Active Topics

Notices

@f2hak: Things to check.

1) Did you wipe clean both /home/user/.d1x-rebirth/ AND /opt/d1x-rebirth/ before installing the package in extras-devel? If the dirs don't exist to begin with and it's your first time installing D1X than it's fine.

2) Did you put the 2 data files in EITHER /home/user/.d1x-rebirth/ or /opt/d1x-rebirth/ ?

3) Are they full retail (not shareware) Descent data files patched to at least ver 1.4a (last ver is 1.5 IINM)? I've done this because DXX and D2X-XL for my old Ubuntu needs this as well.

4) Are they properly named? Make sure they are in full lowercase (descent.pig and descent.hog).

And as for MIDI impact on performance, I'm clocking an average of 36-38 FPS with the cockpit on, 44-46 with it off. Running at normal stock clockspeed, also with 'presistant debris' in misc options enabled (levels filled with the floating parts of enemiy bots are great fun).

I'd say it's acceptable, besides the level 2-3 madness inducing music problem. Levels 1, 4 and 5 has beem fine so far, no timitidy craziness going on.

But the timidity rendering is good, if not great. The Oggs and my old Sound Blaster 16 on the first PC i played it on are trumped easily.

Last edited by eiraku; 2010-05-15 at 04:26.

The Following User Says Thank You to eiraku For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
1) Did you wipe clean both /home/user/.d1x-rebirth/ AND /opt/d1x-rebirth/ before installing the package in extras-devel? If the dirs don't exist to begin with and it's your first time installing D1X than it's fine.

3) Are they full retail (not shareware) Descent data files patched to at least ver 1.4a (last ver is 1.5 IINM)? I've done this because DXX and D2X-XL for my old Ubuntu needs this as well.

I think these may be the probs, its full version, but unsure what version..

thanks.

Last edited by F2thaK; 2010-05-15 at 04:38.

this sux...............

tried to patch game files, but no go

tried all above , still does not work

Last edited by F2thaK; 2010-05-15 at 05:40.

Check threads about getting D1X or D2X-XL running in Ubuntu or other desktop *nix, they should be applicable in terms of giving you the required steps to patch the data files.

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by f2thak View Post
this sux...............

tried to patch game files, but no go

tried all above , still does not work
Could you run the command d1x-rebirth in xterm and check if it gives an error message?

problem has been solved, i had incorrect version data files

OP should make a note saying "needs version x"

thanks

Could someone port D2X-XL? I like good graphics!

Screenshots

Originally Posted by f2thak View Post
problem has been solved, i had incorrect version data files

OP should make a note saying "needs version x"

thanks
To be exact, like I said before, DXX ports usually require the data files from a PATCHED version of Descent, IINM, version 1.4 or something.

As for music, sticking with MIDI for now. It just sounds better (besides the glitches in levels 3 and 2, Timidity sounds marvellous) plus I don't have to install OGG support. CPU hogging is also low enough with MIDI.

Originally Posted by megaexer View Post

Screenshots
Havta ask Lord Nelson but I don't really think so. It's SLOW even on my CURRENT PC, I really do think it will fry the N900, even OCed.

But if it could be optimised enough to run well, we'll have a killer showoff game for the N900.

Last edited by eiraku; 2010-05-15 at 13:20.

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by megaexer View Post

Screenshots
I don't like the D2X-XL-graphics, so no - I will not port it
And don't think that it would run very well anyway so this would be a waste of time in my opinion

also, thats not original descent 2, it has hi res textures