Active Topics

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on May 2010 @ City of Angels
Originally Posted by evil_m0nkey View Post
Well, I am saying farewell to N900

The community has been great. I had loads of fun.

But I am moving on. I am not trolling, just felt like saying how I felt like

http://n900blog.wordpress.com/2010/0...00-dissapoint/

Hope you guys have better luck and Nokia does eventually deliver.
N900 is not for average people who wish to just push a button and get everything works for them. FYI it works like your PC/MAC. No App is needed to use the N900. Just open the web browser and surf. There are several Navigation SW that works with N900 they fix the OVI USELESS MAP problem. One thing I have say about N900 as phone device it still needs some tweeking. But bang for bucks, nothing comes close to N900. not even the IDIOT_PHONE or iphone.
So long & Good luck

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by imperiallight View Post
(Cutting and pasting instead of linking for some odd reason)
Funny, I don't see the words "BAN IMPERIALLIGHT" in there anywhere. I was asking why moderators weren't taking down a post that was advocating doing harm to employees of the company where this forum is hosted. I wasn't asking them to BAN anyone... Way to be an ***uming person. Just because you would ban people you disagree with doesn't mean everyone thinks the way you do, Mr. Projector. (Is that where the nic is from? You're projecting so much, like the old imperial projectors? Imperial Light? I get it now!)

What about the follow up? Why are you here if you don't own an N900? Did you own an NX00? If not, why are you here at all? If you're "waiting for Android", there are plenty of other phones with similar hardware specs available right now running Android. Your wait is over, go buy one, or join their forum to complain and "wait for MeeGo" on their device.

The Following User Says Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 267 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Campinas, SP, Brazil
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
@Patola

You seemed like a real up-and-comer, but I think (...)

Let's forget about Nokia for a second. Are you into graphics or OpenGL? As I'm sure you know, OpenGL ES 2.0 is the standard across latest Android, iPhone OS, Symbian, Maemo 5 and MeeGo 1.0 (?)(...)

Come back into the fold, there's plenty of solid open source middleware to play with inside Maemo 5. It's truly a candy store. Also, GTK isn't going anywhere soon, so if you need UI stability there's nothing wrong with it. We all will make the switch to Qt when the time is right.
I didn't get your point. I was not talking about graphics, I was not talking about cross-platform development, I was not talking about open-source middldeware, I was talking about PR1.2 being late and your response was a big ad hominem (walk in the desert? lol) with some fuzzy ideas.

Maybe I'm stupid, in that case please try and make a better explanation.

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
I can see why Gerbick got so angry with you, follow my posts from the start.

Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
How many more would quit if they did an update and things broke? You'd start losing core audience at that point.
Which is not what I am advocating. Quite the opposite. There are different levels of importance and impact to bugs. They can prioritise the most important, I said that very clearly.

When you hold back bugfixes because of bugs, you are really doing no good, because you're letting the previous bugs s-c-r-e-w up with the user experience.

Besides, as I already say, if you take too long people stop reporting bugs because they don't feel like they get the fixes. Some bugs even need several iterations of patches and feedback to get fixed, and by taking so long for such a patch Nokia is ensuring they'll never be fixed.

So, if you try to solve and squat every single slight bug of the package of bugfixes, you end up with much more bugs than before.

And there are the other consequences that I already said in my previous posts, I won't be repeating them.

Yes, I agree whole heartedly that they should be putting the update out in extras-testing or extras-devel for early adopters. (It's a package set after all, you have the mechanism... why not do it?)
This might be a good way to manage the situation, but I was talking about an official, timely PR1.2.

I still don't get this "feeling of lack of support" though that people are whining about.
Maybe you don't, but you have to agree that too many people feel it. Too many people are "whining". And many are giving up. Even if it is illusory, it has a real effect. So, even if it was for public relations matters, it would be worth to have a timely PR1.2 (even if a not very comprehensive one).

Nokia has released 2 major firmware updates in the past 6 months for this device. That beats any device I've ever had, from any manufacturer as far as updates to a working system to add features and stability. Can you name one other phone where you got software updates within 6 months of buying it? One phone? Anyone? Anyone at all?
It's completely different. They marked bugs as fixed in the bugtracker as early as january and we still don't have the fix. Using certain components common to the open-source ecology implies some timely actions. Also, there's the whole QT 4.6 issue and application compatibility and availability. They really s-c-r-e-w-d up. They should be trying to catch up, to solve the issue, but no, they are resting on their b-u-t-t-s, maybe slowly and calmly trying to solve some minor bugs with PR1.2.

We've seen a version of 1.2 on some devices being marketed now for areas that need alternate input methods. Clearly there's still support, and those updates are being integrated.
Not close enough.

It may not be in the form or at the speed we want it to be at, but it's still there. And in a week or a month or later when the next release comes out, it will be here.
That's the problem.
We waited that week. And many others.
We waited that month. And many others.
We are tired of waiting. We paid money and we don't have the return of investment. Many of us happily advocated the N900, enthusiastically boosted Nokia and such.

Just as a frame of reference, the iPhone (which everyone seems to want to compare this against) didn't get a single update for 13 months after it's initial launch.
They at least announced the update dates many months in advance. The value customer feedback. Nokia is mute, it doesn't say anything, just stupid responses like "it will be released when it's ready".

It didn't have MMS either, and didn't get it until that update. But I didn't see people abandoning it because it "lacked support" or a new update wasn't out every 3 months.
Was there any bugtracker saying some bugs were "fixed"?

Originally Posted by Patola View Post
Was there any bugtracker saying some bugs were "fixed"?
You really have no idea how software development works, do you?

Originally Posted by schettj View Post
You really have no idea how software development works, do you?
It would be better if you said exactly how I'm wrong.

In fact I do know how software development works. I worked 5 years as a software developer. And you are not bullying me into retracting by ad hominem.

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
It would be better if you said exactly how I'm wrong.

In fact I do know how software development works. I worked 5 years as a software developer. And you are not bullying me into retracting by ad hominem.
I wouldn't pay too much attention to shettj, looking at his posting history I'd approximate that about 20% of his posts are to slam/lecture or ridicule other people. Just place him on ignore and move on.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by imperiallight View Post
I can see why Gerbick got so angry with you, follow my posts from the start.
Hey, hey... hey

No bringing up my name in the N900 area. I'm slacking off on my posting in the N900 areas, loving the Opera build for Maemo 4 and my N810.

I'm innocent this time. I have to be.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Maybe I'm stupid, in that case please try and make a better explanation.
I probably should have have quoted you because I was feebly trying to talk you off the ledge from an older post.

I feel the same way. Tired of *****ing and moaning, I've just became quieter. Stopped my plans of developping apps for the N900, stopped helping people on forums, stopped "living" my N900.
I read this and thought, "All this over the delay of PR 1.2? What a spoiled little b*tch." But whatever, to each his own.

But what I dislike the most is the twisted sense of unreality on these forums. It's incredible that there are people still defending Nokia's delay of PR1.2, saying stuff like 'it will be done when it's ready', presenting lame excuses like longstanding bugs and so on.
I didn't think too much of this because it just seemed like more of the "my life is so empty because PR 1.2 isn't here" bullsh*t that we've all grown accustomed to.

I hate Nokia with passion. I'd like to do really bad things to their management staff. I do like Linux, with all its power and freedom, though. Kudos to Nokia's technical team, employed by a company undeserving their talents.
But then there was this whopper of foulness and cluelessness. Where do you think the n900 hardware and software came from? Do you think Maemo and its hardware got the green light because the talented technical team pitched it and championed it? Wake up.

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post: