Active Topics

Notices

@NokNok770
Maybe you have used a not compatible inputfile? I made direct conversion from DVD, no filesplit (if not selectet) and the merger/splitter function works fine for me with manual settings.

Last edited by niko; 2006-01-05 at 16:25.

Maybe this program can't do it, but if I have 1 movie that is composed of 4 divx file. Can I combine them and then convert it to nokia 770 size or convert them and then combine them?...whicever is best. And I'm experiencing video/audio sync problem.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I ripped 12 Monkeys (my only DVD) and the video/audio quality were great. It's currently converting to 770 format, except I don't have an RSMMC big enough to handle it.

Can anyone comment on the quality of DVD -> DVD Catalyst -> 770 Media Converter quality?

I'm not a quality-phile, but if there are long stutters (over a second or two long) that's disappointing.

I never had long stutters.
Quality should be equal if you choose the same settings. Both are using mencoder.
(DVD Catalyst uses also ffmpeg, dont know when)
I hope "->" does not mean that you are going to convert a "catalysfile" with "media converter" again :-)

Last edited by niko; 2006-01-06 at 03:48.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
It did, only because I wanted a rip for the PC. I suppose I could've just used DVD Catalyst again, but meh.

Originally Posted by Milhouse
The 770 is very picky about resolution - what are the properties of the video on your RS-MMC, i.e what resolution, bit rate etc? Did you choose the Nokia options when performing the conversion? With any video over 352x208 you'll most likely have problems playing it on the 770.

I used the Nokia 770 settings in DVD Catalyst, 352 x 208

Kevin

Last edited by Kevint; 2006-01-07 at 09:31.

Question, I ripped a movie with dvd decrypter and now I got all these vobs files. Do I just select all of them and convert?.....will it be one file I can put on my rs-mmc to be viewed on the 770?

Thanks...

Originally Posted by NokNok770
Question, I ripped a movie with dvd decrypter and now I got all these vobs files. Do I just select all of them and convert?.....will it be one file I can put on my rs-mmc to be viewed on the 770?

Thanks...
Yup, that's how you do it. With the freeware converters, you'll get separate mpeg4 files. I personally don't like to merge the output from the Vob files. It's easier to navigate the movie with it broken into half hour chunks on tthe Nokia. I look at this as a feature, not a bug. Just name the output files so the get listed in order.

Last edited by j.pickens; 2006-01-06 at 23:40.

I downloaded this yesterday and fiddled around with it for a while. I'm really impressed, this is a killer ap for the 770. I found that if you used the preset Nokia 770 resolution but went into the advanced settings and set the stretch to 40, it perfectly filled the screen. Looks awesome. Don't forget to go into advanced settings and change the default from mono to stereo and set pass to 2.

UPDATE--

I've done some more testing on this software and found the settings that seem to work the best. Your results may vary.

Set resolution of the Nokia-Nokia770 default

set kbps to 500 for large size/high quality (ie a full length DVD will take up about 550 MB, 400 for medium size/quality (DVD will be about 350MB) or 200 for small size/poor quality. It depends on what your needs are-- I have two 1GB memory cards so I can take lots of stuff on plane trips. If you don't have big memory cards you will be limited.

Set audio to stereo and framerate to 15, pass to 2, and stretch width to 40 for full-width video.

Works great!

Last edited by eye.surgeon; 2006-01-10 at 06:47.

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Cow Town, CA
Not to thread crap here, but for those of us on linux desktops that wish to use a GUI for DVD conversion, I've found that the perl-based dvd::rip works wonderfully with the 770.

Use the AVI container, the ffmpeg library, and mpeg4 codec and you're all set.

As long as you downsize the movie to a height of no more than 208 it works fine.

If anyone is interested I can throw together a quick dvd::rip tutorial.