same needs. The front cam was there in case a dev had an idea that required it . And look what jfk has managed to accomplish with it. I do wish the quality of the camera output was better, as it is, it looks like the cheapest camera in the world. So i guess you may have saved a few cents if Nokia didn't include it.

Originally Posted by jfk View Post
If you are looking for applications for the front camera, see my signature.

Is it possible, that my german e-Mail (slightly.nerd) gave you a little inspiration for your second project - the 3d-johnny-lee-n900? :P

I sent the same idea a month ago or something like this

nearlyNERD

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ England
Originally Posted by Mandor View Post
Try Google Talk. It is working.
Google Talk video chat doesn't work yet in the latest released firmware. how're you getting this to work?

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ irvine
hey, hey, calm down people ! Think about , Whoever bought this phone have themselves and Nokia something in common . Nokia said "let give them something we think you will need in about 3 years and updare software". I Think i was sold to that and have always like Nokia . I speak for myslef I don't like the normal crap everyone else has. i have to have my fix of technology and nokia keeps on giving . Don't forget why you got the phone . For the ideas and tech . So enjoy and lets keep on hacking . cuz i dont like to pay for for anything . This phone has saved me so much money . it already paid for itself. Stop nagging. End sell the phone impatience basters and wait till the smart fellows in this fourm makes it happen. I say screw N900 . Haters !!