Closed Thread
Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
Originally Posted by Laughingstok View Post
Gotten a little quiet in here.
everytime i look in this thread i die a little bit inside...

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
Originally Posted by lsolano View Post
Does not he have a boss?
Did nokia forget about the small detail that they have thousands of customers?
I don't want to see my boss face if I tell him that I will have my work done for sure, but that I just don't know when.
I'd see it as a very positive sign : Nokia has bosses who are capable of understanding that if they rush the QA cycle and push out a half baked product, then the real bosses - the customers - will burn them at the stake.
If you cared to read the content of that blog, it seems that they aren't just interested in pushing new features. They want us to be able to use the phone for long periods of time without needing a reboot.
They're also doing performance testing to ensure that the speed of the device remains consistent over an uptime of a week or more.
From a stability and performance point of view, that means Nokia is pushing PR1.2 towards the level of stability I've experienced in other smartphones.

I'm pretty certain you'd want your phone to be stable and fast to show off to your iPhony, beebee and goog-phony friends.

For now, relax and enjoy the summer. Have a mai-tai!

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
True. But can also be that you don't have any customers left

Focus on QA - Release 2012

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ St. Louis, MO, USA
Originally Posted by msa View Post
everytime i look in this thread i die a little bit inside...
My goodness. There must not be much left of you at this point.

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Wales, UK
Originally Posted by vaibhavsharma View Post
Here is why the firmware is late, at least this is part of the reason.

http://maemocentral.com/2010/05/06/h...-n900-is-late/
If Nokia had any respect for us as customers, someone from the company would have come out and said all of this officially a month ago, when they realised it was going to take a little longer than they thought.

Not communicating with an expectant customer base causes bad feeling. This thread is enough evidence of that.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Also, features in Pr 1.2 will probably be the same in World wide releases as HK release. This means that the features must already been functional tested and performance tested before release to HK. So now what. languages that takes weeks to test?

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Also, features in Pr 1.2 will probably be the same in World wide releases as HK release. This means that the features must already been functional tested and performance tested before release to HK. So now what. languages that takes weeks to test?
I think it's a lot different when you put firware in a new device. I think the delays are as a result of compatibility issues with previous firmwares. The HK version never had pr 1.1 or 1.0 or prior use

Posts: 235 | Thanked: 163 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Costa Rica
Originally Posted by vaibhavsharma View Post
Hey, those are my words and not Eero Tamminen's. So you can go easy on the good Nokian who actually came forward to share! :
ahhhhhh :-) thanks for make things clear.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by twoboxen View Post
Good points, BAD punctuation.
i didnt know this was a english lesson just wanted an answer not be criticized for my grammer.

Originally Posted by netAdept View Post
If Nokia had any respect for us as customers, someone from the company would have come out and said all of this officially a month ago, when they realised it was going to take a little longer than they thought.

Not communicating with an expectant customer base causes bad feeling. This thread is enough evidence of that.
If they can predict exactly how long these issues would take, they should be in the stock market and not releasing software. Your assumption that they knew exactly how long it'd take is misguided. They're certainly not going to let the community know about every bump they run into.

If this was stressful for you waiting, imagine what its like for the coders and testers dealing with the issue.

They're not fixing typos here folks. A test cycle takes more than just a few hours and if they find a problem they have to reproduce it, then they have to diagnose it, fix it, unit test and if all has gone well go through another full cycle. Turnaround on a major issue can easily take a week if they find and fix a problem the first go around, longer if they need to iterate or have multiple issues.

Chilax and go do something fun. It'll get here soon enough.

Last edited by geohsia; 2010-05-06 at 19:51.

Closed Thread

Tags
avoid thread, fictional update, firmware, fremantle, future, goodwin's law, it will be on 12.21.2012, maemo, maemo 5, may be it's a myth?, may be next week, maybe april fools, maybe not, patience is a virtue, patience wastes your life, post generator, pr 1.2, pr1.2, product release, repost, rerun, rick roll'd, speculation, update, worst thread ever