Active Topics

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
The mouse 'opens doors' for the keyboards to type the words, styli to input gestures, midi devices to be recorded, etc...

But by itself, what kind of content does it create? (In considerable quantity)
CAD software?

The Following User Says Thank You to nosa101 For This Useful Post:
Here is my simple truth. If my n900 and my iPod touch have the same program, I'll reach for the n900 every time, because of the stylus. The stylus is easier to use, I have more control, I can see more of the screen, using it conserves way more energy, and it causes less fatigue.

Games? With long sessions of a Sudoku clone or Mahjong, it's no contest. And if I had the full version, that would apply to Angry Birds also.

My iPod touch works great. It's an excellent product, but except for my Yahoo! mail, it's never my preferred device. All because of the stylus. Well, sometimes because of the speaker(s).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
But by itself, what kind of content does it [mouse] create? (In considerable quantity)
Graphics of course.

Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Here is my simple truth. If my n900 and my iPod touch have the same program, I'll reach for the n900 every time, because of the stylus. The stylus is easier to use, I have more control, I can see more of the screen, using it conserves way more energy, and it causes less fatigue.

Games? With long sessions of a Sudoku clone or Mahjong, it's no contest. And if I had the full version, that would apply to Angry Birds also.

My iPod touch works great. It's an excellent product, but except for my Yahoo! mail, it's never my preferred device. All because of the stylus. Well, sometimes because of the speaker(s).
It's the other way for me. I usually switch to the itouch to tweet or check facebook or do some quick web browsing.
Althought i prefer angry birds on the n900 though

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
a finger friendly ui is also nice to use with a stylus, but dumbing down specific stylus interactions where necessary is wrong.

http://twitter.com/lcuk/status/13644048929

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Ok, this is a very subjective personal topic..

Favoring one over another can be like telling everyone to wear the same shoe style AND size as you do...
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 47 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
For me, i generally prefer stylus.

Why?

What's the point of a gorgeous hi-res screen if every screen element takes up half the screen just to be "finger friendly"? I want to see more info at a glance rather than have to scroll for 20 pages..

Sure it's nice to also interact quickly without having to pull the stylus out but it depends on app and the amount and type of info it presents.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mwerle For This Useful Post:
Posts: 140 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Earth
Its great just use a finger but at this point in time circumstances command a stylus. if however a versatile screen/finger cursor mode existed then maybe that would remove the need for a stylus.

N900 - Use, Master, Appreciate.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Finger-friendly UIs really don't work well for anyone with long fingernails (Guitar players, women, cats...) The area of fingerpad you can get to the screen when you have to angle the finger for the nail is huge and spludgy. Personally, I never use the stylus for the simple reason that I have a stylus on the end of my finger. I would not buy a device I couldn't interact with using a fingernail (or any available tool if my hands are wet).

Thought: capacative fans = nail-biters?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by cibyr View Post
I don't want to have to use a stylus; I want to be able to use my phone just with my fingers (preferably one-handed).
buy a phone without a touchscreen then. i'd recommend a c5.

i've never seen anyone operate a touch screen phone one-handed. hold it in one hand, use index finger of other hand. that's what people do. (just watch ellen's iphone commercial.)

Tags
finger fetish, rhabdophobia