Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by mrdally204 View Post
benny you have yet to show me the evil. My point in cutting edge gives you reason to use their products. And I still do not understand why everyone freaks out about data mining. Do you really think you your self are so important that Google is going to single you out to wrong you? Really? It only takes one known wrong doing to kill them. And if you are so worried about whats being seen, maybe you are doing a bit of evil yourself

tso if you are referring to google voice, then yes it is a private "beta" at the moment....just as gmail was. I'm sure once they see the success and figure out how they can be profitable with the voice, they will 1 work with international telco's and 2 open it up for free sign up
Cutting edge technology gives you a reason to use their products although you should know better. People wouldn't give up their privacy for only half-baked, boring content, right? The bait has to be attractive.

And for many this strategy seems to work. They don't think much about it... like: Why do they give it away for free? (I bet some people even think Google has to be good because they give away all these services for free.)

Google gives away your data to the authorities. They answer thousands of requests per year. (Where "one" request my be anything from "Tell me about person X" to "Give me all information about anybody who ever visited site Y".) I wouldn't want my data to show up in files of the US or UK authorities.

Even more dangerous: They have the data. We know who controls these huge amounts of data today, but you cannot be sure who does tomorrow. Any regime (or new owner of the company) could use the data tomorrow to single out, abduct and torture people based on anything they like. Sexual orientation, religion, friends, political points of view, it's all there in the database. Never been so easy.

Knowing the danger and still keeping this business running is irresponsible - and evil.

Oh, and there's more, of course. Companies of a certain size are always evil. They have too much power. Google, for example, has the potential to change the whole internet to its likings. They introduced their own DNS service, they introduce a replacement for http, they have their own browser and now even two operating systems under their control... Heaven! Microsoft did only half of that and was always considered "bad". Why shouldn't Google be? Because they let you edit your documents for free? Are people that cheap?

Last edited by benny1967; 2010-05-09 at 20:12.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
the dns service is thankfully optional, and the http replacement (more like a improvement, iirc) do not show any signs of EEE (like what microsoft have a history of doing) but i am not fully aware of any license put on the improvements, if any at all.

i guess they are evil tho, if evil includes disregarding potential negatives to their own actions. The road to hell is paved with good intentions?

so far the only section of google that shows any direct willingness to control things is the android one, and its a transplant rather then a in house creation. The rest just seems to create services and such without maybe considering any negative effects it can have down the road. Heck, when complaints where made about issues of data being held hostage by google servers, they provided tools for getting the data out.

Last edited by tso; 2010-05-09 at 21:12.

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I'm not seeing how this is evil. They're admitting that the code wasn't mainline, it was behind... and ultimately they're lagging.

Removing is actually more an admission of being behind than "evil". Am I wrong?
You misunderstand.

Google put some sh*t into the Linux kernel which break compatibility between Android's drivers and "regular" Linux drivers. Along with other stuff.

The kernel maintainers asked Google to fix it. Google didn't care. (This is why they are evil.)
So, in the end, the kernel maintainers removed Google's code.

The Following User Says Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 92 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ leicester UK
It amazes me just how deep the hate for Google goes. Yes they give away a lot of their services in return data mine for advertising. This is understood when you sign up with them. But their products are usually cutting edge and functional. Not to mention how they continue to mesh multiple projects together near seamless. I find the hate to be just that, hate on a company that really has done zilch (to my knowledge) to wrong anyone. I hope that Google continues to buy up small start ups and bring them to the next level that otherwise the start up would never be able to reach. And did I mention free
I like Google too, they understand how to make advertising profitable and keep it from being intensely annoying, unlike conventional advertising, which prides itself on its ability to brainwash the human race.

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 70 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Paris
It amazes me just how deep the hate for Google goes. Yes they give away a lot of their services in return data mine for advertising. This is understood when you sign up with them.
I can make an interpretation for data mining that I find a fair exchage for their services but the mask has been slipping for some time. Given their "Dont be Evil" motto they are never going to get an easy ride but its now gone further than that and gotten to the stage where Microsoft look like the good guys in comparison

Originally Posted by Eric Schmidt
If you have something that you don't want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place.
I didn't sign up for that. Google have made their position on privacy very clear. My gmail account is now only used for spam and I bought an n900 instead of an android device.

Plus if you ever speak to a Google employee the place sounds like a creepy cult.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeargDoom For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
You misunderstand.

Google put some sh*t into the Linux kernel which break compatibility between Android's drivers and "regular" Linux drivers. Along with other stuff.

The kernel maintainers asked Google to fix it. Google didn't care. (This is why they are evil.)
So, in the end, the kernel maintainers removed Google's code.
That's not evil. That's lazy and failing to understand who you're working with. Evil would be if they threatened them, or something.

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
That's not evil. That's lazy and failing to understand who you're working with. Evil would be if they threatened them, or something.
Using free software for making money and then not caring about the rest of the world IS evil enough for me.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
You misunderstand.

I am not fanatic of Google and I am a linux s/w developer but I think you misunderstand a little in the last sentence -

The Linux community way of maintaining kernel is not very compatible with commercial production. It is pretty troublesome to keep development of commercial product without a reliable way to make your patches working. You do a patch/development and put it in kernel. Later that patch is considered bad - but nobody consult with you about mainstream development and make agreement what to do and you should spend money for fixing things which are working. But you are bound with contracts, obligations and schedules and spending money on commercial product development.

Moreover, you do a patch but there is no a reliable way that your patch will be included in any form (even adjusted) in mainstream build... Would you like to establish a solid commercial plan on this shaky ground?

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Why doesn't google's software run on a standard linux kernel?

Why can't i install an 'android app' on maemo, or debian?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
Why doesn't google's software run on a standard linux kernel?

Why can't i install an 'android app' on maemo, or debian?
Why can't I install a Maemo app on Android, Ubuntu or Moblin?