Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Originally Posted by Bernard Wei View Post
IMHO releasing an upgrade needs a lot more testing to ensure all possible versions of N900 at various stages of use can be upgrade smoothly with no issues. It's not as simple as releasing a brand new pr1.2 software for HK where only a newly flashed phone needs to be considered.

I think they should have communicated better and not let the user hanging since software development isn't an exact science and can be unpredictable.
I see what you mean, but if that is the case that the testing and regression procedures is what takes so much time, then Nokia could have made very good use of the community by using release candidates. Look what happened with the leaked one. It didn't take long until the community had reported a lot of pros and cons and odd behaviours with that version. they should make use of the open software concept as far as possible I think. Then of course, if some parts of the closed code actually contains some trade secrets then I understand why it could be sensitive to release it prematurely, its also a matter of trust in their products as a whole. If they would have released untested crap after crap after crap, there would not really be any improvement of the confidence in their products in general.
Guess they have to move with a little care even if its partly an open source product, or perhaps even especially careful in such case. It's a somewhat tricky question I suppose, but indeed Nokia should have been better with information to the public and customers. As it is now, it is just a bit too silent. What is actually irritating is that there doesn't seem to be any separation of bug and feature releases whatsoever. One may wonder how they are thinking there, the public patience could have been much better if they now and then were fed with some cumulative fixes, at least for the bugs that's possible to fix that way without performing a full upgrade.

But then again, I have to repeat it here: Personally I do love my N900, and I wouldn't trade it with any other smartphone/internet tablet out there. In fact, there is none as far as I know.

Last edited by Larswad; 2010-05-11 at 22:29.

It has always been my opinion that we are not looking beyond a PR 1.4 (as in two more PRs after 1.2). PR 1.3 will come to fix a few things and add more features, and 1.4 will be the customary update after Meego (probably minor) to make Maemo users feel unabandoned.

It really makes no sense in bugs being marked "fixed" several months ago, and not asking the reported to verify the issue is solved.
I mean , now we would I even bother reporting bugs?

Originally Posted by Matan View Post
This is such a lame excuse, that I know no one from Nokia will actually try to say something like that. They could release PR1.2 with QT 4.6 and some obvious bug fixes in February. Then they could release PR1.3 in March with more fixes and features that were tested then. Then PR1.4 in April with more features and more bug fixes. Then in May release PR1.5 which is the "really so good that it is what should have been on the N900 when released". Instead they choose to leave us for months suffering bugs that are "fixed" in bugzilla.

Actually, at the start of March we got the answer from Konttori:
"maemo.org bugzilla is still not the one we are actively looking at. We have been having so much internally known issues that we have still focused mostly on those. We plan to switch direction in a weeks time"
So at least until March 1st, and probably even until now, Nokia ignored bugs.maemo.org. Maybe the "fixed"s were added by a script that selected bugs at random.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

Posts: 126 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Italy
http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/12/s...une-4-for-199/

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/13/s...o-vodafone-uk/

Just to give Nokia the example of WORKING PHONES!

I do not give a damn about PR 1.2 anymore, I am gonna use the n900 with android... even Winmo.... but not stupid maemo which takes 7 sec to open my contacts list... We are not on the 90's anymore!

The Following User Says Thank You to Endri For This Useful Post:
Posts: 322 | Thanked: 305 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by Endri View Post
http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/12/s...une-4-for-199/

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/13/s...o-vodafone-uk/

I do not give a damn about PR 1.2 anymore, I am gonna use the n900 with android... even Winmo.... but not stupid maemo which takes 7 sec to open my contacts list... We are not on the 90's anymore!
I have read couple of your comments and I have to say you are a ranter of the ranters. I suggest you sell your N900 and spare us with your useless comments if you don't have anything constructive to say.

I'm all for critisism but this is just useless whining. By the way have you used those phones you linked?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bbin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 229 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Endri View Post

maemo which takes 7 sec to open my contacts list.
There are many working Nokia phones.
If yours takes 7 seconds to open the contact list - your N900 maybe has a software problem. Such things happened often and not only with Maemo/Nokia phones.

Please stop arguing and blame Nokia, you just need only to reflash your phone using NSU or flasher 3.5.
It is so simple.
Pay attention to make Back Up of your settings, contacts and data before reflash.

Use your energy for good things.
Regards.

Might the delay also be down to some SDK issues?

http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?p=732981

At least there is a hint of a release date there, "some weeks still but not months" :P

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Rotterdam - Netherlands, the
I dont think we'll get PR1.2... We'll probably get PR1.2.1 or even PR1.3.
Or are our version and the HK version 2 different versions.

Will we have handwriting recognition btw?!

Posts: 374 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hungary
Samsung gives the internal firmwares for public in every week for testing.
Windows Mobile, Android, Bada are became very stable and useable, not like Maemo 0-5, and I guess MeeGo will be defected too.

I dont want any device surrounding me that Nokia is handling, ever!
Imagine that, your car system is based on Meego that Nokia is develpoing! Very crappy!

Tags
black hole, vortex of dumb