Code:
cd MyDocs
wget http://mikie.dy.fi/maemo/sliderotate-diablo.install
then just run it from the file manager. Restart the device, reinstall Xrandr support from sliderotate, and restart again. Should work from there.

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
God I hope you're a hot chick cause I feel like kissing ya!
(Disclaimer, if you're not...then a handshake will have to do).

Seems like wget was the missing part all along. I had to install it first but after that following your instructions was very easy.

The only 'quirk' I am seeing now is that I can't seem to get it to automatically go to portrait mode when I close the slider (it goes to landscape perfectly fine automatically when I open the keyboard..)

Have you come across this?
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Last edited by silvermountain; 2010-05-15 at 05:43.

Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
God I hope you're a hot chick cause I feel like kissing ya!
(Disclaimer, if you're not...then a handshake will have to do).

Seems like wget was the missing part all along. I had to install it first but after that following your instructions was very easy.

The only 'quirk' I am seeing now is that I can't seem to get it to automatically go to portrait mode when I close the slider (it goes to landscape perfectly fine automatically when I open the keyboard..)

Have you come across this?
Sorry bro, I may be able to pull off a skirt, but not in a manner which many would consider socially acceptable (but a handshake or 'bro-fist' would still be fine)

Can't say I've had it not return to portrait mode after it automatically switches to landscape mode (from sliding), try disabling it and re-enabling it?

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Thanks, I'll try to uninstall and re-install.
I've also had three complete system freezes today (so bad that I actually had to take out the battery as after a minute it was still unresponsive).

As this has not happened to me before I can only 'blame' Sliderotate (or rather - the combination of sliderotate and slidelock (there might be some residual left from slidelock).

I'll try uninstall, etc and if that fails..uh...I might do another reflash and do it all from scratch as I would really, really like the auto-portrait feature to work.

EDIT: Uninstalled, rebooted, re-installed, rebooted, set it up, rebooted and still the same thing - power-button will rotate and it will return to landscape when closing the keyboard - but it will NOT go to portrait mode automatically when sliding the keyboard shut. Oh well, I might just leave it at that.

Thanks for all the help.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Last edited by silvermountain; 2010-05-15 at 19:58.

Originally Posted by Addison View Post
Sorry for using the word "sexy".
Hey, you needn't apologize to me! Your view of Diablo bugs is between you & your wife as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway re: the OP, yes, the SSU apparently only installs support for screen rotation, presumably making the wiki doc obsolete. You still need to install a program to actually do the rotation.

As an aside, I installed Advanced Backlight b/c that has buttons for orientation, and I must say I'm underwhelmed. First of all, Advanced Backlight itself seems to fight with the Nokia volume control in the status bar. Among other oddities, if I hit mute on the Nokia volume control, it mutes, but then it drops the volume to zero and unmutes! If I just use Advanced Backlight to control the volume, then it's fine, but I wish I could then disable the Nokia volume control. Second of all, not only do many apps not seem to handle the portrait mode that well, the Maemo desktop itself does handle it well. The app menu gets cut off and the status bar covers up the "Home" menu. Now I see why Nokia didn't want to release the patch themselves -- they're obviously not "officially" supporting portrait mode & they don't want to be held accountable as such. But it's still nice to have the option.

For the record, I wanted to follow up to my previous response that maligned Advanced Backlight (original tmo thread here). In reading the app description, it dawned on me that the developer probably intended the user to remove the Nokia "Display" and "Sound" items from the status bar. To do this, you go the the Control Panel, hit "Panels", choose the "Status bar" tab, and uncheck "Sound" and "Display". Not only does this remove the volume setting conflict I described in my last post, it frees up space on your status bar. This in & of itself makes installing the application worth it, IMHO.

As we all talked about here, sliderotate will flash the kernel. Giving us a diablo with rotation support and the sliderotate function. The community SSU also gives us rotation support but no sliderotate. I have a problem with that, I like sliderotate!

So here is what I did: I am currently up to date with the SSU. Now I used the sliderotate.install. What this did was flash the kernal, adding rotation support, and give me the sliderotate function. But I didn't need to kernal flash, and I now am not current with the SSU (or so I understand, I welcome corrections :P). So know what happens is a get an update in application manager, for the OS. It has a red exclamation and the update says it's 'broken, but able to update'.
Now I remember having this problem early in the SSU testing. The problem (as I understand) was the hacked kernal from slide rotate. What fixed it was updating with SSU WITHOUT sliderotate. So I thought it was happening again. I went ahead and installed the update. But this time it worked.
Now I could be wrong, but I believe I am now up to date with the Community SSU and have the sliderotate function.

I am very pleased ^_^