Active Topics

Originally Posted by HellFlyer View Post
Oh really?

1. PR 1.2 is not out yet so you cant tell him that it works, its like if he told you about some functions from Android 2.2

2. You are right Turn by Turn is used in Maps app but still main point of having a GPS in my opinion is to use it for navigation as regular Garmin etc do

3. what do you mean by special hardware? N900 has some mega ultra super not special hardware to use VGA -> TV function?
1) Video calling already works with GChat, the only problem is you can't start it from the N900. Not to mention I think it also works with aMSN (haven't tried it in a long time since I'm rarely on MSN).

2) GPS can also be used for other things, geocaching, ecoach, finding restaurants near you (Google Maps). Not to mention if you want turn by turn voice directions then there is Sygic.

3) As for HDMI, while I do think eventually all TVs will have HDMI, my own personal TV (that I rarely use anymore since I never watch TV) doesn't have HDMI. And while American I think has passed the 50% adoption rate for HDTVs(or was it 75%?) there are still non-HDTVs out there. And I think most HDTVs are still made with a composite cable option so it's not like the functionality is useless. While an HDMI only device right now would be limited to HDTVs (or if you bring some kind of converter).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
1. Front camera doesn't do anything
I have done mobile Gtalk video conversations over 3G successfully right now with no pr1.2

2. GPS? only use is for geotagging , no Turn by turn navigation
Sygic has a turn by turn application available through the Ovi store right now

3. VGA ? its from 90's later this year mini HDMI devices will blow away crappy analog devices like N900
You can output SNES over the 'crappy' VGA connections and the N900 was released LAST YEAR, its no longer cutting edge but still way ahead of the other unreleased devices

edit: beaten

Last edited by mobiledivide; 2010-05-07 at 18:02. Reason: beaten

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Lagos, Nigeria
Hehehe...I'm loving this..LaughingStok vs. HellFlyer...Round 1,FIGHT! *grabs popcorn*

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by HellFlyer View Post
but still main point of having a GPS in my opinion is to use it for navigation as regular Garmin etc do
why? i dont even own a car and am happily using gps all the time.

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ St. Louis, MO, USA
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
why? i dont even own a car and am happily using gps all the time.
True, most people don't own cars (or ride in them very often). Turn-by-turn navigation on a always-on-you device probably wouldn't be useful.

Posts: 151 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Sep 2006 @ Mexico City, Mexico
Well.... here we go again with the devices war.

I just went on a short trip to the USA from Mexico; living in Mexico and NOT having either the N900 or the Nexus One being sold in this country I was in a huge dilemma on "which one to get"....

To keep it short, I ended buying both. I did it because I was pretty sure I would be able to sell any one of the two in here (and perhaps even make a profit ). I am really glad I got both devices as I have had plenty of time to compare and play with both at the same time.

I like both phones, but, as you may guess there are pros and cons for each one.... my highlights would be:

a) I like the extremely consistent user interface of the N1, I dislike the fact that the N900 has a clumsy U.I. design, like a not finished product. Sometimes it seems it is finger oriented, sometimes it is stylus oriented..sometimes it is just hard to select an item (near the screen corners/edges)
b) I like the fact the N900 has video output. Cool for presentations, the N1: none.
c) I love the Android Market scheme, (even tough using it from Mexico with a local SIM is somewhat limited). OVI store, and for that matter all OVI related stuff is and has been crap.
d) I love the N900 FM Transmitter, the N1: none.
e) Form factor: I prefer the N1 to the N900, including its hardware keyboard which I found a bit hard to use (try hitting ctrl-a).
f) Responsiveness: both get slowed down a bit on some ocasions. I can live so far with any of them.
g) Applications: I wish there were far more Android (of Android like) apps on the N900 (stock investing apps / nice weather apps) and I wish there were some N900 apps on the Android (Angry Birds!).
h) Flash: I love the N900 includes flash. N1 none (not yet, at least).
i) Openess: The N900 is as open as an OS and the device it runs on can be. The N1...not as much, you can root it and so on, but there are disclaimer notes from "G" on this...

And...I could continue on and on...so far, I still have both devices... each one has its moments in my current mobile life.

The N1 is my main phone (due the fact the version I got supports the 3G frequencies we use here, not the N900) but the N900 is my mobile Linux computer with all that "Linux" means and includes.

Hope this gives you a little insight of someone who has got both gadgets, loves and hates each of them in a very specific ways.

...Now, to work on selling my old N810 and N800 tablets...

Best regards from Mexico City.

The MyTouch is a really crappy device mostly because of it's ANCIENT processor. As far as I've seen The higher end Android devices (droid, n1 etc) are extremely responsive and do multitasking really well.

All down to personal preferences really.. Some people couldn't give to effs about a FM rec/transmitter or a VGA-out. These are feature I personally do not use at all. What I care about is function.
________
Herbalaire Vaporizer

Last edited by nax3000; 2011-03-18 at 12:59.

Originally Posted by nax3000 View Post
All down to personal preferences really.. Some people couldn't give to effs about a FM rec/transmitter or a VGA-out. These are feature I personally do not use at all. What I care about is function.
You nailed it. For the work I do, the N900 is unbeatable. Same for the guy I showed it to. We both work in the same field and do similar duties. Once he saw the things I was able to do (we work in a heavy *nix environment) with the N900, he was floored.

Originally Posted by febb View Post
...Now, to work on selling my old N810 and N800 tablets...

Best regards from Mexico City.
You might want to keep one if you use the TV out function to watch TV frequently.

Hint: Use the n810 or the n800 as a remote to control the N900 so you don't have to get up to change media files.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by Laughingstok View Post
You nailed it. For the work I do, the N900 is unbeatable. Same for the guy I showed it to. We both work in the same field and do similar duties. Once he saw the things I was able to do (we work in a heavy *nix environment) with the N900, he was floored.
Oh yeah, showing the device of to UNIX people is awesome. My uncle works with unix and he thought it's so cool he didn't want it it's because it's like being at work only it goes with him everywhere haha.
That said, a declaimer - There's a 50 percent change I'm trading my N900 for a Milestone because of such personal preferences...
________
BUY VAPORMATIC

Last edited by nax3000; 2011-03-18 at 12:59.